PDA

View Full Version : MacCat Tarps

Bjorkin
2005-03-06, 20:50
Great site SGT! I've been reading your site for over a year but just now noticed the forum. Duh!

I have a HH Explorer UL and love it of course. However, like a lot of HH users, I'm looking for a larger fly. I love the MacCat tarps after reading about them, but I have 3 questions.

1. How much does the original fly on the Explorer UL weigh?
- I want to know the weight difference in going to a MacCat 12.5 or 15.5 oz. tarp.

2. Why is the MacCat only available in silver instead of a nice eco-friendly color???
- I love my stealthy coyote brown HH color but the MacCat silver looks like Buck Rogers goes camping.

This last one is prompted by the 2nd and is probably one of Murphy's Laws.

3. Why is every great piece of gear always one feature short of being perfect? :)

Thanks for any info you can provide.

SGT Rock
2005-03-06, 21:21
Great site SGT! I've been reading your site for over a year but just now noticed the forum. Duh!

I have a HH Explorer UL and love it of course. However, like a lot of HH users, I'm looking for a larger fly. I love the MacCat tarps after reading about them, but I have 3 questions.

- I want to know the weight difference in going to a MacCat 12.5 or 15.5 oz. tarp.
I can't recall and mine is loaned out or I would just weigh it for you.

2. Why is the MacCat only available in silver instead of a nice eco-friendly color???
- I love my stealthy coyote brown HH color but the MacCat silver looks like Buck Rogers goes camping.
You would have to ask Brian that. Probably hard for him to get other colors in stock for now.

This last one is prompted by the 2nd and is probably one of Murphy's Laws.

3. Why is every great piece of gear always one feature short of being perfect? :)
That is why a lot of us end up just making our own so we can get exactly what we want. Of course by the time we go through all the prototypes it might be easier to buy one, but that is half the fun :D

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Your Welcome!

GregH
2005-03-06, 21:47

It weighs 11.3 ounces, including the guylines.
(I just bought a new Explorer UL today and it was sitting right next to me.)

Bjorkin
2005-03-06, 22:16
Sweet. Thanks for weighing it! I have mine of course but no scale. I'll have to fix that soon.

brian
2005-03-07, 01:15

Thank you for the kind questions! I do offer the MacCat tarps in other colors, including brown, light green, dark blue, white, and hopefully soon dark green. Almost any other color I can make for a slight extra fee. However, I am on the path of possibly discovering the root of a problem with all of the dark green silnylon not working for my tarps, something to do with a mix of silicone\urethane in the coating...or something else causing the sealant on my tarps not to stick! More on that as I find out.

Brian MacMillin
OutdoorEquipmentSupplier(.com)

brian
2005-03-07, 01:18
Also, I have been going nuts the past two weeks, with our school musical, AP US History getting tough, and an onslaught of orders (March is upon us, if you ask me) has dwindled my time for working on getting the things I need, aka more silnylon colors including brown, a thing of the past. But I am looking to get everything back up to date and continue to grow!

Brian

Bjorkin
2005-03-07, 02:20
Thank you for the kind questions! I do offer the MacCat tarps in other colors, including brown, light green, dark blue, white, and hopefully soon dark green. Almost any other color I can make for a slight extra fee. However, I am on the path of possibly discovering the root of a problem with all of the dark green silnylon not working for my tarps, something to do with a mix of silicone\urethane in the coating...or something else causing the sealant on my tarps not to stick! More on that as I find out.

Brian MacMillin

Thanks for the great answer Brian. Sorry if I didn't look hard enough on your site but I didn't see any colors listed. Well, that's all I needed to know. Sold! I'll be ordering brown soon so I hope I don't add to your nightmare too much!

brian
2005-03-07, 10:34
Great to hear! I actually just got an order for 2 of the same tarps that you will be ordering (MacCat Deluxe's in brown), so I will make sure that I have enough material ordered. I dont have the volume in brown to the the need for me to order 100+ yds of brown (Like I do for silver and white, 250+yds at a time:O). Just send me an email and we can work out the details.

Brian
oes @ hvc . rr . com

Bjorkin
2005-03-07, 13:22
Email with order sent!

Bjorkin
2005-03-07, 19:59
I've been trying to figure out why the MacCat shape looked so familiar to me and now I know why. My father has been in the leather/textile trade for 30 years and he was always bringing home cool skins of various animals and his office/warehouse had many hides in it. The MacCat shape is very much like the shape of a cowhide. It has the head and tail area with 4 leg sections and each of these areas are connected by a catenary shape.

I don't know what this means other than I've always noticed when we try to over-engineer anything, it seems there is always a better, simpilar model in nature. Maybe the cows and Brian figured something out about proper fit that is taking the rest of the tarp makers a little longer to understand. Just ask Orville and Wilbur. :)