PDA

View Full Version : My.....My ridgeline broke

The HotDog
2005-06-30, 00:20
Well I go to set up my hennessy expedition hammock tonight on two trees that I had put it up on before so while I was setting it up. I tested the taut line hitch it gave added a half hitch in front of the taut line tested again snap boiiinnngg :confused: check the other knot same as when it was first tied back to the other knot tighten again Test add another half hitch. Hmmm why does the hammock look a bit smaller and narrower? (Go to get in) What the crap where's my ridge line :confused: (find the end of ridge line. :bawling: :bawling: )
(sniff sniff) Now I found out that the line broke just inside the knot that connects to the main line. Can I replace the line myself :questionm If so what's the knot?
:help:

Seeker
2005-06-30, 01:51
something doesn't sound right... the ridgeline isn't a load bearing line, really... the bulk of your weight is held up by the two outside lines... the ridgeline is just there to keep you from pulling the ends so far apart that they don't let you lay flat...

i'm guessing you either had a defect (in which case, if you got it from an authorized dealer/manufacturer, you might be able to get it fixed under warrenty), or you pulled it way too tight between the trees while setting it up, and the line ended up getting pulled even tighter when you first sat in it...

i have no idea how to fix it. first thing i'd do is call the maker and see what they say. after that, if you're on your own, the answer may begin with tying another piece of ridgeline into the main knot, re-covering the knot with that sleev-ish thing that goes over it, and then tying it to the broken end.

youngblood
2005-06-30, 08:41
Even though it doesn't seem like it, the ridgeline is load bearing. The amount of load depends on the angle of the hammock support ropes versus the sag of the hammock, which the ridgeline determines. However, it sounds like you may have put your body weight directly on the ridgeline when you were testing your knots and the ridgeline wasn't designed to handle that amount of load (you are suppose to test the knot/pre-stretch things by setting/laying on the hammock body, not the ridgeline). You can fix it yourself by tieing in the correct length of cord (you want something that doesn't stretch much like polyester, is strong enough and close to the same diameter as the existing ridgeline) into your broken ridgeline. Hennessy's web site specifies the length of the ridgeline for each model, if I was tieing it in I would try a double fisherman's knot (it's on this page: http://www.climbing.ie/knotstop.html ) if the cords were roughly the same diameter.

You could also call Tom or Ann Hennessy and tell him your problem, I have heard nothing but good things about HH owners dealing with Tom or Ann... I suspect they will help you out.

Youngblood

The HotDog
2005-06-30, 11:32
I'm guessing you either had a defect (in which case, if you got it from an authorized dealer/manufacturer, you might be able to get it fixed under warrenty), or you pulled it way too tight between the trees while setting it up, and the line ended up getting pulled even tighter when you first sat in it...

I think that theres a slight chance that it was defected and no I don't think it was that tight, because main line had a little give right before the ridgeline snapped and there was a few missed stitches.

However, it sounds like you may have put your body weight directly on the ridgeline when you were testing your knots and the ridgeline wasn't designed to handle that amount of load (you are suppose to test the knot/pre-stretch things by setting/laying on the hammock body, not the ridgeline).

No I know that much. I was just adding some weight to the main line to see if the knot would slip.....and snap goes the ridgeline.

You can fix it yourself by tieing in the correct length of cord (you want something that doesn't stretch much like polyester, is strong enough and close to the same diameter as the existing ridgeline) into your broken ridgeline. Hennessy's web site specifies the length of the ridgeline for each model, if I was tieing it in I would try a double fisherman's knot

well the fishermans knot won't work because I believe theres a loop that ties in to the main knot. Knot's are one of my strong points so I can Probably figure out the orignal knot. the cord looks pretty much like black trotline cord.
but I think I'll email Tom about it to see what he'll say. btw, which email address is it, the customer service or the info addrerss

youngblood
2005-06-30, 13:12
but I think I'll email Tom about it to see what he'll say. btw, which email address is it, the customer service or the info addrerssI don't know but I suspect both of them are answered by Tom or Ann. Good luck with it... I don't think it is anything too serious, especially since you are knowledgeable with knots.

Youngblood

CanoeBlue
2005-07-01, 14:23
A couple of years ago I leaned my weight on the ridgeline to check the tautness of my set-up. Same thing happened - (snap). The ridge line is very strong but it wasn't designed to accept your weitght - and that probably should be made clear in the hennessey literature but isn't. I called hennessey and they had me send the hammock back and replaced the ridgeline with a much stronger line. It would probably take my weight now but I haven't had the courage to try it.