PDA

View Full Version : Help Getting Started

s35pilot
2005-03-30, 20:07
I am an ulralight tent backpacker and I want to convert to a hammock. I find so many times I would like to call it a night but there I am in a hilly section of trail with no place to pitch even my small tarp tent. I have a nice sil-nylon 8x10 tarp.

I want full bug protection and reasonably light. What is the least expensive way to get a good set-up? I've never tried the hammock but I'm pretty sure I'll get along fine with it.

I looked at the Hennessy hammock but didn't want to get the wrong stuff since it would cost in excess of $200. Is there some other equipment that might be just as good for less money

I looked at the Sgt Rock starter suggestion but I don't think it provides the bug protection. Should I just bite the bullet and buy the high dollar stuff? I like lite equipment so how about the very light racer models?

Incidently I weigh 170 lbs at 5'10".

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tim

Sgathak
2005-03-30, 21:45
Hessessy will likely meet your needs the best, but is kind of spendy when new. Best bet is to do an eBay search.

If you just cant justify the HH, Byer makes some good gear... and exped has a nice offering - and you can leave the net behind when you dont need it.

GregH
2005-03-31, 11:10
I'll second Sgathak's advice. The Hennessy Hammock is a solid piece of gear and I believe it's worth the money. They also back their product with great service and support. Buy value.

Email them and ask if they have any clearance/2nds available, and, of course, check ebay.

s35pilot
2005-03-31, 16:29
I ordered a backpacker ultralight today. I plan on using my 8x10 silnylon tarp with it. If I don't like how the tarp works I'll order the fly later. Thanks for the advice.

Tim :)

Rage in a Cage
2005-03-31, 16:57
I ordered a backpacker ultralight today. I plan on using my 8x10 silnylon tarp with it. If I don't like how the tarp works I'll order the fly later. Thanks for the advice.

Tim :)
Did you order it w/o the fly? Normally the Hennessy ships with a fly. Just curious. :smile:

Turk
2005-03-31, 17:58
I looked at the Sgt Rock starter suggestion but I don't think it provides the bug protection. Should I just bite the bullet and buy the high dollar stuff? I like lite equipment so how about the very light racer models?

Incidently I weigh 170 lbs at 5'10".

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tim

Greetings,
Also being new to hammock camping, I have found the people on this forum to be supremely helpful. I was advised against the racer model hammocks because they are so light and flimsy, they won't stand up to the test of time. If you visit the HH site you will also notice that the HH racer hammock is only warrantied for 1 year for this very reason. Racer models I guess won't stand up to heavy use. However, I am no expert. Maybe somebody here that has used the racers can speak for them.

If you are going hammock, the hammock camping forum section is packed with useful tips and advice on anything and everything related to hammocks.
Check it out. It was very helpful to me.

Lastly, you should be able to get a HH for under $200. Here in Canada the backpacker ultralight was only $150.00 +tax. The american dollar being mightier should aid you in getting an even better deal.

s35pilot
2005-03-31, 18:19
Did you order it w/o the fly? Normally the Hennessy ships with a fly. Just curious. :smile:

Yes I ordered it without the fly. I got it a little less and though I'd use my existing tarp (assuming it works ok).

Best.... Tim :)

GregH
2005-03-31, 22:13
You've made a good choice. Welcome to the brotherhood !

s35pilot
2005-04-02, 22:52
Thanks Greg,

I'll post a note and let you know how well it works for me... thanks, Tim

GregH
2005-04-03, 20:47
Tim,
Practice setup and takedown at home to get the hang of it before hitting the trail. Have fun.

Just Jeff
2005-04-03, 20:57
Tim,
Practice setup and takedown at home to get the hang of it before hitting the trail. Have fun.

And be sure to watch the video for the figure 8 knot...it's kinda a pain (though not impossible) to learn it from the instructions on the bag.

Rage in a Cage
2005-04-03, 21:04
That is a good point about the knot. If you don't watch the video it may be a problem the first time or two you set it up. I mean it is a wierd thought when you are sitting down and getting in for the first time and not quite sure if you got the knot right. It is no better when you go to take it down after it settling all night and you can't get the knot loose because you "almost" tied it the right way. Of course I never have such problems. :rolleyes: