PDA

View Full Version : JRB Weathershield

SGT Rock
2005-03-16, 12:58
I just uploaded the JRB Weather Shield review: http://hikinghq.net/hammock/jacks_weathershield.html

I wanted to get the navigation bar updated too, but I have been having server issues for a few days now. Sorry about that.

J.D.
2005-03-16, 19:01
I just uploaded the JRB Weather Shield review: http://hikinghq.net/hammock/jacks_weathershield.html

Well, Sir, I studied that review for awhile. Thanks for Posting! Seems to me that there are now about seventy-eleven different ideas on how to stay warm in a hammock.

But, this "Weather-Shield" would seem to be a great solution when it comes to weight/bulk. Risk's "ZHammock" idea of a "sleeve/pocket" for the pad makes more & more sense to me because of your comments about squirming around to get it into place. So, if I followed your review, a pad and the "Weather Shield" would take it down to zero F, right?

Youngblood was nice enough to basically tell me not to be so impatient and see/touch/smell/taste all of these options at Trail Fest. Thank You, Youngblood! Huh... If I had any patients, I would've been a doctor...<g>..

And, last night, I got to looking around for that "Aerogel" stuff. It's out there (at a Price!). But, a pad of that Aerogel stuff and the "Weather Shield" and maybe sub-zero....!

Sarge, how's it looking? Have time be at Trail Fest?

Thanks again for Posting the review.

SGT Rock
2005-03-16, 22:03
Probably not at Trail Fest, but I am still trying to make Trail Days.

peter_pan
2005-03-17, 10:30
Rock etal,

Thanks for the test report on the Weather Shield.

I would like to add a comment. Although You correctly stated in the statistics summary that there is no stated temerature range, you gave a personal estimate of 35 degrees... While an experienced warm sleeper with other gear, rain suit etc might get to 35 degrees I think it fairest for this, and most all un insulated bottoms (taco etc). to think in range of 50-55 by itself/themselves. Below this range all the dead air space systems ( ie shells/ shields) truely need some insulation...They are then best thought of as Range Extenders to quilts or pads etc. In this manner the Weather Shield Top may be an opportunity to avoid the cost of a second warmer bag when simple ten degree range improvement is desired with minimal marginal cost.

Pan

SGT Rock
2005-03-17, 11:24
Pan,

I don't think I stated a 35F range. I read through it and hope I didn't give that idea by accident. Can you point to what part gave that impression so I can look at how to edit that so it reads more clearly.

Something else, I like this discussion, I think I should add a discussion thread link to all reviews. What do you guys think?

youngblood
2005-03-17, 12:30
Sarge,

Look again at the paragraph right below the price... about the fourth paragraph from the beginning. I figured you where including something else with it, probably the underquilt... or you were using one heck of a pair of long johns. :biggrin:

Youngblood

SGT Rock
2005-03-17, 12:35
Doh! you are right! Damn I totally missed that!

It is fixed, plus I added a link to this thread.

Just Jeff
2005-03-17, 22:37
Something else, I like this discussion, I think I should add a discussion thread link to all reviews. What do you guys think?

That's a great idea!

For example, I have a JetBoil and a lot of the reviews seem to be pretty one-sided. Either they're written by an ultra-lighter who deplores the extra few ounces or they're done by a "normal" hiker who loves the all-in-one aspect and doesn't give much thought to weight.

I've noticed that in weight comparisons, most of them don't compare ALL of the features of the JetBoil. They compare a JetBoil's weight to another canister stove with a lightweight single-pot cookset. Fine...now include a pot handle, heat exchanger, cozy, lid, windscreen, pot support if not included on the stove, and a measuring/drinking cup. The JetBoil may still be heavier, but not a half-pound heavier! (I suck up the extra weight for the convenience, but I'd still like to have a choice of pot shapes.)

Anyway, when I think the reviews overlooked something, I'd like to point it out but there's no discussion board. Email works if there's contact info, but only for the reviewer and not where it can be posted for discussion.

Just MHO...I think linking discussions to your reviews would be awesome!

Jeff

peter_pan
2005-03-18, 08:49
Rock,

I agree that adding discussion get more info and wider opinion consolidated in one location....It also contributes to better test reports, because a tester knows the test and report, as well as the piece of gear, is subject to review.

PS. The openess of your site and gear reviews is first class.

Pan

SGT Rock
2005-03-18, 10:45
Rock,

I agree that adding discussion get more info and wider opinion consolidated in one location....It also contributes to better test reports, because a tester knows the test and report, as well as the piece of gear, is subject to review.

PS. The openess of your site and gear reviews is first class.

Pan

Thanks Pan,

I figure I better tell it like it is, that is all I would want from someone, and I think this idea of allowing two way interaction is the best way to do it. I plan to start adding some links for other reviews today. Since you interact here a lot, I'll add the No-Sniveler Quilt next.