PDA

View Full Version : Shameless marketing ploy

SGT Rock
2005-03-11, 09:40
Since the ATC gives out a certificate to the purist that hikes the entire AT, I think I'll offer a free certificate to any thru-hiker/2,000 miler that uses my stove. I haven't exactly figured it out yet, but something along the lines of:

I Thru-Hiked the AT without Sniveling

To all ye present be it known that ____________________ has completed the Appalachian Trail in their own style with panache and daring do by doing so without sniveling. They did so by enduring great hardships while enjoying the few pleasures that Murphy allowed to slip through the cracks. Not only did their personal endurance and steadfastness lead them to such a great accomplishment, but the fact that they were smart enough to use a SGT Rock stove in the quest for this endeavor contributed immensely to their success. The fact that a "Piece of the Rock" has carried them through snow, wind, rain, and hunger is a testament to their superior intellect and intuition when it comes to stove related knowledge. Their trail names shall go down in history as those that dared to do what others have only dreamed of...

Given on this ____ day of ______ in the year of our lord ___________

[original signed]
SGT Rock
No Sniveling!

SGT Rock
2005-03-11, 10:35
And maybe something like this somewhere on the page (warning, contains profanity): http://hikinghq.net/images/ShutTheF_Up.jpg

Hog On Ice
2005-03-11, 11:48
"I carried a Rock from Springer to Katahdin" can be said proudly by those NOBOs that get this certificate.

youngblood
2005-03-11, 12:12
Actually, a lot of people do carry a rock... really. Some of them carry one to Springer to place on Katahdin and others will take one home from both Springer and Katahdin. Others may carry several as suvinours to give to folks.

Youngblood

MalTheElder
2008-01-22, 17:00
Since the ATC gives out a certificate to the purist that hikes the entire AT, I think I'll offer a free certificate to any thru-hiker/2,000 miler that uses my stove. . . .

But what about the other big trails? I'll likely never get to hike the AT, but the Florida Trail is a distinct possibility. And then there's the PCT, CDT, etc.

Just curious,
Mal

rbd
2008-01-22, 19:43
Bad idea! A certificate like that will create so much demand for the stove that you can't keep up with all the orders - then you'll need to spend this year - and next - making stoves instead of hiking.... but - put it on hold till after your hike is over.

SGT Rock
2008-01-22, 20:43
But what about the other big trails? I'll likely never get to hike the AT, but the Florida Trail is a distinct possibility. And then there's the PCT, CDT, etc.

Just curious,
MalI'll make one for them to.

Bad idea! A certificate like that will create so much demand for the stove that you can't keep up with all the orders - then you'll need to spend this year - and next - making stoves instead of hiking.... but - put it on hold till after your hike is over.
I can send a rain check until I get back

Amigi
2008-01-22, 22:00
I dont know what to say about this, but I do love the backhanded slam on the "purist" concept of thruhiking. TOO MUCH BULLSHIT. HYOK is all anyone should be judged on. If some wacky group of folks wants to apply their label, let them live their sheltered life. I could care less. If you make it to Kat from Spring, I dont care if it takes a life time.... You thrued it. Ideally, it wouldnt be 200 ten mile day hikes, but who cares. Compare a two year thru, where youre hiking what you can until life calls, vs speed hiking the thing over 50 days with ppl handing you food and water like a 2000 mile marathon.... I'll take the former. That's a thru, but just my op.

MalTheElder
2008-01-22, 22:05
Oops. I was just funnin', Top :embarasse. I ran across this thread, and the certificate just tickled me pink. Having a terminal case of smart-ass, I just had to pull your leg.

I guess I'd better make myself an Ion; I need a new stove anyway. My old one's over a year old, and getting raggedy.

Best,
Mal