PDA

View Full Version : Another New Hammock Camper

packtiger
2005-05-03, 18:52
Hello everyone. Great site. I appreciate the information you've provided here. I'm new to hammock camping. I got my new HH Explorer a few weeks ago. I had the opportunity to use it a couple of times during our last "cold snap" (around 40 degrees). I also tested it this past weekend during a heavy rain and thunderstorm. It performed well. I'm glad I ordered the oversized "hex" fly. Now that my initial "field trials" are completed I hope to hit the trail with it soon. Here's a question for you veteran HH users on the AT. Have you had any problems with the standard 42" tree huggers not being long enough? Would you recommend getting a set of longer ones?

peter_pan
2005-05-03, 20:32
Welcome !

42 inchers worked fine for me on the southern half of the AT.

Pan

SGT Rock
2005-05-03, 21:41
LOL, use smaller trees.

dougmeredith
2005-05-03, 21:56
Have you had any problems with the standard 42" tree huggers not being long enough? Would you recommend getting a set of longer ones?

On larger trees, I have had good success wraping the straps once around the tree, rather than twice.

Doug

GregH
2005-05-03, 23:11
On larger trees, I have had good success wraping the straps once around the tree, rather than twice.

Doug

Ditto. I've used it on fairly large pines in the Quetico (Ontario, Canada) only wrapping once around the tree.

peter_pan
2005-05-04, 09:21
Careful.....

Bigger straps....longer rope....stronger rope.....extra jacket....mitten covers( incase)....thicker mattress....deserts....

This is how packs got heavy and why bomber gear weighs extra...."but if you don't take it you won't have it...."

Don't start...!!!.... learn to adapt....find Rock's smaller trees...stay light. :)

Pan

youngblood
2005-05-04, 10:20
The 42" straps are keeping you in the 1 foot diameter tree range if you don't want to mark the tree. I've camped with folks that used those straps on a tad larger tree and strategically places small stick(s) between the rope and the tree to keep the small diameter rope from making direct contact with the tree. I would think that would be something to try if you found out the straps were just a little too short when you were setting up your hammock and you don't have better options.

Pan is right, having longer ropes and straps are a pain in the arse unless you really need them... they get in the way and make everything more difficult to do when you don't need them.

Youngblood

packtiger
2005-05-04, 10:24
Thanks guys. You just saved me $19.95 and a couple ounces in pack weight. Rock, hope I don't have to pass up that "perfect" site looking for smaller trees.

SGT Rock
2005-05-04, 12:16
There is always a way.