PDA

View Full Version : Expect LA trail reports

MalTheElder
2005-03-30, 11:49
Just as I'm beginning to get geared up for FLorida hiking & hammocking, I'm moving to Louisiana. New Orleans. I'll be there this time next week.

As soon as I get established there, expect the occasional trail report frrom the Bayou State. Maybe I should retrieve my big ol' Coleman canoe . . . the tupperware kind, an absolute bombproof.

NB: I have discovered I absolutely cannot sew. What a drag.

Mal

Rage in a Cage
2005-03-31, 00:31
I have been to N.O. several times. Never had the chance to get out and hike while I was there unless you count the walks to and from the trolley line. I have always enjoyed my visits but never had the desire to live there. I tend to resist domestication. :biggrin:
I can't sew either. I can sow but I can't sew. :bawling:
Good luck with your move. :)

MalTheElder
2005-07-25, 12:28
Troops,

So much for Louisiana. I promptly got spider-bitten, spent umpteen weeks trying to keep my foot, and I'm back in Florida. Hardly saw the outside of Charity Hospital the whole time. But now I know I'm massively diabetic, so something good came from it!

Made my first post-op hike the other day---a whopping couple of miles in Fern Forest using my hiking poles. It's my first walk more than a couple hundred meters without crutches. But then I'm not supposed to be out of bed at all until maybe October, so I figure that's pretty good!

So until I'm mobile again, y'all hike a few klicks for me, eh?

Happy trails,
Mal (Spider-Foot) the Elder

blackdog
2005-07-25, 16:48
So much for Louisiana. I promptly got spider-bitten, spent umpteen weeks trying to keep my foot, and I'm back in Florida. Hardly saw the outside of Charity Hospital the whole time. But now I know I'm massively diabetic, so something good came from it!
Been thinking about spider and snake bites because of some postings recently. I've also been watching TV between the computer fixes. Animal Planet (a discovery channel) has a documentary series called "Venom E.R." featuring a doctor Sean Bush. He has venomous snakes and spiders at home and seems to know quite a bit about bites.

I googled a bit and found the actual homepage of the Venom E.R. (http://www.llu.edu/llumc/emergency/venom-er/) and thought I would share it.

Would be great to have him visit the forum and give some advice, wouldn't it? In this age of networks it's not impossible, you know.

Btw, the small cans that some disposable glucose probes come in are great for small objects like hooks, rubber bands and pills. The straight, cylindric shape makes wrapping duct tape around it a simple job. Is the insuline and related equipment very expensive in the States?

MalTheElder
2005-09-18, 01:44
Btw, the small cans that some disposable glucose probes come in are great for small objects like hooks, rubber bands and pills. The straight, cylindric shape makes wrapping duct tape around it a simple job. Is the insuline and related equipment very expensive in the States?

Yup. I hold on to my empty test strip canisters for exactly that reason. A 30-day bottle of 100U insulin (the US standard strength) runs roughly 20 USD or a little less---@ 18 USD for me, except the county is buying mine right now. Syringes run about 10 USD for a thirty-day supply of 60 (I only inject twice daily---others may need more). Test strips are the most expensive, running about 1 USD per test strip. I don't test much right now for just that reason.

I did a little research this past week on keeping insulin without refrigeration. It IS possible. First, though, insulin loses its potency after 30 days, once the bottle is opened. Period. Refrigeration maximizes its potency, but you really only have to make sure it's kept cool (room temperature or below), is not exposed to the sun, and is kept from getting too hot or too cold (do NOT freeze the stuff!). It can get pretty hot in your pack.

Cold packs are good to keep your insulin cool. In camp or even while moving you can rig a "cooler" by using cool water and a container that will sweat, like an old water bag that kept cool by sweating through its skin. There are other dodges---but first try them with something less critical than your meds! When I get a chance to do some field testing I'll post complete info.

It doesn't look as if I'm hiking LA anytinme soon, though I'm jonesing to get out to Covington or Angola to help.

See ya on the trail!
Mal