PDA

View Full Version : Container cover and cutting board

OhCanada
2005-04-14, 20:30
I found a silver/foam bag at the dollar store I am cutting up to make an insulated Kool Aid container cosey. The silver is on one side only...do I put it on the inside or outside? I also left the hem on for the open end.

I also saw a thin plastic cutting board so I got a plastic binder at the dollar store too. Flexable but thicker than the kind you can see your hand through.
Have nothing in house to cut but will try it on cheese and apples this weekend to see how cut resistant it is. Thinking of using it more for a clean area to lay food down on to keep it off the dirt/snow. Rounded all corners so the thin plastic doesn't cut into anything.

Anyone else have little things like this that they made? Beside the obvious tarp, pack, stove, stuff.

Lanthar
2005-04-15, 10:41
Which side? From a physics point of view it doesn't matter. From an aesthetics point of view, which ever you think looks the best.

As far as the cutting board goes. I would highly recommend you NOT use just some random piece of plastic, as it's likely not food grade, and any pieces that scrape off are likely to be highly toxic. If you want a light cutting board, go to bed bath & beyond and get one of their ultra-thin plastic cutting boards (cost a couple of bucks) and trim to fit.

GregH
2005-04-15, 16:08
...I would highly recommend you NOT use just some random piece of plastic, as it's likely not food grade, and any pieces that scrape off are likely to be highly toxic.

I'll second that. Slide a knife across that plastic binder and you'll see it cuts easily and there will be little scrapings. The cutting boards won't scrape and flake like that.

SGT Rock
2005-04-15, 16:23
How about getting a piece of 22 guage aluminum at Lowes and cut it to the smallest size you need. You could even drill a hole and put a lanyard on it.

Lanthar
2005-04-15, 17:49
How about getting a piece of 22 guage aluminum at Lowes and cut it to the smallest size you need. You could even drill a hole and put a lanyard on it.

because most knifes are going to scrape pieces of aluminum off as well, and as someone pointed out, Aluminum Oxide, when consumed, leads to brain issues...

SGT Rock
2005-04-15, 17:58
The good thing about brain disease is you never notice it.

Anyway, the link between aluminum and brain damage is spurious.

Mutinousdoug
2005-04-15, 20:13
One lb packages of sliced bacon have a tough little plastic insert in them that should satisfy anyones need for a clean, cut-resistant surface. I carry one in my cooking gear but unless I find some mushrooms along the way, don't do much slicing and dicing on the trail so I don't use it much. :rolleyes: I should get rid of it and pare my pack wt down by some decimal of a gram.
On the other hand it would probably work pretty good on a sucking chest wound if you're doing that "adventure camping" thing. I suppose I should mention that I washed mine in the dishwasher after I ate all the bacon and before I put it in my pack.
Free, lightweight, re-usable, disposable and multi-use. I should go on Sgt Rock's honor roll for that one! :angel:

OhCanada
2005-04-15, 20:29
Thanks for the Toxic replies :biggrin: Yeah, guess I am being too cheap and should go with a proper flexable cutting board. Like Mutinousdoug, I have little use for one but like the idea of using one as a food prep area as I do not carry a plate.

For the container wrap, the silver looks better on the outside and I think it is more durable than the inside clear layer.

Thanks guys!

dixicritter
2005-04-16, 10:16
I found a silver/foam bag at the dollar store I am cutting up to make an insulated Kool Aid container cosey. The silver is on one side only...do I put it on the inside or outside? I also left the hem on for the open end.

I always have put the "silver" parts towards the inside of the cozies I've made. That's the way Rock likes his anyway... ;)

JimM
2005-04-17, 00:23
I've used the plastic cover that comes with a 3 lb. coffee can.
Jim