PDA

View Full Version : making the move.

Mostly Cloudy
2005-01-29, 14:39
Hi,
I'm ready to buy my first hammock. I've narrowed it down to a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe. I have 2 questions. Is there any advantage to buying directly from Hennessy as opposed to getting a nice price discount buying on Ebay? And, if I do pay the extra money, could someone explain the difference between the fly which comes with the hammock and the "70d hex pu-coated polyester ripstop" alternative? I tried calling them, but got an answering machine.
Thanks.

Jerry

SGT Rock
2005-01-29, 20:39
The Pu coating if I remember correctly is a coated nylon instead of sil-impregnated nylon.

I can't think of any reason not to buy a hammock from e-bay as long as it is in good condition and it is whay you want.

BQuick
2005-02-05, 16:39
Another thought is to make one yourself. I have been refining my knots and reasearch, and you can make one for much less than buying it. I have found that it is also more pleasing to use gear that you have made yourself. If you need any ideas, let me know. I am in the process of making one now that is similar to the hennessy.

If you are going to buy one, I recommend the hennessy and ebay is ok to buy from. Just check out the seller and ask lots of questions before you purchase.

Mostly Cloudy
2005-02-07, 17:43
I bought a new Explorer Deluxe Asym and the snakeskins for $132 + $15 + 10 sh. My next question is about setting it up in my basement. I have no trees on my property. It's too cold for an oh so brief field test. I figure I could intall some eye bolts into the mortart joints of the cinder blocks. Any rule of thumb as to how high I should put them? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I bouild a stand instead? Anyone have any plans along those lines? Thanks for your time.

Jerry

Mutinousdoug
2005-02-07, 20:31
Jerry,
I made a stand out of 2x6's last summer that works pretty good. only takes 4 boards 8'-0" long; 8 carriage bolts 4 lag screws and 2 eyehooks (the hooks aren't really eyes-just hooks for clothes lines). It's light enough to drag on and off my back porch into the yard and only takes about 15 minutes to asemble/disassemble if I need to move it in the SUV.
I made plans and a bill of materials but I put them on Autocad so you'd need a copy of that to open the file and they don't copy to bitmap well. I could draw you a sketch and scan into a file to send but my HP printer doesn't talk to my Dell computer in "scan mode" :confused: . I could fax it to you if you want.
Anyway, the hooks end-up being 12' apart and 5'-0" off the ground. you could lower this 6" if you didn't have the boards running under you.
I just took a pic but it's too big to attach (100.8k instead of 100 k max)
and I got to run. I'll get back to you.

SGT Rock
2005-02-07, 20:33
e-mail me the file and I will put it up somewhere so you can link to it in a post rather than an attachment,

Mutinousdoug
2005-02-07, 23:09
I'm hoping this will include a picture of the stand. In any case i'm going to dig up my Autocad file and send to the Rock

Mutinousdoug
2005-02-07, 23:22
OK Top,
Let's try this after the boss shows me how to reduce the file size
(Wish I could see the attachments before I post)
Doug

Mutinousdoug
2005-02-07, 23:39
FINALLY!!! :damnmate:

SGT Rock
2005-02-07, 23:46
Have you tried putting a Hennessy on it? It looks like a good solution if a HH will hang off it.

Mutinousdoug
2005-02-08, 00:32
I put up the Oaxaca hammock cause that's what I put up when the sun is shining on the back porch in February. The HH is what I built it for an it's actually better, since the Mexican hammock is made to hang looser.
I am trying to e-mail you through your "contact us" link but my 'puter locks up and says "mail client not set up" etc. and loads 50,000 Hikinghq sites.
You must have my e-mail address; write me and I'll reply you this Autocad file.

SGT Rock
2005-02-08, 00:39
I'll do it tommorrow. Sounds like something in your e-mail software is buggybecause the contact us is simply an e-mail link. Like this: sgtrock@hikinghq.net

Mutinousdoug
2005-02-08, 01:24
I apologize to all who might be reading this thread. The bill of materials calls for (8) 3/8"x5" carriage bolts (with associated washers and nuts); and (8) 3/8"x 3.5" lag screws (with washers) and (2) eyebolts (nuts and washers, and I have to look at the length of the eyebolts) as well as the (4) 2x6x8ft boards. All of this is available from your local big box store.
The uprights are about 5'-6" tall and the cutoffs from them are the 30" legs on each end of the stringers. The uprights are 55 degrees from the floor to the underside of the boards. And the hooks are 5'-0" from the floor.
This is all from memory, so tomorrow or Wednesday, I'll verify whatever Sgt Rock can't make out of my file.
Goodnight

SGT Rock
2005-02-08, 09:57
Can you export the file in some sort of 2D bluprint, this is what the file impots into:

http://hikinghq.net/user_projects/Mutinousdoug/HAMMOCKSTAND.jpg

Mutinousdoug
2005-02-08, 11:54
Wierd.
It appears to be missing a few layers. What Program are you opening the drawing with?
I've got to go to work, so it will be this afternoon at least before I can get back on this.

Later

Mostly Cloudy
2005-02-08, 12:28
Hi,
I updated my email address and was not allowed to post. Hence the delayed reply.

Mutinousdoug - Front Row! That's exactly what I've been looking for. A simple project, that is within my somewhat limited capabilities. I thank you and Sarge for your efforts to get the blueprint online. One small point. My hammock recommendations state a span of 13 - 26 feet is required. Can I fudge with 12? Maybe increase the height to increase the span? Anyway, thanks again.

Jerry

SGT Rock
2005-02-08, 14:24
Wierd.
It appears to be missing a few layers. What Program are you opening the drawing with?
I've got to go to work, so it will be this afternoon at least before I can get back on this.

Later

Corel PhotoPaint 10. It only alows me to pull one view.

Lanthar
2005-02-08, 17:26
Corel PhotoPaint 10. It only alows me to pull one view.

Hey, I sent you an email, forward the drawing onto me, and I'll clean it up and put it in a more web friendly view

Mutinousdoug
2005-02-08, 18:02
I'm back for awhile.
Rock;
Autocad allows you to put various information on different "layers" that can be turned on or off depending on what you want to see or print. The border outline is on one layer and the text is on another; dimensions are on another yet and so on.
I took the file you showed in your post and saved it to my harddrive and then opened it with the default Windows photo software (probably "paintshop" or something) and the dimensions came up on display. But I had to exit the program to print and then I got what you show in your post. (?) I'll keep fooling with it, but the information is there in what you posted (it's just not displayed).

Jerry,
I'd go ahead and increase the height by 6". there is plenty of length in the 8' boards if you use five of them for the project.That should give you almost 13'-0". 55 degrees is almost the same as 45 so the span will increase equally as you increase the height (actually double, since you're doing it to both ends).
The bill of materials calls for one 12' board and three 8' boards. I couldn't find a 12' board so I just used five 8' ones. The my legs ended up being 32" instead of 48" so I could get them down the stairs of the porch. That's plenty wide unless you have a 3-12 year old who will insist on swinging in the hammock until he pulls it over on top of himself. Boo-frikin-Hoo. The stand legs will undoubtedly pull out of the stringers about that time requiring a another trip to the lumber yard.
Incidentally, the leg attachment is not described in the drawing very well, if we can get the drawing straightened out... just don't line the lag screws up with the upper stringer screws (they'll intersect and interfere with each other) and don't put the upper lag screws too close to the top of the stringer: they split on my first go round.

Mutinousdoug
2005-02-08, 18:20
Rock,
Sorry: Ignore the second paragraph of my last post. I opened another file and started editing it-NOT the one you sent. I didn't find the dimensions in the file you posted.

I'm still working on it.
I just e-mailed you a .bmp file of the drawing. It's 3.5 MB but it was legible when it left here.

SGT Rock
2005-02-08, 21:16
Trying Again:
http://hikinghq.net/user_projects/hamstand.jpg

Mutinousdoug
2005-02-08, 23:26
OK Rock, that's much better;
But the whole publishing saga was a little painful. Was that the .bmt file or the file Lanthar had to fix?
Usually the .bmt files don't translate with enough resolution to read the text. This seems fine.
Jerry,
I made all the cuts with a radial arm saw and the holes with my electric hand drill, and layed everything out on my garage floor.
I tried glueing (titebond) all the joints but, unless you keep the nuts tight (which I try to do), the frame will flex enough to pop the bond when you get in. The whole thing would hold up better indoors, if you're into that sort of hammocking.
Make sure all the lumber you buy is straight.
And looks like the bill of materials is missing the 3/8" nuts you'll need 8 of to attach the stringers to the uprights
Hope this works for you.

Doug

SGT Rock
2005-02-08, 23:33
It was the BMP. Corel Photo Paint 10did the conversion for better internet speed over a BMP

Major Slacker
2005-02-09, 16:25
My next question is about setting it up in my basement. I figure I could intall some eye bolts into the mortart joints of the cinder blocks. Any rule of thumb as to how high I should put them?
I have a Mayan hammock on the balcony, and I've tested my packing hammocks on the same hooks.

I used a masonry bit to drill into the mortar between the bricks, squeezed some epoxy into the holes and screwed a hook into each hole. The hammock ain't coming down without the wall. I don't know the exact size of the screw hook, but it was about 1-1/2" across. I think I used a 1/4" drill bit. The hooks are positioned at about eye level and 12 feet apart. You can install hooks in adjacent walls and hang your hammock diagonally across a corner if you don't have walls 12 feet apart.