PDA

View Full Version : Portable Showers

KeyMeKoe
2005-06-21, 00:48
Has anyone tried a solar shower or a sun shower. Any opinions? I am thinking of buying one. Which one is better? Why?

Seeker
2005-06-21, 15:27
Has anyone tried a solar shower or a sun shower. Any opinions? I am thinking of buying one. Which one is better? Why?

Used one in Somalia years ago. Worked pretty well when we had the water to spare. Laid it out in the sun all day, and it was pretty nice to shower under. only problem was where the hose connected to the body, it leaked after repeated folding/unfolding. a bit of duct tape fixed it good enough. don't remember the name brand. buddy of mine had what he called an Australian Shower, which was just a canvas bag, open on top, with a plastic shower head attached underneath. a strap sewn across the top was fine for hanging it... you then twisted the head to open it and got about a 2.5 gal shower (3 minutes?) seem to remember we got two showers out of a 5 gal can of water. his was heavier than mine to carry, but then it didn't ever leak! up to you what brand, but i'd say get one with a thicker bag and sturdy hose... hope that helps.

jimtanker
2005-06-21, 16:34
We still use that same Australian shower in the field. Put the strap on top around the end of our gun tube and elevate till it is the right hight, put down a poncho to stand on, and youre good to go. Nice when you havent taken a shower in a week. Dont think I would take one hiking though.

blackdog
2005-06-21, 18:38
One commercial design out there on the net is the Basic Designs Solo SunShower (http://www.stearnsinc.com/NC_ProductsList.aspx?selection=1&CategoryID=4779594) and it's probably light enough to function as an inspirational starting point for the DIYers here. I haven't tried it myself, but there's not much difference among the showers of this type.

Most solar powered showers are simply dark plastic bags with a tiny nozzle. It should be quite easy to build one.

What I can't understand is why there isn't a second, insulating, layer around the absorber. Not in one single design. Wrapping a slightly inflated clear plastic bag around it would shorten the heating time without adding much weight. Putting the absorber in a solar funnel (http://solarcooking.org/windshield-cooker.htm) would collect the heat even faster.

Things will improve soon, I'm pretty sure of that.

Seeker
2005-06-22, 02:37
We still use that same Australian shower in the field. Put the strap on top around the end of our gun tube and elevate till it is the right hight, put down a poncho to stand on, and you're good to go. Nice when you haven't taken a shower in a week. Dont think I would take one hiking though.

me either. one thing i love about loiusiana is the warm water flowing in our streams and rivers all summer... can always take a warm bath then...

when i was in, we had our mechanics rig up these little platforms, about 8" square, with a support on the bottom and 2 x 'J'-shaped channels cut in the near side to insert into the exhaust grill and hook into place. on that, we'd heat a #10 can of water to bathe from... could cook jiffy pop popcorn on the back end too, as i recall... mech life was good. (light infantry sucked, but it was a good place to learn).

aloomens
2005-06-22, 16:50

MSR makes a shower attachement for their Dromedary bags. I have one of the black Dromedary bags and the shower attachment. I don't have any fears of it leaking.

http://www.msrcorp.com/hydration/

JAK
2005-07-12, 12:23
We still use that same Australian shower in the field. Put the strap on top around the end of our gun tube and elevate till it is the right hight, put down a poncho to stand on, and youre good to go. Nice when you havent taken a shower in a week. Dont think I would take one hiking though.Yes I imagine the gun tube would get a little heavy on a hike. :damnmate:

dropkick
2005-07-12, 19:06
We still use that same Australian shower in the field. Put the strap on top around the end of our gun tube and elevate till it is the right hight, put down a poncho to stand on, and youre good to go. Nice when you havent taken a shower in a week. Dont think I would take one hiking though.

Yes I imagine the gun tube would get a little heavy on a hike. :damnmate:

C'mon - I've always felt that bringing an Abrams along was a much better deterrent to the bears than pepper spray
:heeeellll