PDA

View Full Version : Hennessy Snake Skins - a good investment?

GregH
2005-03-06, 20:50
I've been using my old Hennessy for 5 years and just acquired a new Explorer Ultralight Asym with my REI dividend. Woohoo!
Do any of y'all have experience with the Snake Skins? Are they as easy and clean as they appear? Do you recommend I get a pair?
Thanks,
Greg

SGT Rock
2005-03-06, 21:18
They are VERY worth it.

GregH
2005-03-06, 21:42
They are VERY worth it.

Thanks for the declarative response. Also, thanks for putting together this website. It's great.

Mutinousdoug
2005-03-07, 01:20
GregH,
I agree with Rock, but note that for the uninitiated; installing your HH into the skins is not immediatly intuitive. You have to roll the middle tie-outs toward each end in turn to prevent an unsightly lump in the middle.
It's not difficult at all, just hard to describe.

GregH
2005-03-07, 10:09
I ordered them last night from Hennessy's website. As soon as they arrive I'll set up my new Hammock, replace the guylines with Kelty Triptease, and install and practice with the 'skins. I'll likely begin posting for technique help around that time!

SGT Rock
2005-03-07, 10:21
My recommendations:

1. I put the tarp suspension outside the skins and pack the tarp separately. The reasons - the tarp can be wet from dew, and I don't want it in my skins getting the hammock body wet. I can set up the tarp on the line without opening the hammock when it rains, so that I have everything up before exposing the hammock in wet conditions, this is especially cool if you want to cook and stuff before getting into the hammock since it essentially turns it into a tarp for you. And, it makes tear down in the rain easier since you can cover the hammock and pack your backpack under the tarp, then you can take the tarp down without getting the hammock wet as you stuff it last thing in the backpack.

2. When you use a zip-tie to fix the ends of the skins, cut one longer so you can see and/or feel which end is which. My foot end has a 1/2" tail still attached to the zip-tie so I can determine which end is which without opening the snakeskins until I am ready.

3. I replaced my guy lines recently with trip-tese. It was a great idea, I'm now thinking of getting some of that reflective shock cord to replace the side ties on the hammock.

GregH
2005-03-07, 15:29
That is a great idea to pack the tarp separately from the hammock. That makes a lot of sense for put-up and take down in weather. (I'm embarrassed it never occurred to me.)

beachlover
2005-03-08, 02:25
That is a great idea to pack the tarp separately from the hammock. That makes a lot of sense for put-up and take down in weather. (I'm embarrassed it never occurred to me.)
I can see it makes a lot of sense to put up and pack the tarp separately, but the tarp attaches to the suspension system of the hammock. Do you also rope up the tarp separately?

CanoeBlue
2005-03-08, 08:17
For the same reasons that Sarge gives I too keep the fly and hammock - ie, living and occasionally cooking below the fly when the hammock is not set up. The fly and the hammock are separate, each with it's own suspension cords and tree-huggers - but I also pack the fly in a separate set of snake-skins for easy set-up and take-down. First thing up - last thing down. The fly is silnylon and similar to the McCat - but as I made my own there are several changes (improvements ??)

bearbag hanger
2005-03-08, 10:49
My recommendations:

3. I replaced my guy lines recently with trip-tese. It was a great idea, I'm now thinking of getting some of that reflective shock cord to replace the side ties on the hammock.

I replace my canopy guy lines with trip tease a couple years ago. When you find a source for reflective shock cord, can you let us know? Been looking for some for a long time. Can only find black. Thanks,

SGT Rock
2005-03-08, 12:00
I can see it makes a lot of sense to put up and pack the tarp separately, but the tarp attaches to the suspension system of the hammock. Do you also rope up the tarp separately?
The tarp connects to the main line using two hooks that attach using a prussik knot on some cord. You can slip the snakeskins over this cord and hook and put them between that and the hammock.

beachlover
2005-03-08, 15:31
The tarp connects to the main line using two hooks that attach using a prussik knot on some cord. You can slip the snakeskins over this cord and hook and put them between that and the hammock.
Thanks for that.
I now have something to do tomorrow!
I am sure that method makes more sense than skinning them together, not to mention the struggle of getting the larger optional tarp and the hammock into one set of snakeskins!

Bjorkin
2005-03-08, 17:43
My Hennessy Snakeskins will NOT fit over my fly hooks on the main lines. The small end of the skins is barely bigger than the main line so I don't know how it's expected to pull over anything bigger.

You will either have to undo the fly hooks, slide the skins on, and then reattach the hooks behind the skins, or once the hammock is set up slide the skins back toward the tree to reveal the hooks underneath the skin.

I'm hoping the JRB python skins are bigger at the small end and will allow it to slide over the hooks. When I get around to using their "Nest" I'll need a set of pythons anyway.

GregH
2005-03-13, 18:26
Received my Snakeskins and installed them today. I can hardly believe I've been living without them for all of these years!
I put them on under the fly, ala Rock's suggestion for keeping the hammock itself protected from dew/moisture on the fly. I even figured out how to ease off the fly attachments (and their Prussik knots) from the main line and get them back on. They had to be removed because the plastic fly attachments are too large to fit through the small end of the Snakeskins.
It took about 60 seconds to pull on the skins and another 60 seconds to fold the fly. And neither ever touched the ground. What a great system.
Thanks for the help everyone.

P.S. Bjorkin: You can simply loosen the fly attachment knots (Prussik knots - thanks, Rock) and slide them off of the main line. I slid a safety pin through the loops to hold their place. Next, put on the Snakeskin. Then, loop by loop, put the knot back onto the main line. Tighten it up and slide it back down. Voila!

Aussie Nutter
2005-03-14, 02:31
I have a hex fly and im looking at using 2 sets of snake skins and either putting the fly in a separate set of snake skins and leaving it hanging above. Or wrapping the fly over the hammock thats already in a set of skins and putting larger skins over the top such as the pythons. Any arguments with this working? I realize that if the fly were in separate skins above the hammock ones, when the skins are taken off they will need to bunch up considerably at the ends where the hooks are.
This would solve any moisture problems and also avoid the folding up in the mud that i hate so much.

CanoeBlue
2005-03-14, 09:49
AN

For the past couple of years that has been my set-up (2 sets of snake skins - one for the hammock and one for the fly and hang them separately) and i like it very much. It eliminates the issue of sag of the fly when in the hammock - but it also means that I can use the fly separately from the hammock - like lunch stops in the rain or wind .... I use a Hex Fly that I made of SilNylon that is essentially the same size as the Hennessey hex, but much lighter and with more tie-outs so that I can brace it against wind (a larger issue on Canadian waterways than on the AT) better and have more flexibility with set-up.