PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bags and hammocks

KeyMeKoe
2005-04-30, 17:10
What special techniques do you use for getting into your sleeping bag while in a Hennessy hammock? When tent camping I always put my 3/4 length thermarest pad in my sleeping bag for added insulation. Any suggestions on how to get into a bag with a thermarest pad in it? Thanks for the comments.

Rage in a Cage
2005-04-30, 17:52
I normally use my bag as a quilt and simply drape it over me. If the temps are extreme then I will use the bag in the normal manner. I position myself in a standing position with my upper body inside the hammock and pull the bag up around my shoulders and head. Then I sit down and lean back into the hammock in the normal manner drawing my legs inside.
I have tried to enter the bag after getting into the hammock but found it to be impossible for me to do. I could get the bag pulled up to just below my shoulders but could not get it past my shoulders. I know that I spent at least 10 minutes trying to get into the stupid thing and even worked up a sweat in the process. I finally had to admit defeat and get out of the hammock and enter using the above method.
I have a couple of thermarests but have never had much luck using them in a Hennessy. I tried putting the thermarest in the hammock and then getting in my bag and laying on top of the thermarest. The problem was the thermarest is a little narrow and I kept slipping off of it during the night. I started using a wider closed cell foam pad and found it worked better for me. The pad was a little wider and wrapped around me just enough to form a sort of pocket that I was able to stay in as I slept.
I have not tried putting the thermarest into my bag and then laying down. It may be possible to do but it seems that it would be somewhat of a challenge. If I did try it I would get the pad and bag positioned around and behind me before sitting down and laying back in the hammock. This just might work if you are determined to use your thermarest.
Putting the thermarest in the bag may be the answer for the problems I had with slipping off the pad during the night. Perhaps I will have the time to try this out later this week.

GregH
2005-05-04, 14:24
Rage,
Are you standing inside your bag where the bag (with your feet inside) is on the ground and your torso is inside the hammock?

-Or-

Is the bag inside the hammock, you pull it up around your head and shoulders, sit inside the hammock, pull your legs into the hammock and then place them inside the bag?

(I execute the latter maneuver.)

Greg

Rage in a Cage
2005-05-04, 23:37
Greg, I use the first method you mentioned. I can do it this way without unzipping the bag. Because of my back problems I have limited mobility so this seems to work the best for me at the present.
I thought the thermarest might work using this method because the zipped up bag would hold it in place while sitting down and pulling the legs inside. This may also keep the pad in place during the night. I have not had the time to try it out.

Just Jeff
2005-05-05, 17:05
I use a quilt now, but when I used a bag I'd throw it over me like a quilt, put my feet in the foot area and zip it up as high as I could, then grab the zipper on one side by my waist and shoulders and roll over into it. Takes some of the struggle out, but it still takes some wriggling to get the zipper situated where you want it...at least you're in the bag, though.

c.coyle
2005-06-06, 08:39
Big Agnes makes bags with no insulation on the bottom. Instead, there is a sleeve into which you slide an inflated "Air Core" pad.

Click Here (http://www.bigagnes.com/str_bag_home.php)

For me, this simultaneously solves cold butt and slipping off the pad problems. Makes it easier to get in the bag once in the hammock. It's also simple and easy to set up.

35 degrees and up:

HH Ultralite Backpacker Asym 31oz 170.00
Big Agnes Horse Thief 35 deg bag 24oz 179.00
Big Agnes 35 deg Air Core Pad 22 oz 50.00

77oz (4 lb 13 oz), $399

Just Jeff
2005-06-06, 09:52
Big Agnes makes bags with no insulation on the bottom. Instead, there is a sleeve into which you slide an inflated "Air Core" pad.

Is the BA wide enough to sleep on your side with your knees pulled up...almost in a fetal position?

c.coyle
2005-06-06, 17:41
Is the BA wide enough to sleep on your side with your knees pulled up...almost in a fetal position?

I don't have any problem, and I'm big in the shoulders and hips. Their semi-rectangular bags, like the Cross Mountain, are huge. You can find hip and shoulder girth specs for all their bags on their web page.