PDA

View Full Version : Give me a reason not to buy a Gearskin

Munkyboie
2005-02-06, 00:30
Okay, every review I have read raves about these things, but they are expensive, so someone needs to give me a reason not to buy them. I am trying to get a pack that will weigh under 2 lbs. (and the further under 2 the better) and the gearskin seems like the best option. I am making my first attempts at ultralight hiking, so any other suggestions are welcome, this is just the first pack I have not heard anything bad about.

Matt

Lanthar
2005-02-06, 09:40
Okay, every review I have read raves about these things, but they are expensive, so someone needs to give me a reason not to buy them. I am trying to get a pack that will weigh under 2 lbs. (and the further under 2 the better) and the gearskin seems like the best option. I am making my first attempts at ultralight hiking, so any other suggestions are welcome, this is just the first pack I have not heard anything bad about.

Matt

You'll find that Rock loves his, so does someone else around here. The negatives I've heard (other than price) is that you have to learn to pack differently (big deal), and that you REALLY need to communicate with them to make sure you're measuring your torso right.

SGT Rock
2005-02-06, 11:56
Yes, learning a new way to pack, and maybe taking an extra 2-3 minutes to pack over a regular type backpack, that is about it. I love mine and bought another. Now my son and I both use them.

brian
2005-02-06, 14:35
I too bought one, and took a trip to Glencliff to get fitted by Jon, and it has worked out great. I cannot think of any reason why I *wouldnt* buy another one. Learning to pack with it is just another experience (a good one IMHO), and it forces you to stay even neater in camp!

Brian