Okay, here's what it is.......

- the modified hammock

- cord

-homemade pocket tarp

-tent steaks

-zip-lock (or other brand) 1qt bag
----------------------------------------

To make the tarp:

get two large black trashbags and open them, then cut the sides so they open all the way. put them side bu side with a slight over lap in the middle. Tape the two together and your finished!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

the only thing I can't figure out is how to attach the lines for the steaks to the tarp. I thought of using pebbles and tieing the rope around it or for a lighter approach small balls of tin foil. the other thing was just to go buy grommets. Any ideas are appriciated.

Iceman
2005-02-04, 19:37
Shane, you must be a really light weight fellow! At 300lbs, I think I will need a bit more than a trash bag or two. I was thinking for myself an airdrop cargo net or something...not sure.... I am really jealous of you lighter weight guys. While in college, I made a hammock out of a gilnet. Worked great, but a little "tangly" at times. Maybe you Hammock fiends should play around with nylon netting for your hammock? Good luck and keep up the good work!

The Hammocker
2005-02-04, 19:57
The trash bags are for the tarp, look at the modified hammock thread and you'll see what I mean.

Iceman
2005-02-05, 02:14
Thank goodness, and I stand corrected.

The Hammocker
2005-02-05, 20:46
no biggie. oh by the way the tarp needs an extra trashbag to make it longer, I'ts not big enugh.

Major Slacker
2005-02-07, 23:42
…the only thing I can't figure out is how to attach the lines for the steaks to the tarp. I thought of using pebbles and tieing the rope around it or for a lighter approach small balls of tin foil. the other thing was just to go buy grommets. Any ideas are appriciated.
I've used the pebble idea with a space blanket. It worked O.K. but wore holes through after a couple of setups. Sheet bend knots worked at the corners. Duct tape, a little circle of water bottle plastic as reinforcement and a paper punch hole made good enough grommets along the edges.

The Hammocker
2005-02-09, 18:35
A space blanket is a good idea. The only thing I don't like is the shine. Good idea for the grommets.