PDA

View Full Version : Howdy!

unbreakable
2005-03-09, 14:21
I guess this is where intros go. I couldn't find a more suitable location. The real name is Jim. I'm 43 (in May), retired US Navy Chief Petty Officer (E-7), married with three adult kids. My youngest is 18. Oldest son serving in Iraq right now with NMCB-1 (Naval Mobile Construction Battallion-1), Daughter, a Nurse after college graduation in May and the youngest boy is headed for the CB's himself as soon as high school is over. The missus is an Assistant Branch Manager at a local bank. Currently I work for Ginna (gih-nay) Nuclear Power Plant in Ontario, NY; in Operations.

After a very long lay off from camping/hiking a friend an I have committed ourselves to do some fair trips this spring and summer. We are well into the plan for our first in May to do a couple Adirondack high peaks and some ridge walking.

This looked like a great place for good info and to share with likeminded folks.

I carry a sidearm at all times (S&W 60j .357 Mag, 2" stub with koa custom combat grips) except to and from work because since 9-11, private firearms and nuclear power plants don't mix well.

Personal political affiliation: Reaganite, need I say more?

favorite motto: Peace Through Superior Firepower!

I'm proud to make all-ya'alls acquaintence both military and civilian.

Anchors aweigh,
Jim

txulrich
2005-03-09, 16:27
I guess this is where intros go. I couldn't find a more suitable location. The real name is Jim. I'm 43 (in May), retired US Navy Chief Petty Officer (E-7), married with three adult kids. My youngest is 18. Oldest son serving in Iraq right now with NMCB-1 (Naval Mobile Construction Battallion-1), Daughter, a Nurse after college graduation in May and the youngest boy is headed for the CB's himself as soon as high school is over. The missus is an Assistant Branch Manager at a local bank. Currently I work for Ginna (gih-nay) Nuclear Power Plant in Ontario, NY; in Operations.

Jim

Hi Jim,

You have my sympathies for living in Western NY. I spent 20+ years in Rottenchester. :biggrin: The best thing about up there is that there are some great trails within an hours or so drive. The bad part, you only get 2 seasons. Winter and August! Check out the Finger Lakes Trail. Welcome to the site.

Peace,
Joe

unbreakable
2005-03-10, 17:53
I live in LeRoy (*exit1 490 ) and work in Ontario. I get to drive the lovely snow belts all winter. I actually prefer the cold so I dig the weather here. After most my years in Virginia I must admit I like the weather there too.

jimtanker
2005-03-10, 18:04
Welcome to the board Jim.
Jim

unbreakable
2005-03-10, 18:19
tanks! pun intended.

txulrich
2005-03-10, 23:16
I live in LeRoy (*exit1 490 ) and work in Ontario. I get to drive the lovely snow belts all winter. I actually prefer the cold so I dig the weather here. After most my years in Virginia I must admit I like the weather there too.

That is a heck of a drive, even in the summer!! I used to live in Greece. At one time I worked on Carlson Road (near University Ave.) and had to drive through Irondiquiot to get there. I worked for the yellow box for a bunch of years, till they sold my division. Now, I only miss the snow on Christmas morning. :biggrin:

Peace,
Joe

unbreakable
2005-03-11, 11:33
it's not too awfully bad. I get on 490 at exit 1, all the way across the city to 590 North to 104 east right to Ginna Nuclear. It takes about 55 minutes if traffic isn't snarled up because some jack-ass forgets we have a winter season. 53.3 mile each way. In actuality it gives me ample time to destress and listen to tunes or talk radio.

Pappyhighlife
2005-03-11, 13:12
Welcome aboard, just read your post on Mil.com. Mr. Reagan always was and is my personal hero as well.

JPW
2005-03-11, 15:23
Welcome !! I'm a retired FC1. Secondary NEC 9545 security. Was on riot squad, asroc guard and shore patrol. That kept me in shape for packpacking.

unbreakable
2005-04-18, 18:10
Thanks to all. Sorry it took so long to respond. I'm nursing a broken hand. A young lady of 17 with a brand new license felt the need to occupy my lane sideways a couple of weeks ago. Totaled both her moms van and my car. needless to say I've been busy with other things and besides that typing left hand only is a pain in the liberal. I'll try to be a bit more regular.

AddyB
2005-04-18, 21:54
Why do you carry a gun around? Do you feel that your personal safety is at risk when you leave your house?

Curious,

Adam

Rage in a Cage
2005-04-18, 23:36
Thanks to all. Sorry it took so long to respond. I'm nursing a broken hand. A young lady of 17 with a brand new license felt the need to occupy my lane sideways a couple of weeks ago. Totaled both her moms van and my car. needless to say I've been busy with other things and besides that typing left hand only is a pain in the liberal. I'll try to be a bit more regular.

Broken body parts suck. I hope you feel better soon. :)

Lone Wolf
2005-04-19, 05:45
He carries because it is his right to guaranteed by the Constitution.

jimtanker
2005-04-19, 08:09
What Lone Wolf said. I cary my Sig 226 or my Colt .45 with me all the time. Never felt threatened and NEVER feel scarred.

Think about this, what if just one person was allowed to legaly carry a firearm at the Lubys in Texas. There was at least one person there that left their wepon in their car so they didnt have it to defend thier life as is thier right. The government is who was at fault for not taking care of the citizens. That is the one thing that Washington has going on. I'm glad that Texas at least fixed thier problem. Now the rest of the counrty should wizen up.

AddyB
2005-04-19, 12:54
That just shows in very black and white the difference between your country and mine. I have never felt the need to carry a weapon with me when I leave my house, no matter where I go. I don't even lock my house half the time. I've never been broken into, and I've never been attacked in my city. The difference is almost frightening. But then again, I live in BC, so technically speaking, we're all non-violent pot-heads. :biggrin:

txulrich
2005-04-19, 13:32
it's not too awfully bad. I get on 490 at exit 1, all the way across the city to 590 North to 104 east right to Ginna Nuclear. It takes about 55 minutes if traffic isn't snarled up because some jack-ass forgets we have a winter season. 53.3 mile each way. In actuality it gives me ample time to destress and listen to tunes or talk radio.

I guess some jack-ass forgot about winter?!? :rolleyes:

Hey, is Brother Weaze still DJing on WCMF?

jimtanker
2005-04-20, 14:19
I dont have a NEED to carry, I like to. And, as has been stated, we posses the right to bear arms. Something that will never be taken away in this country.

shooter
2005-05-10, 22:05
well the right to carry is the law in my state,just a few forms and a background. the need to pack a gun is a free choice in the land of the free.
to the person that ask the question why do you feel the need to carry a fire arm.(speaking for my self of course) it is not a need but a right as in free speach,or right to protest,exc. so long as one does not abuse this right,where i come the gun is a common place tool ,nothing more nothing less.
"THEY THAT CAN GIVE UP ESSENTIAL LIBERTY TO OBTAIN A LITTLE TEMPORARY SAFTEY DESERVE NEATHER LIBERTY NOR SAFTEY" (BEN FRANKLIN)
SHOOTER