PDA

View Full Version : hot new wood stove market?

blackdog
2005-04-02, 08:16
Well, call me an april idiot (or worse), but I think there's a market for another hiking wood stove out there. The trailstove could need a "HHQ alternative". If there has to be a reason, then just because they simply can't keep up with the demand.

Reference:
http://www.trailstove.com/index2.html

SGT Rock
2005-04-02, 10:57
That looks cool. I had a similar idea to make one out of titanium.

GregH
2005-04-02, 11:51
It looks like a scaled-down version of the chimney I bought at Home Depot and use to start the charcoal for the grill.

Sgathak
2005-04-02, 17:09
*IF* I were to carry a woodburner, it would be a Kifaru Parastove (http://www.kifaru.net/stovpara.htm). At just over 2lbs, it isnt as light as some... but its utility to weight ratio is untouchable by other woodburners.

Why?

A parastove will heat your tent! It will warm you to the core! It will dry your soggy clothes! It will cook your dinner! It can even be used in areas were open fires are banned (unlike other wood stoves)

PKH
2005-04-02, 20:09
There's no reason to believe that this would not be extremely efficient. It is essentially a chimney design. Kelly kettles will shoot fire out of the top, so I expect this would as well. I like it.

Cheers,

PKH

Turk
2005-04-02, 20:44
That is impresive ... my hands were very tempted to reach for the credit card.
If I ever find need for a stove ... that will have to be it.
Just having trouble talking myself into it. Its really got me thinking about a little smaller homemade version. I was thinking maybe building a removeable miniature bakepacker into the top of it. If I could do that ... then I would just have to justify a stove.

Does anyone have detailed pictures or a drawing of how a bakepacker is designed and made? I have never used one, but would like to try building a custom one to nest in my mess kit.

To be more specific, I don't quite grasp what they are doing with the honeycomb structure. Is it just a mesh-work of round rod? Or is it a sheet-work honeycomb that sits right to the bottom of the pan?

Lastly, can anyone verify that building a bakepacker into the top of one of these woodburning stoves is a good idea? Any reasons not to?

Lanthar
2005-04-02, 23:51
Aluminum Honeycomb (http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/Framework.asp?ReqTyp=CATALOG&CtlgPgNbr=3363&CtlgEdition=111&fam=aluminum&ppe=18&ppr=1&psm=2&psl=4&)

I can't imagine any reason why you couldn't build a customer bakepacker on one of these stove. actuall, you can make a damn nice wood burning stove like this out of an empty coffee can.

the key is to decide whether you want a batch fed or continously feedable stove. ( I have a batch fed gasifier stove that I'm workin on, still building the wind screen, but when I'm done the thing will weigh next to nothing, unlimited fuel (small twigs) when in areas that it is allowed, and will boil damn close to a quart of water per batch.

and yes chimney stoves are extrememly efficient.

Iceman
2005-04-03, 00:33
Turk, the bakepacker is an alum. honeycomb (flat stock alum.)platform which lies in the pan allowing the boiling water below to basically steam cook whatever you place in a plastic bag. The bakepacker simply holds your meal out of the boiling water, to let the hot steam do the work. They work fine. You could make one, but I will bet the small bakepacker would fit inside the pot you cook in already.