PDA

View Full Version : Bivy sacks

dropkick
2005-06-28, 05:12
Anyone else here beside me use a bivy sack?
I built my own last year and have been very happy with it.
- though my dog likes a tent better.

Just Jeff
2005-06-28, 09:42
I've used them for short stints. I was comfortable, and they're quick and easy, but I don't really see the utility over a tarp unless you're above treeline. For about the same weight, you can have a shelter to cook under, get dressed under, etc. That's worth an extra few ounces to me.

Icemanat95
2005-06-28, 12:28
I use a bivy bag as an overbag to protect my down bag when sleeping in snow-shelters and as an emergency shelter in my daypack and hunting pack. I'd hate to try to sleep in it night after night on a long trip as my sole form of shelter. Too claustrophobic.

dropkick
2005-06-28, 17:58
I still use a tarp/poncho for cover for myself (which I always carry - raingear) and my gear but I also use my bivy bag.
I like it because I don't have to worry about a ground cloth to protect my sleeping bag, and if I have rain blowing sideways or the bugs are bad I just cover myself up and go to sleep.
Or if I don't feel like spending much time making camp I can just flop everything down on the ground and be good to go.
I made it so that I can open it up completely and use it just as I would a ground cloth if I want to, or I can pull the screen up to cover just my face and leave my bag uncovered.
Weight wise it might add a small amount, but I'm also cutting out a ground tarp and bug screen from my gear and also a 2nd tarp I used to carry.