PDA

View Full Version : New Hennesey Hammock Owner

CraigR
2005-02-23, 15:36
Hello,

Thanks to this site and the users of this forum I went out and bought an Ultralite Asym. I shuddered to think of hauling around my old heavy pack on hikes and am slowly converting over to Ultralite hiking. I received my hammock a couple days ago and it sure beats the 6-7lb tent I was lugging before. Last night I tried it out in my backyard and it was simply the best night sleep I ever had outdoors! Temps were in the 40's and I was wearing synthetic underwear, wool socks, wool shirt, and a hat. I was using an North Face bag rated to about 20 degrees and a length of generic blue foam I bought at REI for a few bucks that I put under me.

A few comments:

1) Did I mention how comfortable it was? No rocks poking my back. No weird slants that you gradually slide down at night while on the ground. No sore back, neck or other issues with sleeping on the ground.

2) Setup was easy once I studied the lashing video at the HH site. It took me a couple times to tie it and get the tension correct, but after that it held tightly and didn't sag.

3) My feet got cold. I unzipped the sleeping bag to use it as a quilt but left a foot or so zipped to use as a foot box. Since the foam pad didn't cover down to my feet they got cold. I had to pull my feet onto the pad and then everything was fine. Everything else though was fine and I was plenty warm the whole night and only woke up once or twice to correct the foot situation.

So far I'd have to give this setup a great rating. My wife and I will be doing some hiking and I was really looking for a way to lighten our loads to make it more enjoyable. With the HH and a good light backpack I'm most of the way there. On top of all this, it's an incredibly flexible solution that can be setup in places I'd never dream of setting up a tent. I'm very happy.

peter_pan
2005-02-23, 16:07
Welcome to the hanging crowd.

Aussie Nutter
2005-02-26, 03:50
I bought the only hennessy hammock available in Adelaide yesterday because not a single person has anything bad to say about them.
However i bought an expedition a-sym which i believe was the older model with the smaller tarp i.e not 30% bigger. I set it up in the backyard and i must say its a real peice of enginering, quite impressed. I do believe i could do with a larger tarp as i plan to take it on the overland in april and it rains every day and night. I looked at the prices of silnylon tarps and since they are not available in Australia they would cost me more than the hammock did after postage. I have found a silnylon supplier in the USA that will supply me with the fabric i need at a good price.
My question is if i make a 10' x 8' tarp and pitch it accross the diagonal does the 8' and 10' sides line up with the A-sym shape nicely i.e does the guide lines still line up nice with the ones for the hammock like the origional tarp does and is going to a 10' x 10' tarp just nutz.
Any information about 10' x 10' or 8' x 10' tarp setups would be much appreciated.
thanks

SGT Rock
2005-02-26, 09:26
I don't know, that is a good question I would like to hear the answer on.

peter_pan
2005-02-26, 10:04
I used an 8x10 for years ...use it as a symetrical rectangle on the long axis and tie the HH corner to the 4th tie point on each side....or, turn it on a diagonal and the tarp corners align with the HH corners pretty good....had a 10x10 before that and it was overkill.

Now I use an 8x8 with the ridge line sewn on the diagonal....less weight (10.2 oz), great coverage, pulls taut like a "cat cut" with one peg on each side, retains all the traditional tarp flexibility as a perfect square.

Aussie Nutter
2005-02-26, 12:19
Thanks peter. Sounds like u know ya stuff. Hex fly is like massive massive then. Shame i cant find a single picture of one so i can make a decision on making a larger tarp or using a hex. Would like it to fit in my skins though.

CraigR
2005-02-27, 04:03
So I've been playing with the hammock some more and I have a similar question on the tarp. I think the tarp supplied is a little small for me. Is the 8x10 hex fly worth the upgrade? Why is the hex fly better than a plain old 8x10 rectangular fly? Also I haven't used the hammock in the rain yet, but it seems like the fly it comes with is cutting it awfully close to the ends and I'm worried about rain blowing in. Am I worried too much about this? I'd feel better with a little more overhang.

CraigR
2005-02-27, 04:05
Some other questions:

1) Has anyone modified the hammock to make the netting detachable by using some velcro similar to the Speer hammock? Does this wreck the structural integrity?

2) Has anyone attached any webbing/netting to the bottom of the hammock to hold your pack off the ground under the fly? Where do people store their equipment to keep it out of the elements? I carry lots of camera gear that I don't want to risk getting soaked sitting out by itself.

peter_pan
2005-02-27, 12:51
Aussie Nutter,

Skins too small? Pythons swallow all.... :)

peter_pan
2005-02-27, 13:01
Craig R, etal,

Hex , square and diamond generally pull down tighter into a "cat like" ridge because the stake points are inboard of the ends of the tarp ridge line, where the rectange corners are equal and often out board ( when ridges bunch a little) of the ridge line ends. So, no cat draw and thus the cover is more of a flapper ( less than ideal/good).

On the other hand rectangles equal to the max length and width of the above cuts will give more total coverage. They are also proprtionately heavier.

These are real issues and not just style points....your choice pilgrim. :biggrin:

CraigR
2005-02-27, 18:02
Thanks for the input. I'll play around with the included canopy a lot more and see how it goes. Do you have any thoughts on lashing my bag onto the bottom of the hammock to keep it off the ground yet fully under the canopy protection?

GregH
2005-03-04, 21:30
So I've been playing with the hammock some more and I have a similar question on the tarp. I think the tarp supplied is a little small for me. Is the 8x10 hex fly worth the upgrade? Why is the hex fly better than a plain old 8x10 rectangular fly? Also I haven't used the hammock in the rain yet, but it seems like the fly it comes with is cutting it awfully close to the ends and I'm worried about rain blowing in. Am I worried too much about this? I'd feel better with a little more overhang.

I've spent several weeks canoeing in the Quetico Provincial Park in Ontario and have endured some pretty serious thunderstorms. My old Hennessy (prior to the 30% larger fly) took it very well without rain getting in. Make sure you orient your head toward the windward side and batton down the hatches (the fly). You'll stay dry yet with good ventilation. They're very storm-worthy.

peter_pan
2005-03-05, 09:07
Craig,

I have a roll down closure on the top of my pack...Simply fasten the bag over the ridge line at the HH knot ( The little cover over the junction of material and rope)...there is virtually nothing in the pack by night....the end of the tarp covers this area ok....at least as dry as on the ground under the hammock and a lot cleaner....Virtually any fastner on your pack will work for this .....just do not hang it on the bug net as wear can occur there...

Another alternative is to hang it at the tree vic of huggers and rope the put your pack cover on ....assuming yu are a pack cover user.

Have seen some use there garbage bag pack liner double duty...put the pack in it at night...shake it off and use it to line the pack prior to loading the pack in the AM.

Two years ago before switching to under quilts, I used a short wide pad and the pack was turned in side out ( to reduce snag hazards) and placed under the legs...small items like first aid bag and emergence blanket were just relocated to the "new inside" for the night.

On more option that is a nusance, put a mini carabineer in the corner loop of the foot end of the ridgeline....look carefully it is there....then hang pack or any thing else from this biner....be careful getting in and out.

Storing the pack is no problem in a hammock...pick a tech and try until you are happy.

CraigR
2005-03-14, 03:13
Thanks for the advice. I'll try those hanging techniques out.

BTW In other news I just got a clikstand to try with my Trangia stove. It's a very well manufactured product and cut boil times by 30% over my westwind stand setup.