PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes care in the woods

Fox
2005-02-22, 23:31
Does anyone have any useful insights into diabetes care in the woods? I suppose carrying all those vials, syringes and testing gizmos is a necessary burden, but as far as diet and foot care, is there much more we should know? My husband's been a type 1 diabetic since 13.

blackdog
2005-02-23, 01:52
My advice is to bring "fast sugar" on the hike. Something that kicks his sugar levels back up quickly, if needed. One of those Frío insulin cooler wallets would be a good idea too in hot weather.

Welcome to the type 3 club, btw.

KLeth
2005-02-23, 01:57
Well, I don't have diabetes myself but I've walked quite a lot with a buddy who has a "mild" type diabetes 1.

The first times we walked as a buddyteam we were very careful and he did the bloodsugar test every ½ hour while walking. Since we drank 150-250ml of water every 15minutes this was easy :captain:
Later he could do the bloodsugar regulation, by eating more or less, based on his gut-feeling, but did a test once in a while to get references.

When we walked he only needed half dose of the longworking insuline (morning and night), because the muscles breaks down the sugar in the blood when active. He didn't need the fast insuline that he elsewise had to take after a meal. - Ask your family physician before messing around with the insuline !!!
This also meant that the greatest threat to his wellbeing, were that he would collapse from low bloodsugar. Therefore I always carried a pack of dextrose to give to him if he should collapse or go into the pre-shock mode, where the diabetic seems and acts drunk. He also had to eat constantly : Veggies, brown bread, cheese and other consumables low in sugar and simple carbs.

My recommendation is : Be careful and start out slowly, so he learns how his body reacts under the given conditions. Do the tests frequently and note how he feels before the result comes out so he might learn (since diabetes isn't new to him, he probably already knows) what his body needs when in the woods. - Because it would be a shame not to go out there :smile:

Also if not consuming enough water and the drinking a lot, can cause a problem, since the blood first will get more concentrated when dehydrated and then watered down much faster, resulting in a drop in bloodsugar. Drink plenty (water)!

Since we walked nonstop at least 40km a day in boots and pack and were in very good condition, this can be hard to transfer directly to other persons not operatring under the same conditions. Be careful and learn how to handle it by yourself :smile: