PDA

View Full Version : Cooking in a Bakepacker

GregH
2005-04-01, 14:51
I have a Bakepacker Ultralight and use it to cook great pancakes, breads, and muffins. I'm going to expand my repertoire this year and branch out beyond breakfast and desserts.

Do you use a Bakepacker?
If so, what are some of your best, and easiest, recipes?
What type of bags do you use in it?
Do you cook over a campfire or stove?

Iceman
2005-04-01, 16:33
I have a Bakepacker Ultralight and use it to cook great pancakes, breads, and muffins. I'm going to expand my repertoire this year and branch out beyond breakfast and desserts.

Do you use a Bakepacker?
If so, what are some of your best, and easiest, recipes?
What type of bags do you use in it?
Do you cook over a campfire or stove?

Had my Bakepacker for years. Easiest for me are those jiffy mix/muffin mixes. We most always add whatever berry is currently ripe and use Reynolds brand Oven Cooking Bags. Have even used plain old ziplock gallon bags...they work... Cook over a fire most of the time, unless soloing, and then no fire, use my homemade esbit stove for am coffee and oatmeal.

If the berries aren't super ripe and sweet we will toss a bit of honey or sugar in the mix to cancel out any tartness from the "early" berries.

Bakepackers are fun for a group but I do not take if soloing.

GregH
2005-04-01, 21:03
I've had difficulty managing the heat when using it over a campfire. I boiled it dry a couple of times. Once, I had a dreaded meltdown when attempting to bake chocolate brownies. Not pretty.

Iceman
2005-04-01, 23:09
Cooking over fire was misleading, I meant over coals, much easier to manage... After fire burns down, pull the coals into a stack of high rocks and boil over the coals....pan on the rock tops, drag more coals in as you need. Sorry about being unclear.

GregH
2005-04-02, 11:19
No, I appreciate your contribution. I had tried it on a grate above coals but couldn't get it hot enough. Your technique using rocks to get the bakepacker closer is a great (and in hindsight, obvious) idea.