PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Injuries

Turk
2005-03-06, 20:18
Okay, ... to all of you out there that are ticking off the days waiting for the snowmelt, checking your gear, playing with your gear, modding your gear, dreaming of this years planned hiking trips .. this one's for you.

I badly wanted to set up my hammock yesterday evening to explore a very neat modification I had in mind. Well not wanting to install lag bolts into my 100 yr old oak trim of my living room, I decided to pitch the hammock on the door frame. I hung my full body weight off each door I intended to sling the hammock from. I was very confident in them to support my weight with ease.

Setting the hammock up in the living room sparked immediate excitement from my 2yr old daughter who found the bottom entry and wanted to get in.

I gingerly sat in the hammock to feel the tension and make absolutely sure my door-slung treehuggers were absolutely up to the task. Just as I had my feet up, and was reaching to bring my daughter into the hammock with me, the entire door frame ripped itself loose and came crashing down on top of me.

Needless to say it was bad. It could have been alot worse though. The door was an expensive antique french door with many panes of bevelled glass. The framing was a hundred pounds of hand planed oak and rough cut 2x4's original to the house. Thankfully the entire thing came down directly on my head, which allowed my daughter crawl out from under me. I am very thankful she was not injured.

So ... all in all, a gaping head wound, concusion and bloodstains on the hardwood floors, ... I have a bit of carpentry to do ;)

Pondering the whole episode today I have to believe that there have been other stories of hammock injuries either through chance, or stupidity like mine.
Anybody have a good one? Would love to hear it.

GregH
2005-03-06, 20:57
Okay, but yours is better than mine.

Out in the Quetico 3 years ago I hurriedly pitched my Hennessy ahead of an approaching thunderstorm. One of my fellow campers yelled out that he didn't think I had a good knot on one side. We've been going into the Quetico for 10 years and I know how to tie a knot, even when I'm in a hurry. I yelled over the wind something to that effect and jumped into my hammock.
So far so good.
The storm hits hard and I'm snug as a bug, just squirming a bit to get settled in. I feel a little slip and boom -- I'm laying on the ground with feet up in the air. Above my friend's laughter I heard him say "I told you that knot didn't look good!"

Hog On Ice
2005-03-07, 09:34
well in my case the only thing injured was my pride but I once set up the hammock tied to a forked tree near a campsite - unfortunately the tree had been used to break firewood and the inside of the fork was dead as a result - I climbed in for my usual check out and the tree broke landing me on my butt. Of course the rest of the crew just had to take a picture of me on the ground with my feet sticking out of the hammock AND post it to the web.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/55535539/55537266BMMvgK :damnmate:

SGT Rock
2005-03-07, 09:47
Something similar happened to me when I thought I was smart. I made a single point securing tree hugger which broke through after just one set up (I think it would have worked if I would have used a carabineer). I bruised my tail and was sore for a week.

Turk
2005-03-10, 20:05
Okay, this is just stupid. Don't ever try this. Do you know how difficult it is to get out of a hammock that is 6ft off the ground! It sounds simple enough. It even reasons out well in your head. But try doing it! Setting up my hammock from the garage rafters, I was attempting to work out some prototypes for my "high hammock" pitch. 6ft was plenty high enough for testing purposes, and I couldnt have gone much higher if I wanted to.
The moral of the story is this ...

When exiting a hammock where you cannot touch ground, but plan to jump, FEET TOGETHER! One movement. Should one foot snag on your exit ... you become a contortionist on the fly, and end with painful results to your rear end. Learned this one the hard way!

jimtanker
2005-03-10, 21:13
... I slip to my right and I slip to my left, go on down and do a PLF....

Airborne!!!

GregH
2005-03-10, 21:31
... I slip to my right and I slip to my left, go on down and do a PLF....

Airborne!!!

Let's do the Time Warp again!

SGT Rock
2005-03-10, 22:38
Sounds painfull PLF or not.

Rage in a Cage
2005-03-16, 02:25
The only injuries I have suffered have been minor scrapes due to tripping over the fly guy lines in the dark. Come to think of it, I trip over them in the light also.

Goalkeeper31
2005-03-16, 11:26
I was trying to jump into my HH and onto the ThermaRest while holding the sleeping bag at about my mid-thigh level. I was facing the ThermaRest, so I had to execute a 1/2 spin during the jump so I'd land on my back.

Coiled and sprung, began the spin and caught my somehow bare side on the velcro of the entry slit. I had Velcro rash (similar to motorcycle accident road rash) from the bottom two ribs to just about where the waistband hit. More nasty looking than anything.

Thanks goodness for JRB under and over quilts. I hated ThermaSurfing.

therob
2005-03-16, 19:19
I ordered a hennessey ultralight backpacker a-sym with the new 10x12 silnylon tarp and a pair of those snakeskins. The helpful lady on the phone told me it takes 6 days to process the order, then it would ship. Apparently the people at the credit card place didn't hear this and the bill arrived before I could show off my new toy. Needless to say my back has gotten awful sore sleeping on the couch.

GregH
2005-03-16, 22:14
...Needless to say my back has gotten awful sore sleeping on the couch.

It will all be worth it once the gear arrives.