PDA

View Full Version : Boots shouldn't be expected to last 300 miles?

Little Frog
2005-05-19, 15:53
In the thread linked below over on the whiteblaze.net forums, an email from a customer service rep from one of the top boot manufacturers states the following:

"300 miles is a great deal to put on boots, I am not sure of
any pair on the market that will take that much of a beating
on a trail especially the AT."

I'd be interested in hearing other hiker's opinions regarding expected longevity of their boots. What brand do you wear and how long do you expect them to last? If the soles fell off after 300 miles, would you just shrug and buy new boots or would you expect the manufacturer to replace them?

Link to discussion is here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8909

Sgt.Krohn
2005-05-19, 16:15
these are definitely "Old School"
double sewn welts, Vibram soles, serious one piece leather, over $200 when I bought them, heavy..
But made to last and made to be rebuilt when they need it.
These have many more miles than 300...

Vasque
http://tinypic.com/59vr52.jpg

txulrich
2005-05-19, 16:56
[QUOTE=Sgt.Krohn]these are definitely "Old School"
double sewn welts, Vibram soles, serious one piece leather, over $200 when I bought them, heavy..
But made to last and made to be rebuilt when they need it.
These have many more miles than 300...

QUOTE]

I especially like the color coordinated laces :biggrin:

txulrich
2005-05-19, 16:58
I also have a pair of Vasques (lighter weight than those above) and would be greatly dissapointed if they didn't last a whole bunch more than 300 miles.

Little Frog
2005-05-19, 18:35
[QUOTE=Sgt.Krohn]these are definitely "Old School"
double sewn welts, Vibram soles, serious one piece leather, over $200 when I bought them,

Nice!

Sadly, here is what mine look like after only 300 miles: :damnmate:

http://www.littlefrog.150m.com/asoloboot5.jpg
http://www.littlefrog.150m.com/asoloboot6.jpg

Sgt.Krohn
2005-05-19, 18:46
LittleFrog

that's the problem with the Asian made "molded" sole boots/shoes.
Once the glue fails they come apart.
they're like a $300 point&shoot camera. It's not economical for the manufacturer to repair them. It costs too much to maintain a service department. It's more cost effective to replace them considering they have less than $10 (probably less) in the product...

My Vasques may weigh 2.8# a piece but they won't come apart. And when they reach the point they need a little tender loving care there are still a number of specialty shops out there to give them a good overhaul.

..somethin to think about...

what started this nonsense was Ray Jardin running down the AT with a -20# pack and running shoes :adore:

heavy boots are good for your legs :elefant:

Little Frog
2005-05-19, 19:30
LittleFrog

that's the problem with the Asian made "molded" sole boots/shoes.
Once the glue fails they come apart.
they're like a $300 point&shoot camera. It's not economical for the manufacturer to repair them. It costs too much to maintain a service department. It's more cost effective to replace them...

Yeah...except in my case the manufacturer flat-out refuses to replace the boots.

Sgt.Krohn
2005-05-19, 19:38
Yeah...except in my case the manufacturer flat-out refuses to replace the boots.
BUMMER !!..

SGT Rock
2005-05-19, 20:17
Just spread the word. That sort of service sucks.

Sgt.Krohn
2005-05-19, 23:25
any grunts notice what was in the tongue of the left boot ?? remember ??

http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL433/1045515/1957272/58500847.jpg

http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL433/1045515/1957272/27009659.jpg

The Gimlets are in Mosul at the moment...

Mutinousdoug
2005-05-20, 00:25
Took me about a half-hour to find it. In my dresser :confused: .

RUEGG DOUGLAS K
US 52921xxx (No, actually this one has my SSN)
O POS
NEO-A MER

Rt boot, Lft Boot? don't remember the protocol. I had a set of cordura Vasques that lasted me 10+ years packing and hunting (88-98) the Colorado Rockys. Never blew out the soles; finally, the top by my little toe burst and I bought some tenny-hikers for my new light-weight packing style! They'll last 3-4 years at my rate, and I'll replace them at $39.00. I hope.

Good luck and good hunting to your Gimlets

5/7th Cav (1st Cav) is reconstituted and deployed in Balad, North of Bagdad on the Tigris River.

GarryOwen,

Doug

KLeth
2005-05-20, 04:17
Most of my boots have lasted quite a lot some not.
Most of the issued ones I've walked in, only had the soles glued on and not sewn didn't last very long. Thus I had a pair of issued leather (handcrafted Danish) boots with glued on soles, lasted around 8 years and >3700km :biggrin:

Since that time I've only bought boots with sewn on soles (except my Ecco combat boots) like the Meindl Perfect (http://www.meindl.de/english/modelle/schuh_detail2.asp?ID=64) :love: .
The soles that are only glued on seems to break loose in the sides and after some time the front of the sole is ripped loose. If sewn they don't seem to break up in the side.

I always love to break in my feet in a pair of new boots :fisheye:

Nomad
2005-05-23, 03:37
I think Backpacker magazine stated you should get about 1500mi out of a good boot. But I'm sure I threw that issue away. Ask the Trailtalk board there

Isn't the AT about 2200mi. If so that would make sense. They always say to ship an extra broke in pair. Of course thats all for a quality all leather boot.

I would back door them and act as a new cust somewhere and ask how many miles that model should be expected to perform. Maybe come in from another angle

If 3yrs have pased I know you will have a hard time tho. I've done all this. 3 times. Not Asolo. Was Lowa and Soloman with me. And under a year. Not the same. They handled it with a replace and then a discount. Prorated.

Next trip the kid at the cashier neglected to ring my new pair up. $200 FREE! I love Karma.

I would take the discount and continue to bad mouth them. Just me tho.

*shrug* I won't buy any Asolo after seeing that.

Scout
2005-05-23, 18:30
I have used my Merrell M2's since 1998. I have put about 250 trail miles on them and have worn them casually - extensively. The glued on crap certainly came apart...

inside at the heel, they have burst through the fabric to the plastic shell in the back.

I have glued the soles with Shoe Goo and that helped but now there is an air bubble in there that makes a squeak on each step. :fisheye:

They have been comfortable but need replacing.

Looking for some suggestions.

Redleg
2005-05-23, 21:25
I use cheap jungle boots with a "superfeet" hiking insole. 1pr. nylon socks under, and 1 pr. light duty marino wool socks over. In cold weather the boots go up 1 size and a pr. of "sealskins" go on top.
link:
http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4c.tam?xax=19137&pagenumber%2Eptx=1&M5COPY%2Ectx=8436&M5%2Ectx=8436&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Boots%20%2D%20Military%20Issue&level3%2Ectx=results%2Etam&backto=%2Fagcatalog%2Fresults%2Etam
or here and look for your ownstuff:
http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/index.tam
I have 4 pr and I rotate and care for them.
they generally last me 2 to 3 years of hard use. The footbeds get replaced every year.
jaf

SGT Rock
2005-05-24, 00:18
Get some trail runners or hike in running shoes. Your feet will love you - but keep your weight down.

Sgt.Krohn
2005-05-24, 02:12
Get some trail runners or hike in running shoes. Your feet will love you - but keep your weight down.
you must have been "REALLY" affected when Jardin ran up the AT in running shoes :cool: :adore:

SGT Rock
2005-05-24, 08:47
RJ doesn't impress me too much anymore, but he does a good job on some stuff,

Nomad
2005-05-24, 13:57
There's only one place in my town (pop65,000) that resoles boots. But most footwear isn't designed for that. Go figure

I'm seeing the new surge to this set-up. With pack weights at 30lbs or less a trail runner makes alot of sense. I'll be trying it this summer possibly. Or ar elast an ultra light boot. Waterproofness will influence...

If not for the deep mud around here (made worse by horses) and offtrail manuvers I would be experimenting with sandals already.

What's the saying? A pound on the foot is the equivelant of 6lbs on the back?

Icemanat95
2005-06-01, 12:18
[color=#0000ff]What's the saying? A pound on the foot is the equivelant of 6lbs on the back?

That quote has grown dramatically over the years. It is more like 3 pounds.

Nomad
2005-06-08, 00:59
That quote has grown dramatically over the years. It is more like 3 pounds.

Lol, I can believe it. The grapevine effect? Duly noted. Thanx. :biggrin:

dropkick
2005-06-29, 03:25
This isn't helpful in any way toward choosing hiking boots, but I thought I would share the story of my Redwings:

My mom bought them for me in 1977 as I needed some work and outdoor activity boots (I had never even heard of hiking boots at this time). They cost $90.00 which was a lot of money for boots in '77.
I wore them every day for 3 years. I waterproofed them weekly during the winters with cooking oil (something I've been told now is a big no-no). I waded into creeks during the summer while fishing and soaked them, more times than I could count. I have hiked and just plain walked thousands of miles in them.
I never had any repairs done to them other than new laces and insoles.
I still have them and still wear them on occasion.
I have worn out many other boots with a 10th of the use and abuse these took.
They still look like they might be a year old.
They are the best built boots I have ever owned.

However, my feet are now wimps, and want soft shoes for hiking - I use 2 pair of canvas converse hightop allstars (they store flat, don't weigh much, give ankle support, and switching daily keeps my feet from aching).