PDA

View Full Version : Why??

dropkick
2005-07-27, 06:11
I can't figure it out.
Almost every time I go for a hike or even to walk the dog I end up hauling out trash.
Most of my walking is done on Forest Service land.
Why come to visit if all they want to do is ruin the area?

-Today was a VERY tough area to reach because of the foliage and terrain, so I only had to haul out 3 beer cans.

SGT Rock
2005-07-27, 08:47
I can't figure it out.
Almost every time I go for a hike or even to walk the dog I end up hauling out trash.
Most of my walking is done on Forest Service land.
Why come to visit if all they want to do is ruin the area?

-Today was a VERY tough area to reach because of the foliage and terrain, so I only had to haul out 3 beer cans.

My guess is these folks are self centered. The only thing that they think about is themselves. The think they need the junk food in the woods, then they think that they don't need to carry trash, and they think that someone else is worth less to them and should carry their trash for them. I also think that these kind of people are so used to doing this and letting others clean up for them that they feel it is an entitlement.

CanoeCamper
2005-08-09, 04:08
I have had limited success in "re-educating" people about littering. (At least they don't do it when I'm around anymore.)

Basically I point out how much I enjoy bringing my kids on canoe trips and how UGLY all the junk people throw in rivers is. In a canoe it is very easy to "pack-out what you pack-in". (I think they got the hint.)