PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass in the stove?

Scout
2005-04-21, 15:05
Hey Rock--

Received my stove today! Excited to get out and start using it...and also looking forward to some freezer bag cooking!

In the stove there is some fiber glass? Do I leave it in there? Add the alcohol to it and then light it up or what?

Can you explain?

No more than one ounce of alcohol into the stove - i know I will have to experiment as to not use too much - two questions:

1) When done cooking, what do you do if the alcohol hasn't burned out?

2) What if your stove flames out while cooking and you need to add more alcohol? Just dump it in or wait for a while to cool off?

3) Is alcohol evaporation a factor when cooking?

4) #1 recommendation for type of fuel and any place to get it online?

Ok..that was 4 questions.

THanks!

AddyB
2005-04-21, 16:24
1) When done cooking, what do you do if the alcohol hasn't burned out
Don't touch it, let it burn off. There's really no way to save the fuel. If you're looking for an alcohol stove that can be shut off and saved, get a Trangia. They're the most reliable, and hard-wearing of any alcohol stove on the market. Unfortunately, they've heavy. Keep in mind that alcohol stoves are basically 3 season. If you use 'em in the winter to melt snow, your fuel supply will disappear before you know it.

2) What if your stove flames out while cooking and you need to add more alcohol? Shit, whatever you do, LET IT COOL OFF. If you add alcohol to it as soon as it goes out, you're in for a nice fireball.

3) Is alcohol evaporation a factor when cooking? I'm not sure. I'll let Rock answer that one.

4) #1 recommendation for type of fuel? Go to a paint store, and pick up a litre of Methyl hydrate, the kind for paint thinning. NOT SHELLAC. Methyl hydrate puts out the most BTU's of the alcohol families. If you're in a pinch, a bottle of fondue fuel will work, but it'll stain your stove a nasty blue colour and corrode the shit out of it. I've seen it happen to a solid brass Trangia. Not a pretty sight.

Adam

PS: I'll e-mail you soon, I'm in the process of looking for work at the moment.

dougmeredith
2005-04-21, 20:52
What if your stove flames out while cooking and you need to add more alcohol? Shit, whatever you do, LET IT COOL OFF. If you add alcohol to it as soon as it goes out, you're in for a nice fireball.

Is that really a concern? If it were hot enough to ignite the fuel, wouldn't it ignite the fuel that was already in the stove?

Methyl hydrate puts out the most BTU's of the alcohol families.

I am pretty sure that ethanol has more BTUs than methanol (methyl hydrate).

Doug

jimtanker
2005-04-21, 21:18
When my water is good and hot, I dont boil mine just get it hot enough for the food im cooking, if there is more fuel left I put my pot lid on it and then when the stove cools I pour it back into my bottle. If there is just a little, which is most of the time, I let it cook off.

For an alternate fuel real accesible, go to a car parts store and get a yellow bottle of HEET. Good stuff.

Lanthar
2005-04-22, 10:02
The issue with letting the stove cool off is that there could be small flames still licking up the last bits of alc in the stove that you may or may not see.

also, alchohol evaporation is definitely an issue with using an alc stove. in fact, it's why the alc stove works, if it didn't evaporate, you wouldn't have a flame.

SGT Rock
2005-04-22, 10:26
Just got home for a 4 day weekend from Camp Shelby...

Hey Rock--

Received my stove today! Excited to get out and start using it...and also looking forward to some freezer bag cooking!

In the stove there is some fiber glass? Do I leave it in there? Add the alcohol to it and then light it up or what?

Can you explain?

You don't need the fiberglass, it is something to make the stove light easier. But you can also just leave it in forever. I started adding a very light piece after a few user comments. I don't think it is needed in warmer weather.

Just pour in alcohol based on what you want to do in the amount shown in the instructions. Then light.

No more than one ounce of alcohol into the stove - i know I will have to experiment as to not use too much - two questions:

1) When done cooking, what do you do if the alcohol hasn't burned out?

If you are done and it is still burning, you can blow it out and pour the unused alcohol back into the fuel bottle. This is not as easy if you are using the fiberglass but it can still be done. I usually just let the stove burn out myself.

2) What if your stove flames out while cooking and you need to add more alcohol? Just dump it in or wait for a while to cool off?

If this does happen, then wait a few seconds and check to see if the stove is still putting out heat. The Ion can produce a very low blue flame and may look like it is out but is still burning. It would be a bad thing to add fuel if there is still a low blue flame burning.

3) Is alcohol evaporation a factor when cooking?

It is a factored, and the Ion is built to use this process as effectively as possible and maintain a constant heat. Saying that, it may take it a while to start evaporating properly in cold weather, that is why the fiberglass is there and why I have the triangle primer/sand base so you can pre-heat with about 1cc of alcohol.

4) #1 recommendation for type of fuel and any place to get it online?

I recommend denatured alcohol as #1, fuel line de-icer (ethyl) #2, and Everclear #3. I don't know if you can buy any of these on-line.

Ok..that was 4 questions.

THanks![/QUOTE]
You're welcome.

Scout
2005-04-22, 12:44
that is why the fiberglass is there and why I have the triangle primer/sand base so you can pre-heat with about 1cc of alcohol.

I didn't see the thing about pre-heating. Could you explain a little more...or point me to where you have that info.

THANKS! This stove looks awesome and I can't wait to try it out!

SGT Rock
2005-04-22, 14:56
If I remember right, you got a triangle sand base. To use this, you set the stove and stand on the base - it fits with a little overlap. Fill the stove with about 15cc (2 and a part of a third caps from a soda bottle) and pot about 1cc of fuel in the triangle base. When you lite the stove, lite the alcohol in the base instead of at the stove center and it will warm the alcohol in the stove up quickly and get it to vaporize at the correct rate faster. You may even experience a short burst of extra heat at the beginning of the process.

I apologize that it wasn't in the directions you got with your stove. I have written an updated set of directions that explain that.

Scout
2005-04-22, 16:01
If I remember right, you got a triangle sand base. To use this, you set the stove and stand on the base.

Yep, sure did.

Fill the stove with about 15cc (2 and a part of a third caps from a soda bottle) and pot about 1cc of fuel in the triangle base. When you lite the stove, lite the alcohol in the base instead of at the stove center and it will warm the alcohol in the stove up quickly and get it to vaporize at the correct rate faster. You may even experience a short burst of extra heat at the beginning of the process.

As soon as I get to the store to buy some dentaured alcohol, I will try it out - maybe the first time ever used in Germany?

I apologize that it wasn't in the directions you got with your stove.

Absolutely no worries.

Thanks a ton.

Scout
2005-04-27, 04:48
I recommend denatured alcohol as #1, fuel line de-icer (ethyl) #2, and Everclear #3.
My wife found Zip-Strip Denatured Alcohol at the PX. It was about $3 for 32 oz. It is manufactured by Star Bronze Co - www.starbronze.com and here is the material safety data sheet (MSDS) for it http://www.starbronze.com/pdfs/763.pdf

Physical/Chemical Properties
Weight: 6.79 lbs / gal
Flashpoint: 52F

Ingredient Composition Information
Ethyl Alcohol 42%
Ethyl Acetate 3%
Methyl Alcohol 51%
Heptane 1-3%

I haven't had a chance to fire it up yet, but any experience with this stuff?

Does this stuff eat away at the plastic bottles you store it in for the hike?

SGT Rock
2005-04-27, 18:01
I've used a lot of it. A fairly good mix and it should not be a problem unless you drink it ;)