PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi Can Stove

parkender
2005-03-30, 07:29
I made a Scott Henderson Pepsi can stove according to instructions at http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/pepsistove.shtml The stove works a treat and boils up water no problem except I seem to have a yellow flame in addition to the blue ‘gas cooker’ type flame as normally seen in pictures of these stoves in action. The yellow flame is around the center of the stove and extends to a couple of inches above the stove – when a cooking pot is placed above the stove then flames lick around the sides of the pot. I’m concerned that I may be wasting fuel – is this just due to excess air in the stove – or is this pretty normal?

SGT Rock
2005-03-30, 09:23
You might try a few things:

Lowering the pot closer to the burner.

Making a tight windscreen to reduce air flow slightly.

Making a new one with less burner holes or smaller burner holes, or a combination of the two.

Hog On Ice
2005-03-30, 10:25
I am thinking that the fuel may have sucked up a bit of water from somewhere (atmosphere?) and that is why the yellow flames. This can happen fairly easily.

jimtanker
2005-03-30, 11:51
That happened to me when I first started using mine. Make sure your pot is only about 1 inch above the stove. That way the center flame should go out.

parkender
2005-03-31, 03:48
Thanks for the advice guys - I've a feeling the pot is way too far away from the flame at the moment - I'm trying a few pot stand designs I've found on here and other sites, so I'll try to make sure the gap is around an inch and I'll experiment a bit more with windshields.

Aussie Nutter
2005-04-02, 03:01
I am thinking that the fuel may have sucked up a bit of water from somewhere (atmosphere?) and that is why the yellow flames. This can happen fairly easily.

Does anyone put a few drops of water in their metho as per the trangia instructions. It is suposed to stop soot build up on pots and also alow you to cook in tents??? Does the water mix affect the burn temp/general flame attributes? or is it a crock?

mcyleman
2005-04-18, 06:03
Denatured alcohol is always listed as the fuel of choice for the soda can stove. Can you use regular isopropyl alcohol as well? It would be a duel use item since you could use it for first aid etc.

Fox
2005-04-18, 16:40
You can, BUT...
Isopropyl alcohol tends to burn with a lot of soot and also, not quite as hot. It takes far more to achieve the same success.

I want to know if grain alcohols are burnable (everclear, 151, etc) and what brand/name/etc. I camp with teenagers and I don't want stupid friends saying "I thought the 'toxic' label was a joke- it looked and smelled like vodka!" on the way to the hospital =P

Lanthar
2005-04-18, 17:29
You can, BUT...
Isopropyl alcohol tends to burn with a lot of soot and also, not quite as hot. It takes far more to achieve the same success.

I want to know if grain alcohols are burnable (everclear, 151, etc) and what brand/name/etc. I camp with teenagers and I don't want stupid friends saying "I thought the 'toxic' label was a joke- it looked and smelled like vodka!" on the way to the hospital =P

everclear is supposed to make a very nice fuel, higher btu/oz than HEET and non-toxic to people or the environment

bstwo
2005-04-23, 21:59
Parkender,

I have a windscreen design that works quite well, It is on my Stove and Acc page.

http://webpages.charter.net/fam-strick/web/ (My Home Page)

Use denatured alcohol and raise and lower your pot over it till you get the best flame, should be 1"- 1 1/4"

OhCanada
2005-04-24, 03:57
I have two Minibull Designs stoves where the pot sits on the stove.

Made a reg stove but never made a pot stand I like, so I went Minibull.

Any preference over the two? (stand vs. directly on the stove?)

bstwo
2005-04-24, 09:21
OhCanada,

It really depends on the size of your cook pot, if you have a large diameter pot, the side burners work great. For smaller pots and cups the top burners are best.

SGT Rock
2005-04-24, 10:59
I prefer a center burner although I prefer the stand not come off the stove for easy set up. I used some left over titanium scraps to make a new stand for my Ion this weekend that is a different shape (similar to Major S's) and is so tight to my Ion that it keeps a hold on the stove even when not in use. I'm going to play with it a little and I may end up offering it as an alternate design stand to the current TiPod.