PDA

View Full Version : Drip Feed Alcohol Fuel Bag - NOT!

Major Slacker
2005-02-18, 12:21
The idea was to reduce stove and fuel bottle weights by using an I.V. bag with a drip valve as an external fuel tank attached to a tiny burner, but…

* the pharmacy didn't sell I.V. bags,
* the closest thing they had was something called an "enteral nutrition bag,"
* it didn't have a drip valve,
* or a needle,
* the only small diameter metal tubing I had was a ball-point pen ink thingy,
* it was real hard getting the ink out of it,
* denatured alcohol turned out to be a good ink solvent,
* it would have been a shame to waste all that alcohol,
* I couldn't get a seal where the tubing joined the burner,
* I didn't want to wait for epoxy to set before testing the thing,

…so now I have a bag of purple alcohol that fuels a miniature flame thrower.

Cool!

But that wasn't the idea. Any suggestions?

Hog On Ice
2005-02-18, 12:35
well the immediate idea I thought of was to just use the torch as the stove by directing the flame at the bottom of the pot - might need to bent the metal tube (aka ink thingy) which will of course cause it to crimp and fuel flow will be zero but ...

dixicritter
2005-02-18, 12:36
Sorry no suggestions from me, but a thank you for a really good laugh.

"bag of purple alcohol that fuels a miniature flame thrower" That's great! LOL

Major Slacker
2005-02-18, 14:28
well the immediate idea I thought of was to just use the torch as the stove by directing the flame at the bottom of the pot - might need to bent the metal tube (aka ink thingy) which will of course cause it to crimp and fuel flow will be zero but ...
…the photo sort of tells it all:

Major Slacker
2005-02-18, 14:36
I made a hole in the sidewall of one of my stoves and embedded the nozzle in the fiberglass fill, but the alcohol feeds too fast to just let it flow. Basically, it is now just a way to fill the stove and refill it as needed. Big deal.

Major Slacker
2005-02-18, 15:50
Sorry no suggestions from me, but a thank you for a really good laugh.

"bag of purple alcohol that fuels a miniature flame thrower" That's great! LOL
I've been LOL myself.

Did I mention my hands look like an Iraqi's who voted several times?

Lanthar
2005-02-18, 15:53
animal reppelant?

Major Slacker
2005-02-18, 19:49
animal reppelant?
Yeeaaah,…

It gives a whole new meaning to, "Ready, aim, fire!"

jimtanker
2005-02-18, 21:42
I need one of those flamethrowers for my squirel. How much they cost?

Major Slacker
2005-02-19, 07:50
I need one of those flamethrowers for my squirel. How much they cost?
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your interest in the M-FT-05 Miniature Flamethrower. At this time we are backlogged with contracts for G.I. Joe, Barbie and a prairie dog colony in Oklahoma.

Sincerely,

Major Slacker, President
Slack Enterprises, Ltd.

Sgathak
2005-02-19, 09:59
Hmmmm.... what you need to do is come up with a way to direct line feed the fuel from a Lil'Nipper....

As for prarie dogs... I was watching Ripleys Beleive it or Not, and theres a guy who does "Humane Prarie Dog Removal" with a giant truck mounted vacuum. You stick the vacuum hose down the dog hole, and the vacuum builds 300fps suction. It then flings the dogs into a big padded holding tank.

Craziest thing I ever saw.

http://www.interstice.com/~max/humor/0066.html

sorry.. off topic, but too funny to not mention

Major Slacker
2005-02-19, 16:11
Hmmmm.... what you need to do is come up with a way to direct line feed the fuel from a Lil'Nipper...
Right. I have its bigger brother and was thinking about how to control the flow when the I.V. bag occurred to me. All I really need is tubing with a drip valve and maybe a needle. The ink thingy is working pretty well, but I found only one pen in the house that had the metal thingy instead of plastic. Anyway, it wouldn't be hard to modify a Platy cap to accept the tubing.

I'm actually starting to like the Easy-Feed bag. I haven't weighed it, but it seems to weigh less than the Platy, it holds more than a liter and has a wide mouth fill cap (no funnel needed). Even if the fuel feed thing doesn't work out I might just use it instead of a fuel bottle.

The prairie dog story is great, thanks.

jimtanker
2005-03-22, 16:38
Had to renew this thread when I saw this.

DON'T TRY THIS WHATEVER YOU DO!!!

fire (http://www.big-boys.com/articles/supersoak.html)

jimtanker
2005-03-22, 23:46
bump to the top

GregH
2005-03-23, 15:40
Had to renew this thread when I saw this.

DON'T TRY THIS WHATEVER YOU DO!!!

fire (http://www.big-boys.com/articles/supersoak.html)

That really is cool. And very tempting...

SGT Rock
2005-03-23, 16:32
I can't wait for the flame to go up the fuel system and blow the tank :D

jimtanker
2005-03-23, 19:35
YES, very tempting indeed. But remember chillins, I said DONT do this. Otherwise it would make this site look bad.

GregH
2005-03-23, 22:38
If a squirrel with a machine gun tells me not to try it, I won't.

Rage in a Cage
2005-03-23, 23:19
Funny movie. I was that stupid at one time myself. :damnmate: Heck I am still stupid but pain has taught me the rewards are not always worth the risks. :bawling: I was going to tell about a couple of my attempts at making a flamethrower, some on purpose and some not. But I remembered that the reason I tried them was always because someone else made claims that they had tried it and it worked. So I have decided that I won't post any flamethrower stories but will simply echo Jimtankers warnings. Do not try this.

atraildreamer
2006-09-09, 02:40
Hmmmm.... what you need to do is come up with a way to direct line feed the fuel from a Lil'Nipper....

As for prarie dogs... I was watching Ripleys Beleive it or Not, and theres a guy who does "Humane Prarie Dog Removal" with a giant truck mounted vacuum. You stick the vacuum hose down the dog hole, and the vacuum builds 300fps suction. It then flings the dogs into a big padded holding tank.

Craziest thing I ever saw.

http://www.interstice.com/~max/humor/0066.html

sorry.. off topic, but too funny to not mention

The Wallace & Grommit movie "Curse of the Were Rabbit" had a machine that sucked up the rabbits that were destroying vegetable gardens. :biggrin: Funny movie, but who stole the idea from who? :questionm

Major Slacker
2006-09-10, 11:25
The Wallace & Gromit movie "Curse of the Were Rabbit" had a machine that sucked up the rabbits that were destroying vegetable gardens. :biggrin: Funny movie, but who stole the idea from who? :questionm
I'm betting Nick Park "stole" the idea from the prairie dog vacuum guy.

incognito
2006-09-15, 12:36
Try using one of those cheapo butane pencil torches(3.00) to regulate the flow of fuel.

Take it apart, adapt, have fun.