PDA

View Full Version : How many times you overnighted this month?

dropkick
2005-07-24, 20:23
Wanted to post a poll but can't figure out how to make it work.

I keep planning to hike up in the hills and spend at least one night, but lately things keep cropping up and getting in my way. I haven't been able to go at all this month.
I was wondering how many of you are in the same boat.

GregH
2005-07-24, 20:37
It's around 100 degrees in Texas/Oklahoma so I don't get out much during this time of year. I am, however, leaving soon for 8 days in the Quetico (a bit north of Minnesota). Woo hoo!

dropkick
2005-07-24, 21:01
It's around 100 degrees in Texas/Oklahoma so I don't get out much during this time of year. I am, however, leaving soon for 8 days in the Quetico (a bit north of Minnesota). Woo hoo!

The temperature this month (in Montana) is one of the reasons I want to head for the hills. A little elevation and some trees makes a lot of difference.
I'm sure you'll have a good time in Quetico.
But if it's near Minnesota make sure you bring the bug spray.
Last time I was there the windchill from the flapping of mosquito wings would drop the temperatue 5 degrees every evening. :rolleyes:

Mutinousdoug
2005-07-24, 21:10
I'm with GregH. Only I'm in Colorado. Last 4 days have been above 100 degrees in Denver (a record tied, I think) and even on the mountian tops the temps are only 10-15 degrees cooler. That, and the heat contributes to severe afternoon weather up on those mountian tops. I haven't been out since June.
I think it's the heat that's making me lethargic.
Got to get out soon.

Redleg
2005-07-24, 21:43
Twice this month, but I've had a lot more stuff happening on weekends this year. I usually average 3 a month over the late spring/summer/early fall/
jaf

SGT Rock
2005-07-24, 23:35
This month has sucked for me too. Too many things to do, and the big kicker is I was even on leave most of it.

Rage in a Cage
2005-07-25, 00:20
I am currently undergoing a "self-prescribed" therapy to aid me in my recovery from my accident. I grew tired of sitting on my ass in between all the therapist and doctors visits and started my own therapy. Hike until it hurts and then add a couple more miles. Contrary to what the doctors said I have found that I am in less pain since I began hiking/backpacking again and I have been able to cut my nsaid consumption down to one dose at night.
Anyway, to answer the question, this "therapy" has allowed me to spend 11 nights out so far this month and I will be leaving in two days for another week long stay.
We have not had as much heat here as the mid-west but that is supposed to change tomorrow. We are expecting triple digit temps and high humidity. With this in mind I have planned my trip this week along some of the mountain runs in SNP. It gives me a chance to hike on some uphill grinds as well as taking a dip in the cool streams from time to time. It will be another week of me, the bugs and the bears.:biggrin:

Seeker
2005-07-25, 17:01
i prefer the heat to the cold, but it kicks my daughter's butt, so i don't hike as much in the summer... about every other weekend from march through may, then again from sept through oct. nov through feb are too cold, even here, for me. the canoing around here is ok, and that's the best thing for me to do in the summer. that way you can just jump in and cool off when it's too hot and sticky, and you sleep clean every night. still haven't found time to do any of that this year though. i did get a quick overnighter in while on vacation two weekends ago. just fishing at an adirondack lake with my brother, a very heavyweight camper. sort of reminded me of my childhood.

txulrich
2005-07-25, 19:35
Wanted to post a poll but can't figure out how to make it work.

I keep planning to hike up in the hills and spend at least one night, but lately things keep cropping up and getting in my way. I haven't been able to go at all this month.
I was wondering how many of you are in the same boat.

I also live in TX and it's been pretty warm of late. However, that doesn't really matter. What's kept me homebound is I'm working nights testing a new rail vehicle. It'll prolly be another month before I can even think about going out. :bawling:

dropkick
2005-07-26, 01:28
I also live in TX and it's been pretty warm of late. However, that doesn't really matter. What's kept me homebound is I'm working nights testing a new rail vehicle. It'll prolly be another month before I can even think about going out. :bawling:

Rail vehicle??? :confused:
You working on some sort of magnetically run vehicle?
Train? Funicular?

txulrich
2005-07-26, 19:23
Rail vehicle??? :confused:
You working on some sort of magnetically run vehicle?
Train? Funicular?

I work for Dallas Area Rapid Transit and we have procured 20 additional light rail vehicles. The first is in trial and tune-up testing prior to official qualification testing. I think about another 3 weeks or so and we'll be done. Then the testing on the following 19 is not as extensive and doesn't require my full participation. :elefant:

GregH
2005-07-26, 19:45
Last time I was there the windchill from the flapping of mosquito wings would drop the temperatue 5 degrees every evening. :rolleyes:

Yeah, we can hear them revving up right about dusk. It must be like conditions on an aircraft carrier prior to a big campaign.

I just don a headnet and some DEET and watch for the satellites passing overhead.

Spice1
2005-07-28, 21:22
Just got back ysterday from two nights out. I'm a carless citybound outdoors man (yeah, I know), so it would normally be a bit rough for me to get out. Fortunatly, I work two days a week, and I usually take two off once and again to have a little 11 day mini vacation so I get out about once a month. Yes, I get out of the city on foot and public transit. (Not as easy as a car, but if you wanna argue, lets do it on trail and see who wins.)

Even better, my girlfriend cares for some friends' children, whose mother just gave them a car. (A car in this city is an albatross in my opionion, since parking is impossible) since they see it in the same light, they have told my GF she can hae it whenever she wants. So I took her out for her days off and she's hooked. We're off to Mexico Saturday-Wednesday, then have reservations the next monday-tuesday down by half moon bay. She's never done camping outside of her family's cabin in Utah, and she loves it. She's not a strong hiker yet, but I convinced her that we should spend thursday afternoons running hills here in the city with our packs so she won't fall out on 4 mile (packless) hikes anymore. lol.

Honestly, I'm half tempted to figure out a way to make $100 a month and just never come back to society. lol. Too bad it's 10-30 bucks for campsites here. I miss just being able to head out to the mountains behind my house.

-Spice

PS, Rock, I hear ya, funny thing about leave for me was that I had to spend it taking care of so much stuff that it was almost like a chance to work not wearing BDUs.