PDA

View Full Version : WM Pod 30?

proph
2005-01-13, 15:14
Has anyone used a Western Mountaineering Pod 30 with their HH, or other hammock? I have a new HH, and want to get a lightweight down bag to use with it in 3-season hiking in Western Carolina. I like the idea of the pad sleeve, which seems to fit perfectly with the idea of hammock sleeping.

Any comments would be appreciated. I have also considered the Big Agnes Zirkel 20, which is a bit heavier.

Thanks!

proph
2005-02-08, 15:29
Sorry to reply to my own post, but I decided to get a Rab Quantum 200 top bag. I ordered from Up and Under in Wales for 99 pounds plus 15 for shipping. So far I'm really impressed with the bag. It's warm and fluffy and crazy light. I will have some more pictures and details about its suitability for hammocking when night temps warms up a bit.

One nice thing is that the down-less area is wide enough at the bottom for a 20 inch inflatable pad. I'm thinking that on cold nights I could use a 20 inch pad on the inside and my wider closed cell pad under the whole thing.

It doesn't have a zipper, so the way I've been getting in it is to stand up inside my HH and slip the bag on like a huge one-legged pair of pants. Then, I can lie down and get adjusted like normal.

Oh, another thing I like is that it is a beautiful shade of black.

Bryan

peter_pan
2005-02-08, 19:36
A no zipper bag and a hammock...???...sounds like a potential for hassle to me...recommend some serious practice asap so it can be returned if necessary... quilts really are the sweet answer in hammocks.

Lanthar
2005-02-09, 14:25
A no zipper bag and a hammock...???...sounds like a potential for hassle to me...recommend some serious practice asap so it can be returned if necessary... quilts really are the sweet answer in hammocks.

eh, that Rab bag can convert to a quilt in about 20s with a pair of scissors (though it would be a permanent chang, it would then weigh marginally less)...

Lanthar
2005-02-09, 14:55
hey, did you get the quantum 200 or the qtop?

proph
2005-02-10, 12:36
It's the Quantum Top bag. I said 200 because that's the down weight, but now I see that it's not part of the name.

Scroll down:
Quantum Top Bag (http://www.upandunder.co.uk/eshop/catalogue/testbs.asp?Manufacturer_ID=5&Activity_ID=21&Description_ID=24)

I concede Peter_Pan's point about the hassle, but I haven't had much of a problem. The pertex is so slippery that I can get it on and off without much problem, and I like the advantage of having your pad in there with you. I have toyed with the idea of opening it up, but I'm fairly broad-shouldered (and squirm in my sleep), and I like how it keeps me wrapped up tight.

I was looking for the lightest bag I could get without spending a fortune, and so far I like it. I am planning on sewing my own comforter this summer; it will thicker for colder temps, and be fairly wide at the top so that my shoulders and arms don't spread out from under it.

[ps: This site (and whiteblaze) has been so helpful to me. Thank you all.]

Bryan