PDA

View Full Version : Cold Bottom

KeyMeKoe
2005-06-26, 18:29
How do people prevent cold bottom in a Hennessy Hammock? What strategies are you using?

dougmeredith
2005-06-26, 20:23
Most people use either a pad or an underquilt. You may want to check the archives both here and at whiteblaze.net. There has been a LOT of discussion on this.

Doug

txulrich
2005-06-26, 20:52
How do people prevent cold bottom in a Hennessy Hammock? What strategies are you using?

I started out trying a pad, but didn't like getting damp from perspiration and trying to stay on top of it. I've since switched to a Jacks-R-Better Nest underquilt. I still intend to get a down quilt for the top, but I'm still using my bag fot the time being.

Just Jeff
2005-06-27, 02:11

Lots of ideas with pics at http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockCamping.html

KeyMeKoe
2006-01-14, 13:22
What is the problem with just using a warmer sleeping bag, say a 20 degree or even 0 degree bag, rather than an underquilt, to keep your bottom warm?

incognito
2006-01-14, 13:56
KMK, you solved your problem, good job.

That is what I would do.

Just Jeff
2006-01-14, 16:06
You compress the insulation that you're laying on so it doesn't provide much warmth, especially for the weight you have to carry to compensate. I once slept in a -20F bag at a windy 35F and froze.

KeyMeKoe
2006-01-21, 11:19
Jeff:
Any further thoughts on the Kickass quilt? I have an HH Asym.
KMK

Just Jeff
2006-01-21, 12:16
I have a page up to track my testing - http://www.tothewoods.net/GearTestKAQ.html

That about sums it up. So far it looks like a great piece of gear. Fits well and does what it's supposed to do. I'm impressed with the design, but I haven't tested the low temp yet. Patrick has made a few changes to address some of the issues on that page, so don't let those put you off, either...the side attachments, for example, and I'm not sure if he's removed the carabiner on the ridgeline yet but he talked about it.

Anyway, I'd happily recommend it to anyone looking for a synthetic underquilt.

fieldcraftsman
2006-02-11, 09:29
Howdy all, I'm new to the great forum and to hammock camping. I've got me a Hennessy Expedition A-Sym.

My question is this: has anyone used Themarest Ridge Rests successfully with their hammocks?

I love the Ridge Rest b/c it's so light -- albeit it is bit bulky. I've really too much of a clutz to make my own quilts and the life.

millergear
2006-02-11, 10:42
I use Big Agnes bags (a Zirkel & a Yampa) made with no insulation on the bottom. They use a sleeve on the bottom to contain a sleeping pad or mat. With the pad in the sleeve there is no way to slide off it! And it's flexible; depending on expected temps I use a combo of full length 1/2", 3'8" or 1/4" pad with a 40" x 3/4" or 3/8" shorty.

I use the shorty as a "barrel" stiffener in my GVP-4 pack and tie the rolled up full length pad to the outside. The 20" width fits the inside barrel well and the roll doesn't protrude far from the sides.

The 2 1'2" thick air mats I have for ground sleeping do work in the hammock but are heavier than the pads and are so stiff I can't sit up.

"Omnia mea mecum porto. - I carry with me all my things" (Slowly! :turtle: )

Seeker
2006-02-11, 14:21
two blue foam pads and a full length thermarest got me to about freezing one night... but my topside bag is only rated to 35, so i was starting to get a little cool... the problem with pads is keeping them under you... you have to figure something out, or learn to lie very still... shelf liner or under-throw rug stuff works ok, a bead of silicone caulking works ok, and tying string/cord/twine around them works ok... underquilt is far simpler (once you get the 'hang' of it) and less bulky, but more expensive.

fieldcraftsman
2006-02-11, 15:48
Thanks -- sounds like an underquilt is far preferable then. That's a lot of pads otherwise! As I say, I'm a bit too much of clutz to make one myself, so I'm likely at buying one. That Kickass one looks like a good buy.

two blue foam pads and a full length thermarest got me to about freezing one night... but my topside bag is only rated to 35, so i was starting to get a little cool... the problem with pads is keeping them under you... you have to figure something out, or learn to lie very still... shelf liner or under-throw rug stuff works ok, a bead of silicone caulking works ok, and tying string/cord/twine around them works ok... underquilt is far simpler (once you get the 'hang' of it) and less bulky, but more expensive.

weekender
2006-02-12, 13:41
just to put my two pennies worth in, had similer thoughts on keeping warm and following some of the advice found on this great forum im currently in the process of converting an old sleeping bag into a potomac type underquilt and then try it out with a down bag inside with no pad and maybe try it with a pad and see what thats like. i think, from what i gather from others the trick is to find a combination that works for you then add or decrees for the different temps that you find yourself camping in, im no ultrasuperdupermicrolightweight camper i just want to be warm with whats managable and easy to carry and dosent take up too much room in my sack.ho hum time to take of the rose tinted specs :biggrin:

weekender
2006-02-12, 13:43
By the way welcome fieldcraftsman there are some great people on here,enjoy..

fieldcraftsman
2006-02-13, 03:11
Hi weekender. Thanks for the welcome to th site! Sounds about right. I too am not really an ultra/giga-lighter and will take a bit of extra weight for comfort, though I do like a small a pack size as possible, which, in principle is one of things I think that I'd like about hammocks.

With respect to your underquilt conversion -- keep me posted. I'd be interested to hear how it works out! Although I am a clutz, I have no shortage of old sleeping bag, so if one can be converted without a huuugge effort, then that would be good. On the other hand, can just save the pennies and see if the Potomac guy delivers to the UK! :biggrin:

just to put my two pennies worth in, had similer thoughts on keeping warm and following some of the advice found on this great forum im currently in the process of converting an old sleeping bag into a potomac type underquilt and then try it out with a down bag inside with no pad and maybe try it with a pad and see what thats like. i think, from what i gather from others the trick is to find a combination that works for you then add or decrees for the different temps that you find yourself camping in, im no ultrasuperdupermicrolightweight camper i just want to be warm with whats managable and easy to carry and dosent take up too much room in my sack.ho hum time to take of the rose tinted specs :biggrin:

weekender
2006-02-13, 12:35
Have bought some things including my HH explorer and have found that its not a problem getting the item delivered its the shipping costs thats the killer, thats why im having a go at making what i can also being a clutz as you put it this can sometimes turn projects into long and drawn out affairs and i to usually give up and think about just saving the pennies and buying it. So far on the under quilt i have got as far as triming of the zips and opening out the foot end of the bag then sowing round the edges and have ended up with a flat oblong blanket need to just work out how to attach it to the hammock!!??

peter_pan
2006-02-13, 19:38
Weekender and Fieldcrafter and any other UK types....

JRB has shipped a few under quilts to the UK...freight is reasonable but your import duties can be hefty... the UK has a high duty on all items made with cloth...some kind of protectionist thing left over from the guild days, I presume....

Pan

weekender
2006-02-14, 11:34
Hi Pan
Know what you mean, what saving is gained in exchange rate is then lost in the cost of getting it here, if only hammock camping would gain popularity over here, still, saw the stealth quilt on your site and it looks VERY tempting.

fieldcraftsman
2006-02-14, 18:08
Nice stuff there PP. Tempting indeed. :biggrin: It's true about UK duties though I bought a hat from Miller hats one time, and got slammed with what worked out to around $50 in duties. I think you're right about the guilds. :)

AliBubba
2006-02-14, 21:04
I am also new to the campfire. I have a HH A-Sym UL. I have been thinking about how to winterizing it. My thoughts are to Velcro or attach a part of a space blanket (the green/silver verity), reflector side up to my close-cell pad. This would give me the dead-air needed to reflect back my body heat. I was also thinking of hanging the rest of the space blanket on the ridge line inside the hammock.
I have a +20F sleeping bag and will use this setup in North GA and the AT. What do you think?

Seeker
2006-02-14, 21:48
I am also new to the campfire. I have a HH A-Sym UL. I have been thinking about how to winterizing it. My thoughts are to Velcro or attach a part of a space blanket (the green/silver verity), reflector side up to my close-cell pad. This would give me the dead-air needed to reflect back my body heat. I was also thinking of hanging the rest of the space blanket on the ridge line inside the hammock.
I have a +20F sleeping bag and will use this setup in North GA and the AT. What do you think?

disclaimer--i'm a dumb-ass who pan had to call 3x to help me get my underquilt to work right... all headspace and timing on my part... i'm also a very cold sleeper. that said:

a ccf pad, with wings, works for me down to about 55*F. two will get me to 45, and two with a thermarest got me to about 30* once. my JRB underquilt alone gets me to about 45*, and everyone else to about 40*. like i said, i sleep cold... i'm unclear on the purpose of hanging the blanket over the ridgeline... it's already about 5* warmer inside than out anyway, just due to rising body heat, if you keep the sides battened down (according to my not too accurate or scientific themo-meter...) do you mean to use it as a top reflector as well? if it works for the bottom, it may for the top... try it and see, in your back yard.

Seeker
2006-02-14, 21:50
oh... i almost forget...

"and welcome to the fire".

AliBubba
2006-02-14, 22:02
Thx Seeker.
Yep - I will try it out. Nothing like do, learn, change...

weekender
2006-02-15, 10:45
havent got out in mine as much as i would like but the couple of nights i have had i got on well with the ccf pad tried the thermarest had probs staying on it during the night :frown:

Welcome alibubba

AliBubba
2006-02-15, 22:30
I cut the mini-tarp space blanket and velcroed it on my ccf pad this afternoon. I was thinking that using a space blanket on the ridgeline would act as a wind breaker and upper body reflector. Its 45F in Atlanta this PM. I am going to wait for a cooler night to try it. Will post my findings.. if I live thru it.

Seeker
2006-02-16, 12:04
oh, i get it now... i use either my stock HH tarp, which buttons down really close to the top and keeps the wind out, or the 8 x 10 in an a-frame configuration which also blocks the wind really well if you stay broadside to it... (am waiting for walmart to get some silnylon in so i can make and test an 8 x 8 tarp).

you'll survive... i try to spend every friday night out, rain or clear, warm or cold, testing... good for my back too!

peter_pan
2006-02-16, 17:39
I cut the mini-tarp space blanket and velcroed it on my ccf pad this afternoon. I was thinking that using a space blanket on the ridgeline would act as a wind breaker and upper body reflector. Its 45F in Atlanta this PM. I am going to wait for a cooler night to try it. Will post my findings.. if I live thru it.

There are a lot of creative techniques that will get you to 50-55....This sounds like one of them....

Watch out for moisture on the back with this kind of approach...the non breathable materials generally have problems at the lower limits in disapating moisture which will ultimately wake you for extra latrine breaks and make you feel cool.

Look forward to your after action report.

Pan

Woods Walker
2006-03-15, 21:39
I use the HH cold weather system and then I add a poncho liner (USGI) and my jacket/paints liner under the open cell mat. That has taken me down to about 20's. I don't need a pad inside the hammock. I like the looks of the Jacks R better stuff but got the HH 4 season kit as a gift. I wonder what Down Quilt he makes would work for the Explorer Deluxe.

Explorer Deluxe in softwood.

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/hammock2.jpg (http://www.theimagehosting.com)

With 4 season system.

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/4d08.jpg (http://www.theimagehosting.com)

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/54a3.jpg (http://www.theimagehosting.com)

blink-1
2006-03-16, 00:14
I also use the 4 season kit on my HH. Haven't used my HH in temperatures over 40 deg. The last two trips it got into the 20's. Frozen water bottles in the morning! The 2nd to last trip I only used the stock foam pad w/ my fleece clothes, and I slept cold. The last trip, I brought a 2'x6' peice of carpet pad along as extra insulation. I slept very comfortably. I can probably dump a couple of feet of carpet pad and/or trim it to fit to save some weight.

Seeker
2006-03-16, 12:22
it's amazing how just a little insulation in the right spot makes all the difference when you're operating on the borderline... i carry a small square of blue foam pad to sit on... i've been cold with the jrb underquilt at about 40* (right at its stated limit)... i put the foam pad just under my back, and it was enough to move up into 'comfortable' again...

fortunately, our winter is over... hummingbirds are back, nights are in the 50s again, and i won't have to worry about sleeping cold til december... yeehaa!

(wonder if JRB is coming out with a cooling pack... hmm...)

CanoeCamper
2006-03-31, 12:23
This is what I'm thinking of trying. I already have it put together, but with 2 kids under 2 it's hard to get "permission" to spend the night out.

I have an old down army mummy sack with outer liner. I used aluminum tape to attatch an emergency blanket to the inside of the liner.

My only test was to lay on it for a few minutes on a cool (50F) evening, and I could feel my bodyheat radiating back up at me. Hopefully soon I'll be able to post a better report (with pictures if it works).

Over all cost $50 US. Army Surplus bag I've had since I was a kid, and $7 for 4 emergency blackets from www.SportsmansGuide.com.