PDA

View Full Version : Ed Speers Book

Rage in a Cage
2005-04-01, 04:17
Has anyone here read Ed Speers book on hammock camping? I am thinking about ordering it but I don't know if it will be any help to me. I hate wasting money on a book only to find that I already know most of what it contains. :)

SGT Rock
2005-04-01, 04:32
You already know most of what it contains. It is more to persuade people to change to hammocks instead of teaching new stuff.

peter_pan
2005-04-01, 09:37
Get a copy....good organized list of reasons, benefits etc....lots of ways to save money on home made approaches.... lend it to the ground dwellers you are trying to convert.... get ready to welcome a new convert....supports a leader and the entire hammock movement....Ed Speers has done as much or more for the hammock community as Tom Hennessy.... He does it all from the heart.

Pan

Just Jeff
2005-04-01, 10:12
You can find a lot of the stuff on his website, and fill in some of the gaps in the forums here, on WB, and the Yahoo group. Even though I already knew a lot of it, I still thought it was worth the $8 I paid for a used one on Amazon...looks like they're going for around $12 now.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=stripbooks:relevance-above&field-keywords=hammock%252520camping&search-type=ss&bq=1&store-name=books/ref=xs_ap_l_xgl14/102-7524303-3344907

Or you could buy a PeaPod and get a free copy...

climber11
2005-04-01, 12:44
I have a copy I'll part with if you want it. Shoot me your address on email, and I will send it too you free of charge. Maybe we can start circulating it around the members who haven't read it yet. ?? Anyone else interested?
Scott

Rage in a Cage
2005-04-01, 14:57
Thanks guys. The reason I thought about it was last night I was browsing around some hammock sites just to see if anyone had any new info or gear. In the process I ran across several ads for the book. I had saw the book a while back but it had slipped my mind. I am going to take Climber11 up on the offer, it will at least give me something to read whether I learn anything new or not. When I get finished reading it I will gladly send it to anyone else that is interested. I have offered Climber11 my copy of Cody Lundins book 98.6 The art of keeping your ass alive. It was a fun read and had some usefull info. It at least makes you think about the importance of maintaining your body temperature and gives some advise on how to do so. Anyway if any one is interested maybe we can put that book out to be traded also.Thanks again

P.S. Sgt. Rock, I started this thread in the hammock forum thinking that it pertained to hammocks, but it may be better off in the book/media forum. Fell free to move it if you wish.

youngblood
2005-04-01, 16:19
Get a copy....good organized list of reasons, benefits etc....lots of ways to save money on home made approaches.... lend it to the ground dwellers you are trying to convert.... get ready to welcome a new convert....supports a leader and the entire hammock movement....Ed Speers has done as much or more for the hammock community as Tom Hennessy.... He does it all from the heart.

PanDitto.

Youngblood

SGT Rock
2005-04-02, 10:37
We can leave it her. As to supporting Ed Speer. Absolutly. I would consider the book a good read for a non-hammock camper I was trying to convert. But if you are already to this point here, you probably know most everything in the book.

icedancer
2005-04-04, 14:47
Rage, I'd like to take a look when you're done. Then I'll pass it on...

Rage in a Cage
2005-04-04, 17:48
Rage, I'd like to take a look when you're done. Then I'll pass it on...
No problem :)

Rage in a Cage
2005-04-30, 17:18
Icedancer, I have finished the book and will send it to you if you like. P.M. or email me and I will send it out. If you have one to trade that would be great, but if you don't I will send it anyway. :)
I also want to thank Climber11 for the trade. He confirmed via email that he hoped that the book could be circulated around to those that were interested in it so any future viewers can thank him for making the book availible. :)
The book is a great read for those thinking about buying a hammock or just starting out. I think the previous replies to this thread pretty much sums up what the book is about.