PDA

View Full Version : Hangin' Around This Weekend

txulrich
2005-04-15, 08:54
My scout troop is going out this weekend and the overnight temp is spotta be in the mid 50's. I just bought a JRB Weathershield (kudos to the JRB guys for rushing it to me :biggrin: ) to hang underneath. But, I'm not sure that alone will be enough. I aquired some 1/2" thick upholstry foam (4'x6') that I'm going to use in-between (similar to the HH pad) and trim to fit. I'll report on Monday and let y'all know how it goes.

SGT Rock
2005-04-15, 10:19
Sounds good. I think that may work well. Let us know how it goes.

txulrich
2005-04-15, 10:45
Sounds good. I think that may work well. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm normally a pretty warm sleeper. I usually don't wear much clothing. I have a 20 degree synthetic bag that I'm going to use as a quilt, but I could lay on top of it if I need to. I also have a reflector pad that I can place under the hammock and a pair of micro-fleece pants and sweater as well. With all of that, I think I'll be ok. Probably even too warm.

BTW, the 1/2" pad cost me $3. :elefant: I would prefer to hang it all in my backyard and pre trim it, but I haven't yet found a way to get 36 hours in a day. :biggrin:

JohnG
2005-04-15, 11:57
but I haven't yet found a way to get 36 hours in a day. :biggrin:

Easy: change your hours so that they are each 40 minutes long, not 60, and you'll get 36 in the day! LOL :biggrin:

Good luck this weekend, have fun, and let us know how it works.

-john

SGT Rock
2005-04-15, 12:01
You want to figure out a way to integrate the JRB suspension system to get the pad to stay in the correct position.

Hog On Ice
2005-04-15, 14:05
You want to figure out a way to integrate the JRB suspension system to get the pad to stay in the correct position.

duct tape to the rescue

txulrich
2005-04-17, 16:50
Easy: change your hours so that they are each 40 minutes long, not 60, and you'll get 36 in the day! LOL :biggrin:

Good luck this weekend, have fun, and let us know how it works.

-john

I know I would like that, but I'm pretty sure my boss would have a concern!

txulrich
2005-04-17, 17:10
I'll report on Monday and let y'all know how it goes.

Ok. So I got out of work a little early on Friday (shhhhhh. Don't tell my boss :angel:) and was able to take the dog and my hammock down the street to the park. I know that he enjoyed the walk! Anyway, I was able to cut the pad before we left.

We get to Juniper Point on Lake Texoma and it was absolutely a fabulus campground. We were right on the water and it was fairly open with a lot of great views. It probably was in the lower 50's that first night and quite breezy. Every time the wind would blow, all my warm air would go away. :confused: I ended up bringing my reflective pad in the hammock with me. In the morning I figured out the problem. Due to inexperience with the weathershield, I didn't have it cinched up tight enough on the enterance end, so every time I got in, the knot would slide.

The second night was probably in the upper 50's with very little breeze. I started out w/o the reflector, but quickly (about 10 minutes) chilled. I could feel it in my hips first, then it would spread up my back. I tried to put the reflector under the hammock, but on top of the pad. No difference. I then brought the pad in the hammock again. We spent half the day hiking with 35 boys and I was ready to get some sleep.

So, the bottom line is that I'm going to have to break down and spend some money for an underquilt. The good news is that I won't have to do that until fall. Our next outing is in May and it should be a bunch warmer then.

txulrich
2005-04-17, 17:17

I didn't seem to have a problem keeping the pad in place. I just laid the trimmed pad in the JRB and it stayed there. I had more of a problem keeping the drafts from between the hammock and the JRB. It seemed to me that the entrance end didn't seal very well. Even after I fixed the cinch issue that I had. I could lay in the hammock and see the seams on the sides and head end, so I felt that I had a good seal there. However, due to a lack of body weight on the foot end, it didn't seem to seal as well (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!).

SGT Rock
2005-04-17, 17:36
Is that foam open cell foam?

txulrich
2005-04-17, 22:07
Is that foam open cell foam?

Yes it is. That's what the hennessey super shelter is using. BTW, I trimmed it within an inch or two from the top of the JRB.

SGT Rock
2005-04-17, 22:15
But the Hennessy system uses foam with a layer of mylar on one side and sil nylon on the other even inside the sil-nylon cover. Maybe you need to make a sheath for your pad by making a mylar cover or something.

peter_pan
2005-04-18, 00:29
Rock,

Believe I saw a post that the production model SS does not have the mylar that was on the prototype at trail days last year...perhaps someone with a HH SS can confirm.

As to the Weather Shield tension...sounds like a little more tension is need on the suspension shock cord on the foot end, slide it away from the hammock to increse tension....note, if it slides on the hammock cord then shorten the shock cord so that it is over the "knot sock" on the HH. It will stay there happily.

Pan

txulrich
2005-04-18, 13:43
As to the Weather Shield tension...sounds like a little more tension is need on the suspension shock cord on the foot end, slide it away from the hammock to increse tension....note, if it slides on the hammock cord then shorten the shock cord so that it is over the "knot sock" on the HH. It will stay there happily.

Pan

I'll give that a try. I finally got it tight enough to stay where I put it, but it never sealed to the hammock very well. If I shorten the cords and tie it off at the knot, it will pull it to the hammock and won't be able to slip.

Thanks

Just Jeff
2005-04-18, 13:51
I also noticed that you have to give the shockcord a good tug right where it connects to the support lines, or it won't create enough friction to hold any tension on the shockcord.

Once I "tightened the hitch", I could put lots of tension on the cords and it would hold.