PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for a hike in October...

Scout
2005-05-12, 04:25
Hey all -

I am looking for a hike in early to mid October...that I can do with my wife. She has never been on the trail overnight and I would like to introduce her to hiking with something scenic, relatively easy and most of importantly - enjoyable.

We will be in Michigan (on leave) but can travel anywhere in order to hike.

Looking for a 2 - 3 day hike.

I was thinking Arizona or some place that would be warm in October and not require a large amount of cold gear.

Any thoughts?

cldphoto
2005-05-17, 04:40
There are a lot of possibilities in Arizona. What kind of hike did you have in mind? Desert? Mountains? Side canyon with cactus overhead and lush greenery creekside?

One of my favorite hikes has always been Aravaipa Canyon, about 45 minutes outside of downtown Tucson. You will need advanced reservations. In October, I can't guarantee that the leaves in the canyon will have turned yet, but they might be close. The weather will still be great, though. Hit my website and go to the "Arizona Canyons" page for photos of Aravaipa, if you're interested.

Wish I was in Germany now. The wife is in Wiesbaden, and I get to see clients here in sunny Kuwait. Better than sunny Iraq, I know, but all things considered I'd rather be in the Rhein valley...

Scout
2005-05-17, 08:24
What kind of hike did you have in mind? Desert? Mountains? Side canyon with cactus overhead and lush greenery creekside?
It all sounds awesome. canyons with cactus or the mountains sounds cool!

Hit my website and go to the "Arizona Canyons" page for photos of Aravaipa, if you're interested.
Awesome pictures! Thanks for the suggestions.

The wife is in Wiesbaden, and I get to see clients here in sunny Kuwait. Better than sunny Iraq, I know, but all things considered I'd rather be in the Rhein valley...
We are moving to Wiesbaden this week! We will be moved in there on Friday - May 20th.

What do you do in Wiesbaden?

cldphoto
2005-05-21, 10:18
It all sounds awesome. canyons with cactus or the mountains sounds cool!

Awesome pictures! Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks. Aravaipa is a really good hike. Not a long one, but then it could easily be extended by exploring all of the side canyons. I absolutely love it.

We are moving to Wiesbaden this week! We will be moved in there on Friday - May 20th.

What do you do in Wiesbaden?

I'm a JAG attorney; I worked out of the Trial Defense Service office there, defending clients at courts-martial, advising on Article 15s and chapter actions, and whatnot. Doing the same thing over here in Kuwait; not sure what I have on tap when I get back to Wiesbaden in January. Hopefully something with shorter hours; I've pulled a lot of 16+ hour days over here. My wife Kelly is still in Wiesbaden; she's currently wrapping up her job with MWR marketing and is about to start with the PAO office.

Let me know if you have any questions about Wiesbaden; you can drop me an email on my AOL or my AKO. I wouldn't be surprised if you move onto our street, or even into our stairwell...

cldphoto
2005-05-21, 10:28
I wouldn't be surprised if you move onto our street, or even into our stairwell...
Just checked out your website; you're in our same housing area, but it looks like you're right by the commissary parking lot; we're over by the ACS building. It's so strange to see everything so green in your pictures; when I left in January, everything was brown and cold, and now the rapeseed in the fields across the B455 is in bloom! I'll have to make Kelly take pictures out our back window.

Rosaleen
2005-05-22, 08:55
Scout-

Hiking in early October? Put up with a bit of chill and come to New England for the fall foliage if you want pretty scenery! Consider staying at Bascomb Lodge (hostel) on top of Mt. Greylock or in a drive up campground and dayhiking some of the circuit trails to cut down on the strenuous mountain hiking. If you have a base camp or hostel, the possibility of a cold snap will be less of a problem.

Rosaleen

GregH
2005-05-22, 13:56
Scout-

Hiking in early October? Put up with a bit of chill and come to New England for the fall foliage if you want pretty scenery! Consider staying at Bascomb Lodge (hostel) on top of Mt. Greylock or in a drive up campground and dayhiking some of the circuit trails to cut down on the strenuous mountain hiking. If you have a base camp or hostel, the possibility of a cold snap will be less of a problem.

Rosaleen

You would also be able to slowly introduce her to using the "facilities" out in the woods.

Greg

Scout
2005-05-22, 17:30
Sounds like a great idea as well.

I would like to hike with a purpose - so hiking to a hostel or just to a camp site is the idea I would like to pursue...