PDA

View Full Version : JRB Nest Underquilt

txulrich
2005-05-17, 16:54
I ordered and recieved my Nest last week and I promptly took it out over the weekend. The scout troop had a canoe trip (just the afternoon) at Beavers Bend State Park in OK.

I attached the quilt and immediately noticed the same gap on the top of the entrance end that I had in the weather shield from the previous campout. I pulled some of the shock cord up throught the cinch to shorten the cord length and tied it off with an overhand knot. This seems to have fixed that problem.

The canoe trip was great. We were on the Mountain Fork River and we put in at a state park just below a small dam. There were all kinds of really kewl rock formations to navigate. :captain: I think about half the troop (45 kids, 29 adults) ended up in the water! I was about a 1/2 inch from it myself.

After having gotten up at 4AM, canoeing all afternoon and a double helping of lasagna and cobbler, :angel: come 9PM, I was pretty whipped. The temp was forecast to be in the mid 50s that night. So, I put on a polypro long sleeve top and was gonna put on the bottoms as well, but got in the hammock and crashed. Now the past 2 trips, I woke up several times in the middle of the night, and usually for a bathroom trip at least once. This time I was almost hot. I did however, sleep solid until about 2AM as my bottom was a little chilled. I felt about the very bottom of the entrance slit and the Nest had pulled away from the hammock velcro. I fixed that relatively easily, pulled my sleeping bag (used as a quilt) back up and didn't wake up until about 6AM.

I've got to say that it was the absolute best nights sleep on a camping trip ever. If you're thinking about a hammock or trying to get your insulation right, you've got to get one of these. Forget the pads inside the hammock. The down underquilt is the only way to go and the JRB Nest is very well thought out and very well made. :adore: I highly recommend them.

Just Jeff
2005-05-17, 17:34
To get rid of the gap at the ends, make sure the drawstrings aren't too tight. If you cinch it all the way down, it forms a "bubble"...loosen up a bit and it'll reach up higher on the sides and the bottom will sit tighter against the hammock.

To keep the quilt from slipping down during the night, give a few firm tugs on the shockcord hitch at the hammock lines. When that knot is tight, you can still change its position but it won't slip under the little bit of tension from the quilt's weight.

The last few trips I had a problem with the down shifting in the underquilt...I just shook the down to the edges and let it naturally fall back to the bottom and it worked ok. My hammock is a different shape than the HH, though...might not be such an issue with the Hennessey.

txulrich
2005-05-17, 18:35
To get rid of the gap at the ends, make sure the drawstrings aren't too tight. If you cinch it all the way down, it forms a "bubble"...loosen up a bit and it'll reach up higher on the sides and the bottom will sit tighter against the hammock.

The problem was that there was too much cord for the suspension system to pull the top edges of the Nest to the hammock. That caused a bubble. Loosening the drawstrings made the gap bigger. Shortening the suspension lines and locating the cinch knot on the rope just above the hammock knot, pulled the outside edges of the nest higher on the hammock and allowed it to seal very nicely. If I get a chance, I'll hang it down in the park and take some pictures to post later.

Billc
2005-05-17, 21:59
Hi Joe,

Your use of the JRB Nest Underquilt interest me. Where did you purchase yours?

Billc

txulrich
2005-05-18, 09:31
Hi Joe,

Your use of the JRB Nest Underquilt interest me. Where did you purchase yours?

Billc

You can only get them at the JRB website. I've talked to the guys on the phone and they're very helpful. Here is a link. http://216.83.168.206/index_files/Products%20List_files/Under%20Quilt.htm

I initially balked at the price. $200 is a lot of spare change out of my pocket, but the thing really works and is well worth the money. The best compliment I can give is that I wished that I had bought mine a lot earlier.