PDA

View Full Version : Hammocks and Dogs

PaulR
2005-05-17, 16:33
Hi all:

Been reading the forums for a while, but finally registered today. Anyway, have a question about hammock camping with dogs - anybody do it?

I know dogs get a bad rap, but I generally camp out when we are bird hunting, so the dog is a must! I am very intrigued by the hammock (hunt in the mountains - few flat spots on the ground. However, I have become addicted to the German Shorthaired Heating Pad keeping me warm under the quilt - not sure if he would fit in a hammock. So, any suggestions or experiences would be welcome.

Thanks,

Paul

txulrich
2005-05-17, 17:00
Hi all:

Been reading the forums for a while, but finally registered today. Anyway, have a question about hammock camping with dogs - anybody do it?

I know dogs get a bad rap, but I generally camp out when we are bird hunting, so the dog is a must! I am very intrigued by the hammock (hunt in the mountains - few flat spots on the ground. However, I have become addicted to the German Shorthaired Heating Pad keeping me warm under the quilt - not sure if he would fit in a hammock. So, any suggestions or experiences would be welcome.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the site.

I wouldn't take the dog in the hammock. You might roll over on top of him in the middle of the night. Perhaps a pad that he could lay on under the hammock (could also serve as a mat for you to stand on getting in and out) would do the trick.

Just Jeff
2005-05-17, 17:28
There's a whole thread on this topic either here or at Whiteblaze.net.

PaulR
2005-05-17, 20:32
Thanks guys - I did a search here before posting and couldn't find anything. Just Jeff - tried the whiteblaze.net forum, but the only thread I could find was wildly unhelpful (basically tie the dog to the tree).

Joe, I think the point about rolling over the dog bears consideration, but he is 40 lbs adn generally sleeps with me in bed anyway. Perhaps it would be more of a concern in the hammock (just ordered a HH explorer asym - we just make the weight rating together). Guess I'll just have to try it for myself.

Thanks,

Paul

Just Jeff
2005-05-17, 21:51
The gist of the thread was that most folks recommended against it even though they hadn't tried it, a few guys said they did it and opinions were varied, and one guy said he did it pretty often with his 40-50 pound dog. Try it and see if you're comfortable!

A top-entry might be easier to get the dog in and out, but the HH seems to open wider and be more roomy, so the dog might feel more comfortable. I often sleep with my 40lbs son in my HH, but haven't ever done it in my homemade Speer.

I'd be VERY careful about the toenails ripping the hammock fabric, though.

PaulR
2005-05-17, 23:07
Thanks Jeff - I think I must have looked at the wrong thread. I didn't see anyone that said they had tried it. Anyway, I'll give it a try (and make sure the toenails are short!)>

Paul