PDA

View Full Version : New here...

Fox
2005-02-17, 21:54
I'm very interested in the idea of hammock camping, but I want to know- how does one sleep with one's spouse when hammocking? It seems to me, a big part of the great outdoors is enjoying all the ... ahh... private time with one's significant other. LOL
I'm sure it's not just me...

Thanks,
The fox

SGT Rock
2005-02-17, 21:58
If you figure out a good solution to this, let us know :D

Sgathak
2005-02-17, 22:47
Ive been thinking about this a little... nothing special... just a thought or two.

It might be possible to do a "shelter half" set up for couples.

Basically, large woven hammocks can be reasonably (if not extra comfortably) used by 2 people, however their size and weight is prohibitive... however a light fabric hammock without netting or rain cover is possible in decent weights. The 1st person carrys the hammock proper. The 2nd person carrys a zippered or velcroed mozzie net. Both carry a Silnylon poncho. These ponchos, if cut right and given the proper fittings, could be used to make a very effective hammock cover.

deadeye
2005-02-18, 07:37
I'm pretty sure that an actual hammock is out as a long-term solution, but how about some of those floating-suspended tents? Can't think of the name right now, but they would have some advantages of both hammocks and tents, and provide space for two to sleep and... move. :love:

Sgathak
2005-02-18, 07:44
Dryad? or as they spell if...

drYad

Fox
2005-02-18, 22:07
Those Dryads are nifty... but only one-person

peter_pan
2005-02-19, 09:24
Check this out, http://www.trease.biz/. It is actually a hanging tent...a little heavy.....but hey.. you can carry it so your wife won't be tired. :)

Sgathak
2005-02-19, 09:47
we have shaved off the tent with all its amenities and done some other lightening to bring in a weight of 4 pounds! This is quite competitive with the various "jungle hammocks" that are on the market.....So, if you are dedicated to ultralight shelter, try the Hiker'sRest

:thumpdown :bootyshak :thumpdown

:biggrin:

Fox
2005-02-20, 16:09
Ok, so I emailed Hennessy Hammocks about the problem at hand, and Ann wrote me back- here's her response:

Hi - we do have a model a lot of people buy to use as a two-person hammock -
the Safari Deluxe. It is roomier and supports up to 350 lbs. What I tell
people is to try it out in the first ten days or so after they buy it and
then to return it if they don't like it. They never do so it must work for
those with coziness in mind. You can find more info about it on our website
at http://www.hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.htm.

Thanks

Ann

It's 4.5 lbs, and forest green.

That all said, I'll probably make my husband carry it because though it's at least a pound lighter than our current tent (an eddie bauer special) it's no feather-weight.