PDA

View Full Version : Uintas/search and rescue

Altro
2005-06-22, 22:03
Hi all.
I just returned from Utah and the succesful search for the lost boy Brennan Hawkins. I'm sure many of you have seen something about him in the news the past few days, I understand the media coverage was pretty good. His mother's family are long time friends of ours, and it was a wonderful ending to a story that could easily have turned out much differently.

I wanted to post here about the man that headed up the volunteer rescue operation, Kevin Bardsley. His son Garrett was lost in the Uintas last year and has never been found. Kevin has since involved himself with SAR operations in that area and was there almost constantly for this one. His daughter even postponed her wedding and helped search with him last weekend. I never talked to him personally, though he did address many of us volunteers as a group. I learned of his hard work through Brennan's family.

The reason I am telling you all of this is that he really needs financing for his organization. He does have a trailer that he uses as a command center, but it doesn't have much of the equipment necessary to conduct operations like the one I just saw. Communication and information systems are something that they could really benefit from. If any of you donate to outdoor or volunteer organizations, please consider donating to this one.

I understand that Kevin will also be mounting a search in early August in an effort to recover his missing son. Any of you that might enjoy a few days in the high country and would like to volunteer to help would be greatly appreciated I'm sure.

Their website is: www.findgarrett.org (http://www.findgarrett.org)

They have not asked for donations or help. I just saw what a great effort these people were putting out for my friends' family and I know that they need the same help for their son and others.

If this thread is inappropriate I apologize and ask that it be deleted.

Thank you all
Jeff

Just Jeff
2005-06-22, 22:59
After a quick search of the the website I didn't find exact dates for the August trip. Do you have better details? Depending on my schedule I might be interested.

Altro
2005-06-23, 01:34
That website is kinda dated I guess, I didn't look that closely at it.

I've got messages to friends for better contact info and dates of the search. They are still up in Utah and probably won't get back to me for a few days at least. I will post again when I hear from them.

Thanks for the spotlight Rock.

SGT Rock
2005-06-23, 09:41
No, this won't get deleted, I think it is a very worthy cause.

Seeker
2005-06-23, 13:57
sgt rock,

just to molify my curiousity... i just moved here to polk three years ago, from knoxville... did you get stationed there at McGee Tyson or a NG center, or are you lucky enough to have retired there? in any case, if you need info on good hikes in the smokies, i've got a couple favorites... used to take me 45 minutes to get to the trailhead near townsend, and about an hour and a half to get to newfound gap/at junction... you're about 20-25 minutes closer... god, i miss it... ain't no mountains here, but i kin still talk local-like...

Altro
2005-07-11, 01:23
After a quick search of the the website I didn't find exact dates for the August trip. Do you have better details? Depending on my schedule I might be interested.

I just talked to my friend about the search this August. He is still not sure of the exact dates. I am headed to PA for the next couple of weeks on vacation and won't have easy access to the internet. I think it's safe to say that I won't hear of anything until it's actually happening.

Thanks for offering to go help, sorry I wasn't able to get you more info.

SGT Rock
2005-07-11, 12:44
sgt rock,

just to molify my curiousity... i just moved here to polk three years ago, from knoxville... did you get stationed there at McGee Tyson or a NG center, or are you lucky enough to have retired there? in any case, if you need info on good hikes in the smokies, i've got a couple favorites... used to take me 45 minutes to get to the trailhead near townsend, and about an hour and a half to get to newfound gap/at junction... you're about 20-25 minutes closer... god, i miss it... ain't no mountains here, but i kin still talk local-like...

Don't know how I didn't see this before, most likely it was while I was TDY or something. Anyway....

I'm still on active duty and "Assigned" to Ft Knox to 4th BDE 85th Division with remote duty at Knoxville with the 2nd Bn 409th Cav TSBn. I've bought the house I plan to retire to in Maryville, but actually I am out in Blount county closer to Walland than I am to Maryville. It takes me about 15 minutes to get to the "Y" and about 30 minutes to get into Cades Cove. It also takes me about 30 minutes to get to Abrams Creek Campground using the back roads from my house as well. But it still takes me about 1-1/2 hours to get to Newfound Gap usually because of tourist traffic in the park from the Y or Gatlinburg. And it doesn't take a lot of traffic, just that one tourist in a SUV or a motor home going 15-20 mph up the highway, and you always find one of those.

petrovich
2005-07-13, 15:50
The dates are Aug 4-6 2005 Heres the link to the news story.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600148158,00.html