PDA

View Full Version : Hennessy underpad and undercover?

parsond
2005-03-08, 14:32
I`m thinking about getting a Hennessy, but am worried I will get cold in one. I read most of the threads on this topic, but did not see any mention of the new underpad and undercover Hennessy is offering. I am wondering if I should purchase them when I order the Hammock?

Does anyone have any experience with these products?

I hike in Wyoming - Yellowstone and the Winds - only in the summer, but it gets pretty cold at times at higher elevations. I typically sleep comfortably in a Kelty 25 degree bag while wearing long johns, socks, a hat, and (sometimes) a lite weight fleece coat with a 3/4 thermarest under me.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

SGT Rock
2005-03-08, 15:03
I used the full enclosed supershelter with pad prototype last year, and it did keep me warmer, but I can't say for sure how good it works because I never fully tested it. The newer version has two seperate parts because of moisture problems with the other system. It is a good design idea, but as to actuall performance I am not sure yet. I have used the JRB underquilt and bottom Weathershiled which has worked well for me, so if you equate that to the HH system , the undercover and about 2 or 3 pads (depends on their thickness) may give you the same insulation.

parsond
2005-03-08, 16:30
is the Henessy a good idea for backpacking in the rocky mountains? I will not be above tree line so that is not a concern.

Dan

SGT Rock
2005-03-08, 16:36
I've never backpacked in the Rockies, so couldn't say if that has any bearing on anything. I really enjoy mine more than any other shelter I hav ever used.

Bjorkin
2005-03-08, 17:34
I feel like the HH is one of the better camping hammocks on the market. However, when it comes to tarps, insulation systems, and other covers I believe the aftermarket has better choices than HH.

The Jacks R Better systems seem very well liked and I'm ordering a MacCat tarp because of it's increased size, smoother fit, and gives me multiple pitching options. Hammocks should be looked at as a shelter which needs to be personalized. I don't think there is an "out of the box" all-in-one solution so you'll just have to do what most do. Buy the Hennessy and experiment with different insulation solutions.

IMO, a pad does work but is more work keeping it centered under you than a complete under insulation system. Plus, a pad only keeps what's on it warm. There is no wiggle room with a straight pad. Some use the blue Target closed-cell pads which are cheap and can be cut to provide better coverage.

The under insulators are a little heavier but my sleep system is my #1 priority on the trail and worth the 20 or so extra ozs.

bearbag hanger
2005-03-08, 18:12
I experimented with the HH underpad and undercover, didn't like them. They did keep me warmer than without them, but the system made my HH Ultralight Backpacker model smaller and I had less room inside the hammock than without the undercover. The underpad is very fragile and is already, after only about four nights use, ripped apart and barely useable.

I've since gone to a JackRbetter underquilt and also use my 5' by 8' Integral Designs Sil Poncho when I need more wind and/or rain protection. So far so good, but have only had it out down to about 40 degrees. That's about as cold as it gets down here in Florida.

MalTheElder
2005-04-04, 01:05
. . . down to about 40 degrees. That's about as cold as it gets down here in Florida.

You don't get north of the lake much, eh? :) In central Florida (Ocala, Gaineseville area) it gets down in the 20's every few years, and below freezing several times each winter. On the Panhandle side of the Suwannee, expect 20's every winter, and occasionally well below that. That's why we always try to pitch on the north/west bank of the rivers.

BTW, I am in the middle of making a poor man's clone of the JRB underquilt for my Byer. I'm splitting a cheap (and heavy) Coleman bag. You use what you've got. While I can't sew, my sister is s stone wizard of the needle and thread.

By the way, how's that 5x8 poncho work in the wet and wind? I'm working on a hex-shaped poncho to double as an emergency fly, 8 x 6.5 ft.

Actually, troops, I'm just pulling Bearbag's chain---he's right about 40's being pretty much the worst most of Florida can typically expect.

Best,
Mal

peter_pan
2005-04-04, 09:34
Bjorkin, et al,

It is a little tiresome to keep seeing posts that under quilts of 20 oz are heavy.... Or...that since my sleep system is priority one, 20 oz is ok.

Switching to under quilts actually takes weight out of a pack...here are the facts.
Add under quilt of 20 oz.
Delete the pad...minus 10 to 20/24 oz depending on the model removed ( blue foam to Thermorest, short/long)
Delete an extra layer of top insulation since the underquilt is wearable ( 10 oz for 100 wgt fleece to 20/24 oz for 200 wgt fleece).

The bonus is the reduction in cubic inches of load. Under quilt is less than 350 cu in... the pad roll is 500 cu in to 1000 cu in depending on the model.... the reduced fleece garment is 100 to 200 cu in depending on the model.

My big three ( pack, shelter, sleeping system) is 83 ozs or 5.2 lbs ( Pack 16 oz, HH Extreme Lt Racer 14 oz, JRB 8x8 tarp w/ cords 11 oz, Jrb Python Skins 2 oz, Nest under quilt 20 oz, No Sniveller quilt 20 oz, two pegs 1 oz.

This allow the pack to be as small as 2400 cu in main compartment...With extra luxury items ( Waldies, umbrella hat, and sit pad) and be 11.4 lb base load...15 lb weekends, including food water and fuel are readily achieved without the waldies and umbrells hat.... In Fact, I have a Kelty Assault pack ( Circa 1999, day pack) with a main compartment of 2000 cu in that makes a fine weekend pack with this load.

Pan

climber11
2005-04-04, 20:45
Well said Pan.

HH Ultralight - 31oz
Home sewn quilt - 20oz
Home sewn underquilt - 20oz
Home sewn pack - 7.5oz
total: 78.5oz

All for less than @250 startup costs including the sewing machine.
You got it right on.
Scott

peter_pan
2005-04-04, 21:23
Climber11,

think you should recheck your $ numbers....HHbackpacker UL at a good price (TD 2004) is $138, material and 800 fill down is approx $125 per quilt retail from OWF and FF or thru-hiker. Thru-hiker.com kit was about the same cost last time I checked...pack material could be as little as $40....add a Wally World special on a low end sewing machine $79-99... Total must be at least $ 505-525 plus tax (?) and shipping.... Even still it is a very reasonable approach....

Alternatively, you can buy the whole rig substituting a go-lite breeze or thompson pack at $79 , JRB threeseaon quilt set and the HH backpacker UL for a total of $590 plus applicable tax and shipping. ... Or invest in a machine and do the sewing and save $65-85. Hmmm.

Pan