PDA

View Full Version : Ion Stoves for sale.

SGT Rock
2005-02-07, 16:24
I finished 10 Ion Stoves for sale and this weekend I had a chance to verify the performance, something that was important to me before they went out. I already sold two without even trying, so eight are left...

If you want one, they are $19.99 each and $4.50 for shipping. Payment will be done through PayPal. Depending on how this goes, I plan to make another, much larger batch.

I would especially like people that are serious enough to write back later and tell me what they think.

If you are interested please e-mail me: sgtrock@hikinghq.net. I am going out of town at the end of this week and will be gone almost a month. As soon as we sell out I will post a notice to that effect. I won't be able to make more stoves until I get back from Mississippi, but if we run out and you want to advanced reserve one (no money until I finish them please), then I can put you on a list.

dixicritter
2005-02-17, 15:39
We are down to 4 Ion stoves left to sell out of the original batch of 10. There are 2 blue and 2 red still available.

Nomad
2005-02-17, 16:08
I'm always interested in better stove technology and I'm pretty good at getting other ppl to buy them for me (proving once again you can get along way on looks and a forked tongue :biggrin: )

What's the best way to figure out what the heck your talking about? I should probably know what an "Ion stove" is, but....I don't.

J.D.
2005-02-17, 18:34
What's the best way to figure out what the heck your talking about? I should probably know what an "Ion stove" is, but....I don't.

Secret technology! You gotta *BUY* one to be in on it....

Happy Trails,

J.D.

SGT Rock
2005-02-17, 20:14
Hey Nomad, go to http://hikinghq.net/ionstove/

That is the new site (domain to be set up later) for my new stove. There is a thread about the stoves here on the site.

dixicritter
2005-02-18, 08:27
Make that now 1 blue and 2 red ones left.

dixicritter
2005-02-18, 12:57
Ok folks... down to the last two stoves. We have 1 blue and 1 red left. The next run of them won't be until SGT Rock gets back home.

For anyone interested, there is an order form on his Ion site... it does work. :D There is one other product listed on his catalog right now, until his return, and that is the windscreen kit. Here's the link to his catalog... http://hikinghq.net/osCommerce/catalog/

Thank you to all who have ordered so far. Hope you enjoy the stove as much as he enjoyed making them. :)

dixicritter
2005-02-20, 08:39
Only 1 red left now. :D

dixicritter
2005-02-20, 13:05
We are now officially sold out! Thanks to all who have ordered.

New stoves will be made upon SGT Rock's return home. If you would like us to add your name to the advance order list let us know via email or pm. Thanks.

Blues Brothers
2005-03-06, 18:28
Rock...

I've never seen someone improve upon an improvement as much as you. Stoves look really nice. If I get a chance, I am going to try to make one myself based upon the directions. How did you make the burner hole? Scoring and cutting or drilling? Are you still using grape juice cans/red bull sized cans? Does the copper faced windscreen work better than the oven liner alternative? I like the titanium stand better than the hardware cloth of the mini-V8 - less rusting. Have you tried putting a fiberglass wick (like the cat stove) inside the Ion for a more even burn?

For someone as weight conscious as you, I am surprised you are painting the stoves. I know, I know... marketability. Anyway, great work and congratulations on the newfound success - keep up the good work. I may just end up buying a kit to save myself some time. At least the money would be going to someone worthwhile.

Oh yea... it looks like this latest improvement may kick Miss Janets butt in a duel. She's always salivating at putting your stove designs to her test against her "made in 5 minutes" soda can stoves.

Peace, Vince Tomecek

Blues Brothers
2005-03-06, 19:51
... just thinking out loud....

I used the mini-turboV8 stove on my last thru-hike and loved it. It would be nice to see the new ion stove compared the mini-turboV8, pepsi stove, and perhaps the cat stove in the graph. I am curious to see the weight and efficiency numbers of the new ion stove compared to other stoves you have made.

Peace, Vince

SGT Rock
2005-03-06, 20:38
Rock...

I've never seen someone improve upon an improvement as much as you. Stoves look really nice. If I get a chance, I am going to try to make one myself based upon the directions. How did you make the burner hole? Scoring and cutting or drilling? Are you still using grape juice cans/red bull sized cans? Does the copper faced windscreen work better than the oven liner alternative? I like the titanium stand better than the hardware cloth of the mini-V8 - less rusting. Have you tried putting a fiberglass wick (like the cat stove) inside the Ion for a more even burn?

I made the old juice can hole by scoring and cutting. The newer version uses an aluminum favor tin and the center hole is made with a chassis cutter. The copper coated aluminum is about the same weight, but I can get it in flat sheets and cut to size instead of hacking apart an oven liner, it is just easier for me making mass quantities. I tried putting a fiberglass wick in some prototypes and did see a slight improvement in some areas and a little less performance in others, so given that I wanted to be able to make mass quantities and saw trade offs both ways, I decided no fiberglass in the production model. If you are going to build one, you can still get a lot of the parts by shopping around. However, I also sell the unfinished parts now since I know finding some of them requires you to buy in great bulk, or requires so much searching that it may be impossible:

Titanium: $3.75
http://hikinghq.net/osCommerce/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=31

Finished stand in case you haven't got the tools or skills: $12
http://hikinghq.net/osCommerce/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=30

Stove bodies: $3
http://hikinghq.net/osCommerce/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=37

Finished stoves in case you haven't got the tools or skills: $5
http://hikinghq.net/osCommerce/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=33

Windscreen kit with enough material to make at least 2 of the screens I include: $5
http://hikinghq.net/osCommerce/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=29

You can get both the stove body and the titanium for about $6.75 plus shipping, then you could go get you an aluminum oven liner for about $1 plus tax locally if it meets your size needs. That isn't too bad for a homemade stove where most of the bugs have been worked out for you.

For someone as weight conscious as you, I am surprised you are painting the stoves. I know, I know... marketability. Anyway, great work and congratulations on the newfound success - keep up the good work. I may just end up buying a kit to save myself some time. At least the money would be going to someone worthwhile.

I do offer the system without any paint, but that won't register any difference on a scale. If you want one "natural" then I can do that :D

Oh yea... it looks like this latest improvement may kick Miss Janets butt in a duel. She's always salivating at putting your stove designs to her test against her "made in 5 minutes" soda can stoves.

Peace, Vince Tomecek

She wanted to dual me last spring and I was going to, but we never got around to it. Problem is the dual is to see who would boil fastest, not who is lighter and more fuel efficient. If we were going to do that I may need to make a "dueling stove".

SGT Rock
2005-03-06, 20:38
... just thinking out loud....

I used the mini-turboV8 stove on my last thru-hike and loved it. It would be nice to see the new ion stove compared the mini-turboV8, pepsi stove, and perhaps the cat stove in the graph. I am curious to see the weight and efficiency numbers of the new ion stove compared to other stoves you have made.

Peace, Vince

I do plan to do that, hopefully next week I'll get to doing something like that.

SGT Rock
2005-03-07, 11:45
I now have 10 blue, 9 red, and 9 unfinished stoves completed, and I also have 6 titanium stand sets for the Trangia ready to go. I've already shipped three stoves out.

Additionally I have added a bunch of parts for the Do-It-Yourself crowd.

http://hikinghq.net/osCommerce/catalog/

Get 'em while they are hot!

SGT Rock
2005-03-08, 17:32
Down to 9 red, 7 blue, and 8 natural stoves in one day. I keep this up and I'll ned to make another batch next weekend.

LeifJ
2005-03-09, 09:11
I guess based on the timing, I must have been one of the first IONs you got out the door. I decided to push the stove since I haven't seen any alcohol perform at the low temps you claimed.

I was astounded. I have a trangia, a photon and a V8 and compared to them all. The day was about 32, snow on the table. I lit each in their standard configuration (I use the preheat pan for the v8 stove) the V8 did the best of this group but was struggling horribly to stay lit.

THE ION ROCKED!!!. I lit it and just like the little engine, it kept going. I used 25 ML fuel and got a honkin rolling boil on a pint in 14 min with 32 deg water. I tried a quart and got to about 160 deg after 20 minute.

I was very impressed. Haven't tried the long hauls with in yet...

SGT Rock
2005-03-09, 09:34
Thanks for the compliment. Do you have one of the juice can versions or the newer can version?

SGT Rock
2005-03-14, 16:25
Down to 7 red, 2 blue, and 8 natural stoves left. I also only have 5 of the Trangia titanium stands left.

dixicritter
2005-03-30, 07:24
Update....

We are sold out of the blue stoves. Here's what we have left as of this morning...

6 red and 5 natural stoves
4 Trangia titanium stands
3 simmer plates
6 sand bases
several Tipods
Also several "parts" for the do-it-yourselfers

Rosaleen
2005-04-04, 14:12
Sarge-

If you can make some of these stoves up in time and can swing the rip, bring some to Trailfest. You just might make a few sales and kick start the busisness.

Rosaleen