PDA

View Full Version : Tarp/Rainfly Poll

txulrich
2005-05-23, 16:41
I was wondering what does everybody uses for their rainfly.

Stock Hennessey rainfly
Optional fly from Hennessey
JRB 8'x8' Silnylon
MacCat Tarp (please specify size)
Campmor 8'x10' Silnylon
Integral Designs 8'x10' Silnylon
Other (please describe it)

youngblood
2005-05-23, 17:41
Other: 8'x10.5' full catenary for 3 season and 10.5'x10.5' full catenary for 1 season (SE winter).

Youngblood

txulrich
2005-05-23, 17:52
Other: 8'x10.5' full catenary for 3 season and 10.5'x10.5' full catenary for 1 season (SE winter).

Youngblood

Just curious, what's the material and weight?

Just Jeff
2005-05-23, 18:50
I'm happy with my JRB 8x8, but I'll probably start experimenting with making my own sometime soon...

SGT Rock
2005-05-24, 00:17
Stock HH rainfly. I have tried others and occasionally I take out my MacCat when I hike with my sons.

dougmeredith
2005-05-24, 09:35
Stock HH rainfly.

youngblood
2005-05-24, 11:27
Just curious, what's the material and weight?
I'll have to take them to the PO when I get home from visiting relatives. Previously I have weighted them on balance beam scales that aren't accurate to ounces (doctor scales). I liberally seam seal mine as I don't mind scraficing a couple of ounces to cover up my poor sewing skills, reduce the chances of mildew and I feel it also adds strength to the needle perferations when you brush on a thin layer of diluted silnylon to both sides of the tarp at the perferations. I also weighed mine with all cordage, stakes, stake bag and stuff sack... exactly what goes in my pack. Here's what I'm remembering for now, about 20 oz for the 8'x10.5' tarp and about 30 oz for the 10.5x10.5 tarp. That's with 6 and 12 stakes, respectively that weight 0.5 oz each. My tarps use more stakes and cordage than the smallish tarps and if you don't weigh all these things with it you won't get a fair comparison of the weight tradeoffs (it makes a difference if you use twice the cordage and three times the number of stakes).

I use factory 2nds of silicone impregnated 1.1 oz rip stop nylon for my tarps that weighs somewhere around 1.3 to 1.4 oz/yd^2. The 8'x10.5' one is a little easier to break down. It uses right at 10 yd^2 of silnylon, the reinforcing patchs for the tieouts are made from discarded material from the catenary ridgeline cut so it doesn't add weight, 8 tieouts from 4" strips of 3/4" grosgrain (very light stuff), 85' of 1/16" pulseline cordage (pulseline cordage is 1.8 oz/100'), six 1/2 oz stakes, a stake stuff sack that probably weighs an ounce and it's own stuff sack that also probably weighs an ounce. There is also a few feet of shockcord that I use to help tension the tarp. My point with all this is that an 8'x10.5' full catenary tarp might be a 14ish oz tarp to some folks, but it is a 20ish oz tarp to me because that's what it is going to weigh in my pack.

When you start comparing weights you need to be careful how you do it... just as you need to be careful about what you pay for it (are guyline, stuff sack(s) and stakes included) and what you get for it (is the coverage what you want it to be).

GregH
2005-05-24, 12:20
Stock HH rainfly for the Explorer Asym Ultralight. I switched out the guylines with Kelty Triptease.
"The better to see you, my dear!"
-The Big Bad Wolf from Little Red Riding Hood

PKH
2005-05-24, 19:48
ID 8 x 10 silnylon

PKH

Rage in a Cage
2005-05-25, 00:16
Stock rainfly (Backpacker asym)

Pappyhighlife
2005-05-25, 17:05
Just bought a Kelty "Noah" 50.00 12x12 nearly two pounds. To replace the HH stock fly. Which during high wind rain storms blows coupious amounts of water into my sleeping quarters without fail.
However the 12x12 is too big. As tested last weekend.
I'am now looking at the Kelty 9x9 will let you know.

titanium_hiker
2005-06-02, 18:18
homemade deal. Hex tarp. no idea on size- pretty big but light. its waterproof- but its not silnyl. (couldn't find it)

titanium

packtiger
2005-06-03, 12:08
12' x 10' "hex" fly from Hennessey. Provides plenty of protection from blowing rain.

Sgt.Krohn
2005-06-03, 13:10
I've had my Hennessy quite awhile (5+ years?? maybe more)- before Tom enlarged the fly !!!
This is how I modified my fly so my Hennessy would swing free like a normal hammock. And the over-sized storm fly I made for weather days.

http://tinypic.com/5minah

Pappyhighlife
2005-06-03, 14:30
Yea Sarge, that looks great. I was trying to get the same coverage with the Kelty Noah 12x12. Your way is much lighter.
I'am going to the Uwharrie (NC) tomorrow. I want to try the Kelty again, if I can get the spacing right, it gives me a large porch area and completely covers the HH. The extra area gives me room to cook and keeps me the gear and the HH dry. They are calling for thunder wind, and rain. Should be a neat weekend.
Because the Noah is just under 2 pounds, I would elect your Tarp for longer hikes. What is your weight and brand?

Sgt.Krohn
2005-06-03, 18:01
Because the Noah is just under 2 pounds, I would elect your Tarp for longer hikes. What is your weight and brand?
It's paint dept - HomeDepot :biggrin:
this link has more pictures of my setup
http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1200

Billc
2005-06-04, 01:18
I'm using the standard Hennessey Hammock fly that came with my new Backpacker ultralite. I hung it up last week between to trees 30 feet from my house. Since 6/1 my rain gage has indicated .80 inches Tuesday, 3.0 inches Wednesday and .75 inches Thursday. These amounts were for 24 hour periods of time. Tuesdays rain was light and periodic. Wednesdays was periodic and very heavy at times. Thursdays rain was light to moderate in intensity. There was some wind with the heavy rain on Wednesday, but not enough to cause a problem. The hammock screen as well as the black wrapping around the end of the hammock was completely dry each time I checked it. I checked it two or more times each day for mosture. Also there was no condensation on the mesh (insect screen) when these observations were made. As a side note, prior to the rain I tied a small strip of cotton strand taken from a mop and placed it about .25 inch above the protective black wrap at both ends of the hammock material.

I must say that I was supprised that no rain or condensation was present on the hammock material! The hammock fly was tied seperately above the hammock. The small hooks on the hammock tie cords were attached to the fly cord, securing the rain fly maybe .25 inch above the hammocks tie cords.

I feel this was a good test of the rain fly's ability to deflect the rain away from the mesh and hammock material. I am of the opinion that even a blowing rain would be deflected, provided the rain fly is positioned very close or next to the hammock tie cord when it is in use.

Billc

Pappyhighlife
2005-06-14, 13:52
Hey Bill,
Good stuff, but you might want to try it again with weight in the HH.
The only time I got wet from the stock tarp was when I was in the HH. While away during the day the rain never went inside.
If you get a chance to do it, let us know.
Pappy

Seeker
2005-06-17, 14:58
I was wondering what does everybody uses for their rainfly.

Stock Hennessey rainfly
Optional fly from Hennessey
JRB 8'x8' Silnylon
MacCat Tarp (please specify size)
Campmor 8'x10' Silnylon
Integral Designs 8'x10' Silnylon
Other (please describe it)

I use the stock HH fly, but if I know it's going to be nasty and not just a little rainy, i'll replace it with a homemade 8 x 10 silnylon fly. set up for tarp camping with 6 guylines and some mini-biners, it weighs about 16 oz, but is probably closer to 13-14 oz with just the two tie out cords (triptease) and two biners.

GregH
2005-06-17, 21:48
I've used the HH Explorer 2.5 for 5 years on canoe trips into the Quetico (go north of Minnesota and you're there). I've sheltered through some pretty serious thunderstorms without getting wet inside the hammock. You do need to pull the fly down tight on the windward side but it really can work, and work well.

Verlager
2005-07-29, 02:59
This is the best tarp I've ever used, and I've used the extended length HH tarp, the HH double wide prototype, the Clarke Jungle Hammock stock tarp (a beautiful device if you like waking up soaking wet after a rainfall).

I have never had more than a 1/4 teaspoon of water in ANY hammock I've used with a JRB 8'x8' Silnylon tarp.

RushingCoyote
2005-07-30, 21:02
I bought a Jungle Fly from Tom Claytor for $35 for my HH Expedition Asym.

Will test it in the Pecos Wilderness starting on August 5. Will take pictures and let you know how it works. It is about 13' long and weighs 15.7oz.

armitage
2005-08-07, 22:36
HH original!
I sometimes carry a military rain poncho too in case I need more shelter.