PDA

View Full Version : Hiking and Camping north of Dallas?

GregH
2005-03-06, 21:34
I would like to do some hiking/camping within a couple of hours driving distance of Dallas. Are there some good wilderness camping areas relatively close?

SGT Rock
2005-03-06, 21:40
Not that I have ever done, my last Texas trip was down near Nacidotios (sp?).

txulrich
2005-03-07, 10:16
I would like to do some hiking/camping within a couple of hours driving distance of Dallas. Are there some good wilderness camping areas relatively close?

At Fort smith, Arkansas you can pick up the Ozark Highlands Trail. The bad thing is it's about a 6 hour drive. I know there are some trails around Little Rock as well. I don't know about OK though. There might be some there as well. If you find some, let me know too!!

Mountain Dew
2005-03-17, 01:47
You should try Dinosaur State Park in Grandbury. They have an 18 mile loop trail that passes a creek with dinosaur tracks and I believe the park has a museum.

OR...try Cedar Hill State park.

ORR... try hiking the Lone Star Trail. This trail is 120+ miles long and is near Houston.

fly.fast
2005-03-17, 08:13
There are a few more options north of the Red River. Near Talahina, OK, you can take the Ouachita Hiking Trail. It heads east into AR for about 120 miles. It is plenty rugged. The terrain is rocky, mountainous, and heavily forested.

Near Lawton, OK is the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge. It offers a number of short but interesting trails in a completely different kind of terrain. These trails highlight rocky mountains of the arid southwest.

lowcoff
2005-03-20, 00:26
On the south side of Lake Texoma there is a nice easy trail. The Cross Timbers Trail. Link for info to Cross Timbers Trail (http://home.earthlink.net/~drestinblack/cross_timbers.htm)

GregH
2005-03-22, 23:42
Thanks for the advice.
I'm planning an OT trip for April. I'll look into the others as well.

kamiyama
2005-03-25, 03:13
LBJ Grasslands North of Decatur, 27 miles west of Denton.. I go all the time..

kamiyama

fly.fast
2005-03-25, 22:11
Greg, which trail is that?
Thanks,
Phil

kamiyama
2005-12-31, 05:26
It sure has been great weather in North Texas the past few months..

Any one getting out camping in North Texas these days?

www.artofcombat.com

Give me a shout if you are..

kamiyama

txulrich
2005-12-31, 10:51
It sure has been great weather in North Texas the past few months..

Any one getting out camping in North Texas these days?

www.artofcombat.com

Give me a shout if you are..

kamiyama

Just a couple of Scout trips. One to Fairfield State Park and a weekend North of Decatur on some private land. The trip to Fairfield was an intro to backpacking for our younger scouts. About 2 miles back to the primative campsite. Not real primative with his/hers flush toilets and running water. :biggrin:

eeboaz
2006-01-09, 02:34
While I do not know of any hikes north of the Dallas area, there is a good multiday hike a few hours south in Georgetown, TX at Lake Georgetown (which is run by the Army Corp of Engineers).

The Goodwater Trail consists of two sections - one reserved for hiking and backpacking, and one multi-use (hiking and biking) trail. The hike-only trail consists of an 11 mile hike from the trailhead at Cedar Breaks Park and goes to Tejas Camp, passing through several primitive camping areas along the way. There is potable water available at Tejas Camp. There is treatable/filterable water at the primitive caming areas from the lake and from one natural spring (Crockett Gardens).

The mountain biking trail (which I have not had the time to hike) wraps around the northern shore of the lake and starts at Tejas Camp. According to the northern trail's maintainers, the northern trail now reaches the main road that connects to all of the parks (day-use areas) of the lake, so if you're willing to walk next to the road for the last 3 - 4 miles you can completely circumnavigate the lake.

The new, completed trail is about 28 miles - so, this is a good weekend hike. Note: there is no fee to hike the trail as long as you tell the gate attendents that you are hiking the Goodwater Trail. If you want to camp at Tejas Camp, there is a fee. Hammock camping is a definite possibility in certain areas.

Lastly, you'd want to make sure you had enough water if you were to hike this in the summer as the temperatures commonly reach over 100 degrees Fahrenheit and the humidity is a bit higher than the Dallas area.

Here's a URL to a local (Central Texas) website discussion (http://www.texashiking.com/Hiking/Hikedetail.asp?HikeID=25) of the hike and it has a topographical map of the area and photos of the hike. And here (http://swf67.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/georgetown/) you can find the ACoE's website for the Lake.

johnny quest
2006-01-15, 19:40
youve got to go hike the caprock canyon trailway. it is the only long rails to trails i know of in texas. its 64 miles and very very isolated. i love it.

txulrich
2006-01-15, 23:10
youve got to go hike the caprock canyon trailway. it is the only long rails to trails i know of in texas. its 64 miles and very very isolated. i love it.

Where is it? Links??

eeboaz
2006-01-16, 07:51
Where is it? Links??

A good resource for hiking in Texas, other than this site, would be Texas Hiking (http://www.texashiking.com/).

Here's a link (http://www.texashiking.com/Hiking/FindAHike.asp) to their "Find a Hike" search page, if you just put "Caprock" in the Keywords field and click on "Find" you'll get some links for Caprock Canyon. There's several trails, including the long one previously mentioned.

(Unfortunately, you can't link directly to search results on their website.)

HTH,