PDA

View Full Version : Biggest problem when hiking

Aussie Nutter
2005-02-26, 05:13
The real problem i find when hiking for more than a few days is lack of beer. If someone could come up with a powdered beer that you could just add water and a little vile of alcohol to i would be a happier man. I am by no means an alcho but i do tend to go a bit bonkers after a long walk and a sudden stop once the campsite is reached and a berverage would go down rather nicely about then. to help me relax.
I was thinking of boiling a few homebrews down to powder and attempting this as a life saving experiment... but its the lack of fizz that would kill a good powderd brew. Any ideas people? All the other answers seem to be on this website. Very impressed with the site btw... but im sure you have hear that b4.
Cheers :beer:

blackdog
2005-02-26, 08:34
Have you ever heard of bierwanderungen?

Linux geeks plan hikes that go from one beer pub to another and then yet another. That way they can carry their laptops instead of beer, do their programming in the late hours and be refreshed at the next destination.

(The idea originated in Germany, hence the name. Wanderung means "long walk" or "hike".)

SGT Rock
2005-02-26, 10:02
A few years ago I heard from someone that used something like this, their opinion was it tasted like warm flat beef bullion.

blackdog
2005-02-26, 11:17
There an experiment they do in swedish schools, in third or fourth grade i think, that involves eating raw potato while sniffing on a piece of raw apple. The result is that the potato tastes apple.

Maybe something similar could be done to fool the brain into "drinking beer"? I know faking the alcohol could be done, but what about the bubbles?

A cultural observation is that the closer people are to the poles, the more concentrated the alcohol gets. The wine and beer of south Europe are contrasted by the vodka and moonshine of the north. Is this a global phenomena?

Aussie Nutter
2005-02-26, 12:33
My brain is easy to fool.... maybe a beer lozenge would do the trick and i wouldnt need alcohol just a few spins around in my new hammock.

Iceman
2005-02-26, 13:57
The real problem i find when hiking for more than a few days is lack of beer. If someone could come up with a powdered beer that you could just add water and a little vile of alcohol to i would be a happier man. I am by no means an alcho but i do tend to go a bit bonkers after a long walk and a sudden stop once the campsite is reached and a berverage would go down rather nicely about then. to help me relax.
I was thinking of boiling a few homebrews down to powder and attempting this as a life saving experiment... but its the lack of fizz that would kill a good powderd brew. Any ideas people? All the other answers seem to be on this website. Very impressed with the site btw... but im sure you have hear that b4.
Cheers :beer:

I have found that packing something highpower like bacardi 151, or Everclear (grain alcohol) (my personal favorite) goes a long way. Bring some crystal light, shake up in your H20 Jug, add some rum or what have you, a little ice from that pile of snow nearby and you have an awesome happy slushy to go. If you carry the Everclear, it also doubles as a nice firestarter, or even spare fuel for your stove. Handy stuff that everclear. I swear by it, and sometimes at it....

Sgathak
2005-02-26, 19:40
Ill second the vote for spirits!

Im a vodka man personally.... I prefer a nice Starka (aged vodka) but its nearly impossible to get in the US, so some Crystalle or Ciroc does just as well. Blavod (literally, a black colored vodka) is cool to mix in with orange tang... its makes a green colored "screwdriver" - I call it a "thru-driver"

SGT Rock
2005-02-27, 18:41
I like a little Kentucky Bourbon.

Iceman
2005-03-01, 01:59
I like a little Kentucky Bourbon.

Hoo ah! I like a lot of Kentucky Bourbon. Did I mention this is also a favorite of mine? Sometimes less is more, but not here.

Turk
2005-03-01, 21:21
Fooling your brain is easy.
Take a good long look at a mid range priced, average weight backcountry
tent. You are looking at around the 5 pound mark and packed volume of around a 2L pop bottle. Now pet your hammock, take 40oz of your favourite liquor (mine happens to be 20yr bushmills) place it in your pack and voila.
You have found the ultimate give-and-take compromise. Your HH saved you countless pounds and ounces in both weight and volume. You are replacing that weight and volume with an equal portion of alcohol. :) Your pack will never know the difference :) For extra sore muscles double your recommended dosage, take swing in the hammock and call me in the morning. If symptoms persist, purchase lighter gear .. take more alcohol.

Doctari
2005-03-03, 00:08
Single malt Scotch for me. 12 year or older.

peter_pan
2005-03-03, 09:58
I vote with Doctari..... single malt scotch....1-2 oz ration per day and included in my pound and a half daily food ration...oh yea...always include some salty chips or gold fish to go with it.....HYOH...hyoh.

MalTheElder
2005-03-06, 14:37
Either Cruzan Rum or Pure Florida Panther Piss. Yes, that's the real name, Dixiecritter—so don't censor me <grin>. If you're ever in the Ocala National Forest, and you get lucky, you might find some. Smooth as silk, warm as you want to be, and in a pinch it'll work in an alcohol stove, natch.

BTW, generic Virgin Islands Rum is quite good, too, without Cruzan's ridiculously high price.

Ook ook!
Mal

atraildreamer
2006-10-01, 06:00
Maybe something similar could be done to fool the brain into "drinking beer"? I know faking the alcohol could be done, but what about the bubbles?

The Star Trek shows had a drink called "Synthahol(???)". It made you feel drunk, but the effects could be eliminated with a thought. No fun in that. No wonder Worf was so crabby. :boring:

www.startreklives.de/crew/images/worf.gif

Stuck with the puny humans and no way to get a good buzz going! :beer:

Now Spock drank this stuff:

http://ratebeer.com/Ratings/Beer/Beer-Ratings.asp?BeerID=3372

No wonder he was so moody! :burnout:

Seeker
2006-10-01, 15:54
I vote with Doctari..... single malt scotch....1-2 oz ration per day and included in my pound and a half daily food ration...oh yea...always include some salty chips or gold fish to go with it.....HYOH...hyoh.

HYOH... as in Haul Your Own Hootch? LOL

(for my foreign friends, hootch is slang for home-distilled spirits. also army slang for a soldiers poncho tent... have no idea why.)

Iceman
2006-10-01, 21:24
HYOH... as in Haul Your Own Hootch? LOL

(for my foreign friends, hootch is slang for home-distilled spirits. also army slang for a soldiers poncho tent... have no idea why.)

Maybe from the fermented smell?....:biggrin:

dropkick
2006-10-02, 07:13
Rye whiskey is my choice, though I've been known to settle for tequila.

Hootch, (Hooch) The name given by U.S. soldiers to a liquor made by a native Alaskan tribe (Tlingit) and sold to them by Russians (1800's - before we bought AK. from the Russians). The name comes from "hoochinoo" - the Tlingit name for the building(s) it was made in.

Hootch as slang for a place where a serviceman lives, comes from the name given to the bamboo houses in Japan/Asia.
Probably from "uchi" which is the true name of the houses.

knowledge makes my brain hurt :hmmmm2:

lucky luke
2006-10-02, 14:30
high all,

since everybody is confessing and no one is addicted to alcohol, i might as well confess.

i gave up drinking hardtime about 15 years ago. now i carry a little pipe and a little gras and enjoy my evenings away from loud yelling drunks.

what i hated the most when out hiking were those few that could not handle their drugs. i had 3 encounters on the AT at shelters close to roads with drunk guys and one higher up in the whites. all of them were proud to be drunk and desperately tried to riun my day. didn´t work, i just kept going, even after a 25miler with wintergear.

i found it sad though. who wants to go out and spoil it all? however i hold nothing against alcohol on the trail in general. let everybody do his thing as long as he botheres noone.

cheers and high,
lucky luke

Pappyhighlife
2006-10-02, 14:57
Me I'll stick with my Jack Walker (Gold) a good Opus X and a clear night sky.
btw some of you may know the grog has Johnny Walker, but when you know him like I do you can call him Jack.

Mutinousdoug
2006-10-02, 17:39
I was going to post one like Dropkick's but I couldn't find the origin of the word Hooch.

Kudos Dropkick.

bird dog
2006-10-02, 23:09
Drop Kick - With knowledge like that, you should go on Jeopardy!

Pappy - Havent heard from you in awhile (Could be because Ive been gone as of late too)...Any rate, good to see you back. How's Jack been?

BD

Iceman
2006-10-03, 00:41
One of my "fav's" is to solo spring hike into snow country, and whip up some crystal light and everclear slushies. Whoa momma'! Then I run off and go shed antler hunting at dusk with my headlamp on. Haven't gotten lost yet!

KLeth
2006-10-03, 01:32
Have not taught the spouse to drink whisky yet, so when in the wilderness we normally carry either ½L Stroh Ruhm (80% vol. rum) or Drambuie.
Both are excelent in cocoa, tea or coffee. On daytrips we do not carry any alcohol since digesting alcohol burns around twice the amount of water.

When I did the Nijmegen Vierdaagse I got used to start the marching days with dram of bitter : Gammel Dansk or Fernet Branca.
- Just to kickstart the old heart . . . :biggrin:

Pappyhighlife
2006-10-03, 13:10
Hey there BD, yep Jack is good in fact he spoke so much last night I got a headache this morning.
Yeah business been keeping me on the short trails, but I been keeping up with all you guys.
Only thing keeps me sane theses days....
Oh hell gotta go Jacks ringing in on the other line. Hope he don't talk to long..
Pappy is 10-7

bird dog
2006-10-04, 02:33
Pappy, dont stay out of service too long. Tell Jack we all said hi. Happy Trails, BD. :beer: