PDA

View Full Version : Toilet paper substitute

Hog On Ice
2005-02-10, 08:51
This is one of those off the wall sort of ideas that is probably full of crap but anyways :

As I was sitting on the can this morning I thought about the reasonably well known toilet paper substitutes for use in the field and in particular the use of a well shaped rock. I was thinking that it is too bad that the rocks weigh so much and that they are discarded after use and thought of the idea of using a relatively thin plastic "chip" (think potatoe chip or over sized guitar pick) that could after use be cleaned off with leaves dirt or whatever and then wiped off with a little alcohol gel/stove alcohol and packed away for next time. In the relatively short run I think this would be a weight savings even though the chip would not be as multiuse as toilet paper.

Well anyways that is my off the wall product idea for the day - what do ya'll think?

J.D.
2005-02-10, 08:57
This is one of those off the wall sort of ideas that is probably full of crap but

Brings a whole new meaning to Buffalo Chips.

For marketing purposes, what name would you suggest?

"Can Chips"...?

SGT Rock
2005-02-10, 08:59
Remember "Demolition Man"? What you need are three :D

Lanthar
2005-02-10, 11:40
Remember "Demolition Man"? What you need are three :D
And the award for obscure reference of the day goes to...

blackdog
2005-02-10, 12:00
me like that joke!

Didn't know you were such a movie buff, Top.

Mutinousdoug
2005-02-10, 18:13
I confess: I don't get the "Demolition Man" reference.

Why don't you just use your plastic or Ti spoon?
It's ultra light AND multi-use!

SGT Rock
2005-02-10, 18:37
In "Demolition Man" he goes into the latrine and there is no toilet paper, just three seashells. He comes out complaining and they all laugh at him because he doesn't know how to clean himself with the shells. So he just cusses to cause the computer to spit out tickets fining him for language until he gets enough to wipe using the tickets.

Iceman
2005-02-11, 11:57
I really don't mind the t.p. weight all that much...yikes!

deadeye
2005-02-11, 12:49
My wife cleaned my car once, just before a fishing trip, and she threw out the shabby 1/4 roll of TP that was always under the seat. Didn't think to mention it, or replace it! It was either very early or very late in the season, so no leaves on the trees. At that point in life, I had never heard of stones, chips, or shells as substitutes.

Moral of the story: (1) always check your supplies before leaving, and (2) wet topo maps make great TP. :biggrin:

Hog On Ice
2005-02-11, 15:22
reminds me of an old joke about one guy asking another in the Mens room if he had change for a five

Just Plain Jim
2005-02-11, 15:32
Ick!
The chips would definitely have to have smooth or soft edges.

The Hammocker
2005-02-11, 21:30
thats gross. really gross.

Scout
2005-02-12, 07:12
In the relatively short run I think this would be a weight savings even though the chip would not be as multiuse as toilet paper.

Not multiuse? Heck...

1) You could eat Mac-n-Cheese with it
2) You could use it like a toothpick to clean your teeth
3) Scrape mud off your boots (which would also give you practice for scraping...mud...off your bum...

...multiuse - sure it is!

brian
2005-02-12, 20:58
I still think silnylon would be a great TP substitute- very light, multipurpose (use it to knead bread, but maybe not the same peice), and is reusable (simply wipe it off on a tree). Ok, it might not work, but could you imagine.....*wince*

Brian

Sgathak
2005-02-13, 04:54
and is reusable (simply wipe it off on a tree)

****"Hmmmm, where will a find a good place to take a dump??? OH! I know! Ill just follow the BROWN BLAZES!!!!!"****

Major Slacker
2005-02-14, 17:34
reminds me of an old joke about one guy asking another in the Mens room if he had change for a five
D'ja hear the one 'bout the retarded kid selling toothbrushes?

Major Slacker
2005-02-15, 08:13
…a relatively thin plastic "chip" (think potatoe chip or over sized guitar pick) that could after use be cleaned off with leaves dirt or whatever and then wiped off with a little alcohol gel/stove alcohol and packed away for next time.
I've used my driver's license for a pot scraper before, but I don't know about using it for a s--- scraper. I could see using the insurance card or maybe the credit card, but not the DL. The thought of s--- all over my face… Maybe the shovel, if the edges were smoothed a little.

I can see slicing it through dirt and/or using leaves to clean it, but then why not use the leaves for toilet paper? Alcohol? How do you apply the alcohol? Maybe with a piece of toilet paper, but then…

Sgathak
2005-02-15, 08:55
slacker

You have spent way Way WAY too much time thinking about this subject.

Mutinousdoug
2005-02-15, 16:10
This is probably made out of SST but some smart feller here could maybe make some up in Ti?
Seems like the perfect multi-use @ss-wipe/cheeze grater!

Lanthar
2005-02-15, 16:58
This is probably made out of SST but some smart feller here could maybe make some up in Ti?

That is one of the single most perverse things I've ever seen...
:reddy: :banghead:

The Hammocker
2005-02-15, 20:00
slacker

You have spent way Way WAY too much time thinking about this subject.

I agree with you on this one!

Major Slacker
2005-02-15, 21:41
The tear-off, single sheets are a waste.

I've got this thing in the kitchen called a Mouli Shredder -- made in France (where else?) -- with a hand crank. The stuff comes out the end of the cylinder. Suppose it were battery powered and there were a catchment container inside…

Iceman
2005-02-16, 02:30
That is one of the single most perverse things I've ever seen...
:reddy: :banghead:
That is exactly why I like it so much.

Now we know where the term "cutting the cheese" came from...