PDA

View Full Version : technical HH question

Turk
2005-03-11, 19:25
Okay, I was just about to ready to throw in the towel on my 2 rope system, high hammock pitch ... and then I got one last idea.

The problem with entering and exiting with my system is always the lack of a good solid hand hold. Now matter how I approached the acrobatics of getting into the hammock while balancing on a saging rope, there was always a moment of panic when you have to jump-sit into the HH and let go of your hand hold rope.

It hit me ... the problem is the ridge line! The ridge line in the HH that holds up the mesh is much thinner than the cord that holds your body weight. Perhaps I could beef-up the ridge line to something more solid that I could grab onto and support a major part of my body weight when entering or exiting the hammock. Ideally it would be of the same cord that the backpacker ultralight hangs from. But failing that, I would make my own, out of nylon, alot thicker for better grip in your hand, but also able to take your full bodyweight should you slip.

Has anyone ever changed the ridge line on their HH?
Would anyone know aprox how much weight the standard ridgeline for the HH ultralight backpacker will hold?

And lastly, if I do change out my ridge line, does anyone know if those little nylon sleeves that cover the attachment points from nylon to cordage on the HH can come off. Or if I have to cut them off?

youngblood
2005-03-11, 19:36
Turk,

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do have a thought for you. If the problem is the bottom entry/exit, another option is to use a hammock that is more accomodating to what you want to do... in this case a top entry hammock? Sometimes it is easier to appreciate something for what it is and understand its limitations rather than try to make it in to something that it isn't.

Youngblood

SGT Rock
2005-03-11, 21:24
One incarnation of the HH ultralight used a piece of spectra nylon as the ridge line, but since is isn't load bearing that was sort of a waste.

youngblood
2005-03-11, 22:11
One incarnation of the HH ultralight used a piece of spectra nylon as the ridge line, but since is isn't load bearing that was sort of a waste.Sarge... Depending on how you set up the hammock, I think the ridgeline can have quite a bit of tension on it. The hammock bed itself is hung at an angle partially determined by the length of the ridgeline cord. The more the angle that the hammock ropes departs from that angle, the larger the force trying to stretch the ridgeline cord. On that spreadsheet I refered you to earlier, what I came up with for the ridgeline is labeled as Force3. All these multiplying type forces generated by hammock ropes and ridgeline cords are not necessarily intuitive by just looking at a hammock, but they are there. FWIW, I don't thing anyone has checked what I came up with for the ridgeline forces and I haven't seen anyone else's analysis of it, so take it with that in mind.

Also, I added another diagram to the link I gave you earlier trying to give a little visual to what is going on with the support ropes and the forces generated. Are you going to Hot Springs for Trail Fest next month?

Youngblood

CanoeBlue
2005-03-11, 22:25
Last year I broke the ridgeline and contacted Hennessey to ask that if they would:
1.) repair it and
2.) substitute a stonger line.

On both counts the answer was yes - and they did, without charge. It took a while to get it back but they did a great job, even threw in a few extra pieces and a very nice note when they sent it back. Just know that they will work with you - give them a call.

SGT Rock
2005-03-11, 22:47
I will probably not make it to Trail Fest. I am still trying, but it doesn't look good.

deadeye
2005-03-11, 22:50
Turk, this isn't quite in keeping with the thread, but did you ever tell us why you wanted to get so high? :confused:

youngblood
2005-03-12, 10:37
Last year I broke the ridgeline and contacted Hennessey to ask that if they would:
1.) repair it and
2.) substitute a stonger line.

On both counts the answer was yes - and they did, without charge. It took a while to get it back but they did a great job, even threw in a few extra pieces and a very nice note when they sent it back. Just know that they will work with you - give them a call.I have always heard great things about Tom Hennessy and his willingness to work with folks... I suspect what you got was his 'usual service'.

How did you manage to break the ridgeline and what kind of stronger line did he use?

Youngblood