PDA

View Full Version : wipes for feet and er... aaa.. other places

dropkick
2005-06-29, 04:03
I like to carry sanitary wipes (baby wipes) as I've found that wiping your feet with them in a dry camp is very refreshing, also they'll work for a sponge bath, and I've found that while they may weigh more than toilet paper, I use less and they take up much less room.

However most of the wipes I find say that you're not supposed to flush them. Which makes me wonder how long they last in the landfill and not want to bury them in the woods. But luckily I'm both a cheapskate and a do-it-yourselfer, so I came up with an improved alternative:
I get paper towels cut them in half, fold them into 3rds, and stack them in a zip lock. I then pour a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of vinegar and water into the bag. I let them soak overnight and in the morning press them flat, and pour out the excess liquid.

They stay moist in the bag, are stronger than the wipes you buy, are biodegradable, kill germs (without creating new stronger resistant strains), and cost pennies.

-The slight vinegar odor you might smell on yourself goes away after a very short period of time.

-I use cider vinegar, but that is a personal choice, white vinegar also works.

Just Jeff
2005-06-29, 04:38
These things were lifesavers in the desert. The junk you can pull out of your ears or there with baby wipes is amazing!

I also use hand sanitizer in those...ah...places. After the initial burn, it takes the stink out and leaves you feeling almost as refreshed as a shower.

I've heard of people wiping down their feet with rubbing alcohol at camp, too.

Nightwalker
2005-06-29, 05:43
However most of the wipes I find say that you're not supposed to flush them. Which makes me wonder how long they last in the landfill and not want to bury them in the woods.
I take a few flushables with me out in the woods. Along with TP, they can help stave off a bad case of monkey butt.

:D

Seeker
2005-06-29, 12:42
nightwalker,

i gotta ask about your avatar... where on earth did you find that pic? it's hysterical...

seeker.

Rudersdorf
2016-07-31, 11:01
These things were lifesavers in the desert. The junk you can pull out of your ears or there with baby wipes is amazing!

I also use hand sanitizer in those...ah...places. After the initial burn, it takes the stink out and leaves you feeling almost as refreshed as a shower.

I've heard of people wiping down their feet with rubbing alcohol at camp, too.

In The Complete Walker, Fletcher advised 91% alcohol instead of the 70% rubbing alcohol for rubbing feet. It helps dry them and makes blister formation less likely. 91% is easily available in drug stores, about the same cost, sometimes it's in the diabetics supplies section, as this is the grade used to wipe skin before injections. It's also a much better disinfectant than 70%.