PDA

View Full Version : It's here my Hennessy Hammock has arrived

The HotDog
2005-06-15, 01:37
I got the expedition model and probably going camping this weekend.
I am wondering what's your set-up is like or if it is just stock or what :biggrin:.

Oh, yeah I am ready to join the brother hood of Hammock Hangers :adore:

Hog On Ice
2005-06-15, 08:51
depending on how hot it is at night you may or may not want some extra insulation on the bottom side - this time of the year I use one of the wally world blue foam closed cell pads unless it is very warm at night - I just put the pad in the hammock and then sleep on the pad. For sleeping bag - I usually use a quilt but the same effect can be arrived at by using a sleeping bag and only zip it up to about knee level then just spread it over you. I use a stuff sack and some clothing for a pillow - you may or may not want to use a pillow.

The HotDog
2005-06-15, 22:33
Well I was able to set it up today. I had the ropes pretty tight and when I sat down In it,it sunk from about 2-2 1/2 Ft. to almost totally flat on the ground.
tighten the ropes some this time it came to a spot about a 8inch circle was flat on the ground. note the ropes were about 5ft. off the ground. now rise a end of the rope to about 5.6ft off the ground (the other rope could not go any higher)
and tighten the ropes finally it was off the ground :elefant: 5min. later bumping the ground. also I could only lay about 5* off center and it felt a bit cramped. :confused: is this normal stretch for a hammock and will it open up a bit more if I rig stakes to the hammock. trees were about 13-15ft apart

txulrich
2005-06-16, 00:42
Well I was able to set it up today. I had the ropes pretty tight and when I sat down In it,it sunk from about 2-2 1/2 Ft. to almost totally flat on the ground.
tighten the ropes some this time it came to a spot about a 8inch circle was flat on the ground. note the ropes were about 5ft. off the ground. now rise a end of the rope to about 5.6ft off the ground (the other rope could not go any higher)
and tighten the ropes finally it was off the ground :elefant: 5min. later bumping the ground. also I could only lay about 5* off center and it felt a bit cramped. :confused: is this normal stretch for a hammock and will it open up a bit more if I rig stakes to the hammock. trees were about 13-15ft apart

You will get some stretch in the hammock. I have found that I got more stretch from the way I tied the knots. When I used the knot as shown on the stuff sack, I got a lot of stretch. Now I tie a taut line hitch tight against the webbing and there's hardly any stretch at all. I never use the Taut Line for adjustment as it would slip. As an added benefit, it's a whole bunch easier to tie/untie.

BTW, where in TX do you live?

sand crab
2005-06-16, 11:56
1. I had the ropes pretty tight ......the ropes were about 5ft. off the ground....rise a end of the rope to about 5.6ft off the ground (the other rope could not go any higher).....5min. later bumping the ground.....trees were about 13-15ft apart
2. will it open up a bit more if I rig stakes to the hammock.

HotDog, your description makes me wonder about the size/type trees you were using. Five feet off the ground at a distance of 13-15 feet seems about right for the hammock. If you couldn't raise one of the ropes higher, was it because the tree was too small? Maybe the trees are bending, causing you to sag? You might try it again using different trees or posts. Also, 'pretty tight' is very subjective. I really put a lot of strain into tightening my ropes, probably more than necessary (sometimes I'm afraid that I will break them like I have done over tightening bolts!). And yes, staking out the sides of the hammock will make it easier to lay on the diagonal, and prevent the hammock from closing in on you. Good luck with your experiments and have a great trip.

The HotDog
2005-06-16, 16:07
Txulrich, I live a ways south of Dallas and I'll try using a taut-line instead. Come to think of it I believe the HH knot did slip a little bit.

Sand Crab, the trees where pecan trees about 2 1/2 - 4 1/2 inch's thick.
The reason I couldn’t raise the other side was it branched off in to about three different branches this was the thicker of the two. The other Tree was a little smaller and I believe that one did sag about 1-2 inches. The ropes could have been tighter after the sagging but before I was barely able to tie the HH knot.
I rig some stakes and hope that works out better.

Thanks for the Info
The Hotdog

Seeker
2005-06-16, 18:46
Txulrich, I live a ways south of Dallas and I'll try using a taut-line instead. Come to think of it I believe the HH knot did slip a little bit.

Sand Crab, the trees where pecan trees about 2 1/2 - 4 1/2 inch's thick.
The reason I couldn’t raise the other side was it branched off in to about three different branches this was the thicker of the two. The other Tree was a little smaller and I believe that one did sag about 1-2 inches. The ropes could have been tighter after the sagging but before I was barely able to tie the HH knot.
I rig some stakes and hope that works out better.

Thanks for the Info
The Hotdog
I have a backpacker asym. i'm 5-10, about 175-180 lbs. i tie everything at about chin level, with what i guess is 15' between trees. i sag to about 18" off the ground as my knots tighten. after sitting in it once, i retie one end (the other end is then very tight). this also corrects my usually-wrong first attempt at levelling myself.

i also use two aluminum carabiners for tying in. they're NOT the cheapo ones used for key rings, so don't do that. i tried one with my daughters hammock, and broke it just sitting in the hammock. mine were about $3 apiece, and the open end of the gate has a pin through it to reinforce the closure when it's shut. i bought them at a local home center chain called Stine, but they don't carry them anymore. they were in a bin up at the cash register. i use a pink one (they didn't have red, so leave me alone) for the head end, and a blue for the foot (or 'shoe' end... so it's red head, blue shoe). this color coding only saves about 30 seconds of flail time while setting it up, but makes it a lot easier to tie off the knots. you could also put a small shot of white spray paint at the head end of the line.

i use a 24'' wide blue foam pad i got from somewhere, and find it sufficiently curves up around my shoulders to sleep comfortably. i too use my bag as a quilt, only climbing inside when it's really "cold" (here in LA that means in the 50s-60s.) i have a 35degree down bag that weighs about 21 oz, but during the summers here in LA, i can also use an army poncho liner that weights about 19 oz if i'm feeling gram-conscious...

i've never had a problem with flipping out of a hammock. if you stake the side elastics down securely, you shouldn't have any trouble.

I also made a few mods to my backpacker asym with the help of skilled local seamstress. (i made my own snakeskins and guyline-pockets, described later, but i'm a pretty crappy tailor). I like having my water bottle and a book inside with me, so i got her to sew a 9 x 12 pocket next to my right shoulder, as you lay on your back, right up against the mosquito netting. it opens to the head of the hammock, not the netting side (so yeah, it's sideways). water bottle and a paperback fit fine with no real weight added. the other mod is to the fly. in the two outside corners, where you tie the line to stake out, i added two small triangular pockets to the underside. they're about 3" across at the wide part, and there's a small square of velcro on the fly and the top seam of the pocket. coil your line up there, squeeze the velcro through the middle of the coil, and you'll never get tangled lines again. oh, and replace that thin stuff with something thicker if you can, and it's even easier... i use kelty triptease lightline, which reflects in the dark. the snakeskins were easy. two pieces of silnylon about 9'' wide and 6' long. hem all around, then sew the two long edges together with about a 1/8th inch overlap. tubes are about 3" across when flattened... i put them on with wire ties. the hem keeps them from coming out at the far end. i also took a pair of mini-biners and clipped them to the line inside the hammock, up in the corners where the loops are. i mostly use the one at the foot end, to clip my shoes to, so they don't slide down over me at night.

while i'm at it, if you need silnylon, check the sale rack at walmart weekly. i've heard they don't carry it at all up north, but locally, it comes in about 2x a year... one bolt of 48" silnylon remnant. only comes in green, but at $1 a yard, you can buy enough to make a hammock, fly, skins, other stuff bags, etc, pretty cheaply. the clerks, bless 'em, have no idea what you're talking about when you ask, but you can find it. my local seamstress will whip me out a perfectly good $20 stuff sack for about $5...

GregH
2005-06-16, 22:30
Yeah, I tried the "Hennessy Hitch" and sagged way too low. The taut-line hitch is what I'd used for the last 5 years and it works much better.
For pockets inside I bought a nylon netting bag with a plastic hanging clip from REI. I can put water, a book, etc. into them and have them hanging from the centerline.

The HotDog
2005-06-17, 12:53
I want to say thanks for the very helpful Information.
I will try a lot of the tips you folks have given me this weekend and I'm sure that it will greatly improve my hammock experience.
I am thinking about making my own snake skins from some ripstop nylon I found at wally world last night.

btw, how can you tell if its Silnylon, coated or uncoated nylon. I am sure it's ripstop cause it has the grid.

Thanks again,
The HotDog

Seeker
2005-06-17, 13:39
I want to say thanks for the very helpful Information.
I will try a lot of the tips you folks have given me this weekend and I'm sure that it will greatly improve my hammock experience.
I am thinking about making my own snake skins from some ripstop nylon I found at wally world last night.

btw, how can you tell if its Silnylon, coated or uncoated nylon. I am sure it's ripstop cause it has the grid.

Thanks again,
The HotDog

Hmm. Good question. I don't really know. I just know what I get from walmart is waterproof, slick as anything, and feels an awful lot like the tarp over my hammock. it's sort of shiny too... and thinner than anything else on the rack. my wife couldn't believe it would actually hold up to any sort of use.

The HotDog
2005-06-17, 18:33
I did some digging on this site and I found a post from Brain about how he finds out if his nylon is silnylon, coated or uncoated.

What kind of waterproofing does the nylon have? Silicone inpregnated nylon(silnylon) usually costs around $6 a yard, where as polyurethane coated nylon usually runs around $5 a yard. If you cant identify between the two, first put a little water on the fabric if u can. If it beads up, then its coated. Then feel for the thickness of the fabric. If it feels VERY thin, kind of like paper thickness, and has little lines of fabric running about every 1\5 of an inch, then it is probably silnylon. If there is a definate coated side and uncoated side, then it is PU coated nylon. Other people should have more knowledge than i do.