PDA

View Full Version : Which One?

bird dog
2005-07-07, 00:47
Alright, you guys have convinced me. Im going to buy an HH (use the throw-down credit card the wife doesnt know about) but Im not sure which is best. Im trying to slash my base weight without sacrificing too much. I have it narrowed down to either the Explorer Ultra Light A Sym or the Ultralight A Sym. Im sold on the snakeskins and am still debating on the optional rainfly. I am just under six feet and right at 180#s. I want to get rid of as much weight as possible from my base weight and Im starting with the heaviest first (Currently have a 2 person tent at 3+ #s). I would like to have something large enough to be comfortable with the option of stowing some gear out of the elements and the option of cooking, etc. underneath (Im about to sell myself on the optional fly). Any suggestions from the older and wiser members of the board? Bird Dog

CanoeCamper
2005-07-07, 01:47
It seems the explorer would be more comfortable (read as longer), and allow more gear to be stowed without overloading it. However, it doesn't cut down your pack weight very much.
The Hex fly is a free option with either, and I like the extra protection. However, that puts you back near 3#, but you'll be alot more comfortable in camp!

Rosaleen
2005-07-07, 21:08
Well, Bird Dog-

Of your qualifiers, it seems I am older, at least: One of my sons is older than you are! Going by your size and weight a Hennessy Asym Backpacker (UL) is perfect. Depending on you gear, you may be able to stow most of it inside. I'm using a Gossamer Gear Mariposa pack. Once I hang my food bag, cooking gear and "smellables," I use the nearly empty pack under my legs for insulation/knee pillow. Slipping the stays out of the pack and stowing them in the Snakeskins, I don't have any concerns about poking them through the sides of the hammock. The few items not part of the hung food bag, or sleeping gear/shelter become my pillow or stuffing around my arms and torso for insulation. Before I pared down my gear, I stowed my pack by hanging it from a tree as I learned with Boy Scouts, or placed it into a garbage bag under my hammock.

Good Luck!

Rosaleen

Just Jeff
2005-07-07, 21:29
I'm 5'10" and 185lbs, and I think my Backpacker Asym is a bit small. That's right in the target zone for its design, and it's still comfortable, but I think I would be more comfy in a longer one. YMMV.

expath
2005-07-18, 15:04
I recently went through the same decision. I'm 5'11", 160 lbs and got the Ultralite Backpacker based on the recommended user size limits. I found it to be constrictive...I fit inside OK, but the side of my face pressed against the side of the hammock. This may have been in part due to my overall body positioning/orientation in the hammock, but it didn't seem to get much better with attempts to change my position. I suspect this would probably not be a problem for a lot of people, but I figured it would bother me enough to make me regret buying the Backpacker model. So I returned it to EMS and bought the Explorer Ultralite direct from Hennessy. It is roomier, and doesn't rub against my face. I would say the extra space only feels like about 2-4 inches at the head, but it makes a big difference to me. They are both equally comfortable otherwise, and getting in/out is the same. The Explorer also would allow more inside room for storage. (I think it might even hold my pack without interfering with my personal space, if I can come up with a way to attach the pack to the inside of the foot end of the hammock and have it rest on the bottom of the hammock after the slit is closed.)

One thing I noticed, however, is the weight listed on the storage bag is 2 lbs 14 oz, with a weight limit of 300 lbs. The bag is clearly marked "Explorer Ultralite A-Sym", so it's not the wrong bag. I don't have a scale to check, but if weight is a big concern, I would recommend checking with Hennessy to see what the actual weight is. Their website still shows a weight of 2 lbs 7 oz.

Ed G
2005-07-19, 08:11
look at the Jungle Hammock at mosquitohammock.com.

Big bang for the buck.

GregH
2005-07-19, 16:18
I will echo expath's remarks. I'm 5'10" and 185 lbs and the Explorer feels very roomy. I'd used an Expedition 2.5 for years that was okay but I always longed for a bit more room. The Explorer A-Sym Ultralight fills the bill. (The carrybag was also mis-marked.) I do wonder if I should have opted for the hex-fly, however.

CanoeCamper
2005-07-20, 02:21
...I think it might even hold my pack without interfering with my personal space, if I can come up with a way to attach the pack to the inside of the foot end of the hammock and have it rest on the bottom of the hammock after the slit is closed...

I hung a bag with shoes and stuff in it with a cheap bineer from the loop at the end of the ridgeline. I try to keep it on the left side of the hammock, but the weight of my feet made it migrate toward my feet. I didn't really mind this since it didn't really interfere with my sleeping. I realize this isn't the same as a pack, but I think you could manage this way.
The other thing to do is hang it in the same place, but let it hang through the slit and be outside your hammock. This will not interfere at all with "your" space inside and should stay dry as it is underneath both the hammock and the fly.

Just Jeff
2005-07-20, 21:20
I realize this isn't the same as a pack, but I think you could manage this way.

I've done this with my GoLite Speed and it works fine as long as there's nothing heavy in there (like my food bag).

I usually have a compactor bag as a liner, and at night I just put the pack inside and lay it on the ground under the hammock.

Seeker
2005-07-21, 16:17
i'm 5-10, 185#, and the backpacker asym fits fine. a few more inches of room might be nice, but as i tend to sleep curled up and on my left side, it's never an issue. as several replies have already noted, once the food's in the tree, there's not much left to have to hang inside. i use a golite gust pack, and it usually hangs on a tree outside at the foot end, but i have hung it off the ridgeline through the velcro crack, like wet boots... it also folds up small enough, even with my sundries in it, that it will fit comfortably at the foot end of the hammock.

i also took a piece of silnylon about a foot square and sewed a pocket inside the hammock, just about at my right bicep, laying on my back, for my water bottle and a book. that prevents a little fumbling.

one other thing i've noticed is that if i hang the foot end higher than the head, within reason, i tend not to slide down to the foot end as much, and make more effective use of the room at the head end. (yeah, i know... it's common sense, but i'll also shamefully admit it took months for me to realize what was really happening when i hung it perfectly level. maybe i just have heavy legs!)

Just Jeff
2005-07-21, 16:43
i also took a piece of silnylon about a foot square and sewed a pocket inside the hammock, just about at my right bicep, laying on my back, for my water bottle and a book. that prevents a little fumbling.

That's a great idea. I think the ridgeline pocket is too small to be useful for much of anything. I can barely even fit my hand to the bottom to get my watch out! Maybe I'll sew a pouch into mine, too.

maybe i just have heavy legs!

As a male, your center of gravity is in your chest. In a hammock, the center of gravity tries to slide to the lowest spot, which makes you slide down towards the foot end. Raising the foot end changes the hammock's "lowest spot" to a more comfortable position near your center of gravity.

Took me a little while to figure out to hang my feet higher, too. But it works!

peter_pan
2005-07-21, 20:24
Agree with Jeff on tying the feet end slightly higher....Would also point out that it is very important to center the hammock between the trees...If not centered the rope will stretch at uneven rates due to differing lengths... this will create an unplaned low end, this normally will cause unexpected sliding problems when you thought it was level.....

I prefer the foot end higher by about 1-2 inches when the trees are about 12-14 apart...I believe the sliding issue has as much to do with body geometry as trunk weight...from the feet to the hips is a long narrow triangle....actually, it is even longer to the point of side elbows or shoulders depending on the position of the arms...The head to the shoulders is a short blunt triangle....These two triangles define the area of surface friction with the hammock...The small elevation of the foot end off sets the friction imbalance and one lays level all night...

When the trees are farther apart and /or there is a reason to hang the hammock off center ( such as a small bush or a branch at one end that you do not want to damage) hang the end with the most rope/strap higher to off set the stretch....sounds harder than it is....with practice you will quickly master this and get a level hammock everytime.

Pan

Seeker
2005-07-22, 00:11
thanks for the info... glad i'm not the only one... and now that i understand why, i can work on fixing it... never thought of either the center of gravity being so high up on me, or of making sure i was centered between the trees... i sort of do that naturally, but i never thought about the rope stretching differently... thanks again.

and for jeff,

if you don't sew yourself (i can-mom even taught me to darn socks with that wooden ball on a stick thing, but i don't have a machine or much time, so i pay someone to do it about 5X faster than i could), try to find a military laundry/tailor/seamstress place... there might be one near the DLI out there in monteray... they're used to sewing weird stuff for soldiers, and often do custom work for them... i've got a korean lady here who can do just about anything i can dream up... she did my pouch, made two water bottle pockets for my golite gust, sewed a piece of fleece to my stuff sack for a pillow, made a set of tree hugger straps for me, and once worked for me for about 2 hours while i showed her what i needed done to make a simple hammock for my daughter (sort of a spin off Risk's hammock plan, but with a few of my own twists)... very versatile (sp?), very accomodating, and definately a good person to know... i always give her a couple more $$ than she asks for too, to ensure a welcome return... hope you can find the same. good luck.

Just Jeff
2005-07-22, 01:04
never thought of either the center of gravity being so high up on me

Here's a neat trick for kids. Put a dining room chair (or a classroom chair) against the wall, then stand right up against it. Your legs should be straight with your knees touching the chair, and you should be facing the wall. Lean over until your head touches the wall, then try to stand up without using your hands or pushing off the wall. Generally, girls can do it but boys can't, because our COG is in the chest and theirs is near their hips.

if you don't sew yourself (i can-mom even taught me to darn socks with that wooden ball on a stick thing, but i don't have a machine or much time, so i pay someone to do it about 5X faster than i could), try to find a military laundry/tailor/seamstress place... there might be one near the DLI out there in monteray...

I'm just getting into the sewing thing...got a few DIY projects on my page, even. I can probably handle a pocket, and I just made a down-insulated hammock :) that I haven't been able to test yet :(

I'm actually hoping to go to DLI when I graduate from NPS. I figure if I volunteer to learn Arabic they'll leave me at the beach a while longer before they send me to the big sandbox. :p

Hey Pan...speaking of sewing, how much would you charge if I sent you my quilts for an overstuff?