PDA

View Full Version : Too Tight?

CanoeCamper
2005-07-05, 05:11
Hi all! I just got my first HH, boy am I pleased so far. I haven't had a chance to test in the field yet, and my yard is devoid of trees. I have slung in between two posts of my privacy fence in the corner, though.

My question so far is: Is there such a thing as hanging it too tight? :confused:

Using the method on the bag seemed to stretch a bit. My modification was to use a slipped double half hitch at the head and a trucker's hitch secured with a slipped double half hitch at the foot. This gave me a VERY tight set-up and I was concerned about the ridgeline.

Any ideas??

SGT Rock
2005-07-05, 10:52
I've never had mine too tight, but there is a lot of stress that can be placed on the supports and the hammock system itself. There was a great thing about the forces placed on all that over at the hammock user-group on yahoo - and I got permission to add it to my hammock 101 article.

Just Jeff
2005-07-05, 12:06
If you stretch it too tight while you're hanging it, you can damage the ridgeline. I don't use trucker's hitches any more for that reason...one time I heard a "crackling" like a seam ripping when I pulled it too tight. I stopped before any detectable damage and haven't noticed any problems since.

I think you'll have a hard time damaging the ropes or hammock bottom by stretching it, though.

I think Tom's hitch DOES stretch a bit as the wraps tighten, but the hammock itself will stretch for the first several times you use it. That may be what's causing so much of your stretch. After that, the material and ropes don't pop back to where they were (called stretch memory), so once it's stretched it'll stay that length. Just get in and retighten for the first few times you use it. After that, you won't need to anymore.

CanoeCamper
2005-07-05, 15:38
OK, thanks for that.

Now are there any alternate knots that would be suggested in place of the lashings? Any sliding knots perhaps?

I've seen some people say the tautline slides too easily, has anyone tried a variation called the midshipman's hitch (http://www.folsoms.net/knots/animations/fifgif.cgi?gifname='animid.gif'&title=Midshipman's%20Hitch)?

Basically looking for something easier to tie/untie with some possible adjustment factor built in.

CanoeCamper
2005-07-05, 15:45
There was a great thing about the forces placed on all that over at the hammock user-group on yahoo - and I got permission to add it to my hammock 101 article.

BTW, when I tried looking at the full-size diagram it was incomplete from about the ridgeline down.

dougmeredith
2005-07-05, 16:05
I have found that the lashing works just fine. It took me a while to realize that it doesn't really matter if the hammock is super tight when empty.

Doug

The HotDog
2005-07-05, 19:20
I've found that the taut line does have a little trouble getting tight enough too not slip so I add a two half hitch in front of the taut line with the extra rope and problem solved. :)

I also discovered a pretzel looking knot that will slide but won't slip tho, it might jam up or be so hard to untie that it won't be practical.

CanoeCamper
2005-07-06, 01:00
I've tried some "exploding knots" (http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/writing/explode.htm) for other purposes. Some slide, some lock, but all "explode" with just a tug on the running line. I think maybe I'll try a couple on my HH in my back yard. I'll post those results here in a day or so.

txulrich
2005-07-06, 01:55
OK, thanks for that.

Now are there any alternate knots that would be suggested in place of the lashings? Any sliding knots perhaps?

I've seen some people say the tautline slides too easily, has anyone tried a variation called the midshipman's knot?

Basically looking for something easier to tie/untie with some possible adjustment factor built in.

I use the taut line hitch, not for it's slide capability, but because it's quick and easy to tie and retie. I tie it right against the webbing and add a pull loop to finish it. That way, I can just tug on the pull and it comes apart real easy.

I find the hennessey lash very difficult to retension and tie. There's just too much settling in it and my hammock sags.

CanoeCamper
2005-07-07, 22:40
OK, the Midshipman's Hitch (which is a modified Taut-Line) holds tighter than the Taut-Line, but still slips with my weight in the hammock.
None of the exploding knots worked with a load either (that wouldv'e been too easy I guess). :bawling:

CanoeCamper
2005-07-07, 22:43
I have found that the lashing works just fine. It took me a while to realize that it doesn't really matter if the hammock is super tight when empty.

Doug

I'm 6'7", 250#, if I don't sling it tight enough I could be rubbing the ground.

CanoeCamper
2005-07-07, 22:48
I think after all of the knot tying, I think I'll go with a taut-line @ head end pulled tight against the webbing by a trucker's hitch/double-half @ the foot end. It seems the easiest to tie/untie, and tension. I'll just make sure not to stretch it too much.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

youngblood
2005-07-08, 09:57
I've never had mine too tight, but there is a lot of stress that can be placed on the supports and the hammock system itself. There was a great thing about the forces placed on all that over at the hammock user-group on yahoo - and I got permission to add it to my hammock 101 article.

BTW, when I tried looking at the full-size diagram it was incomplete from about the ridgeline down.
I noticed that also. I think it is because updates made to the original files on the Yahoo hammock user-group after you linked to it made your links obsolete. If you re-link it ought to be okay.

When I used the HH, I came to the same conclusion as Doug. I just hung it a little higher to allow for a little more sag. I recall at least one person reported snapping the ridgeline when they tried to hang an empty hammock super taut. Hanging it higher with less initial tautness is a better option.

One thing to keep in mind if you forego using Hennessy's lashing technique-- you need to be able to easily untie the knot in the morning after it has been loaded with your weight all night long. If you are not careful with your knot selection you may not be able to untie it. Hennessy's lashing techique should work fine if you are doing it right (and nothing has changed with the friction of his ropes); basically you are creating a friction knot that is easy to release no matter how many iterations of the basic lashing that you use, even after it has been subjected to heavy loads... again, being able to untie it in the morning is a 'biggie'.

Youngblood

CanoeCamper
2005-07-10, 00:51
In the field I think I would like to hang it higher, but in my back yard I can only hang it from fence posts that are a max. 6'4". Once I get to take it "out" I should have time for more knot experiments.

I hung it last night in the dark with my previous arangement and slept in it overnight.
Having the knots slipped, or on a bight, really helped. All the knots came apart easily after an all-night load.

Thanks for all the help guys! :)