PDA

View Full Version : Soldier survives attack; captures, medically treats sniper (Video)

SGT Rock
2005-07-27, 08:51
This is a great story. The insurgents try video taping themselves killing an American soldier and it backfires on them:

Retreived 26 July 2005 from http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-976420.php

July 15, 2005

Soldier survives attack; captures, medically treats sniper (Video)

http://www.armytimes.com/content/editorial/editart/tschiderer071505.JPG
Pfc. Stephen Tschiderer is a native of Mendon, N.Y. —
During a routine patrol in Baghdad June 2, Army Pfc. Stephen Tschiderer, a medic, was shot in the chest by an enemy sniper, hiding in a van just 75 yards away. The incident was filmed by the insurgents.

Tschiderer, with E Troop, 101st “Saber” Cavalry Division, attached to 3rd Battalion, 156th Infantry Regiment, 256th Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, was knocked to the ground from the impact, but he popped right back up, took cover and located the enemy’s position.

After tracking down the now-wounded sniper with a team from B Company, 4th Battalion, 1st Iraqi Army Brigade, Tschiderer secured the terrorist with a pair of handcuffs and gave medical aid to the terrorist who’d tried to kill him just minutes before.

See the video of the attack (mms://wm.gannett.speedera.net/wm.gannett/atpco/071505sniper.wmv). Read the account of the incident from the 256th Brigade Combat Team (http://www.armytimes.com/content/editorial/pdf/at_sniper071505.pdf).

Mutinousdoug
2005-07-27, 11:20
But, "101st Cavalry division" ???

SGT Rock
2005-07-27, 11:39
I know. Even the Army Times reporters are challenged.

JAK
2005-07-27, 13:00
Medics. Must be mentally tough huh. Just like everyone
over there, but extra tough in each their own way also.

How would I find out more about this 101st Calvary?
I take it that it is a regiment and not a division?

SGT Rock
2005-07-27, 13:23
Apparently the 101st Cavalry REGIMENT is a NG Division from NY state. Looks like E Troop was attached to the 3-156th Inf which is also attached as part of the 256th Brigade Combat Team from Louisiana which is attached to the 3rd ID from Georgia.

JAK
2005-07-27, 16:22
I had visions of these gung-ho horses jumping out of airplanes in close formation. A little hard on the horses I should think, but no more unnatural than people doing it. :)

It is confusing sometimes how different terms get used in different branches and sub-branches of the various armed services of the world. Also how the number of people in a particular unit can change drastically depending on the time and place. Like a rifle section, or a tank regiment. It is also interesting how some countries like the U.S.A. and Britain have tank and even helicopter units which carry forward a rich tradition from cavalry units (or dragoons or hussars in U.K.), whereas in other countries like Germany and Russia tank units seem to have started a new tradition all their own. Submarines are another interesting example since they evolved from motor torpedo boats, even though they are bigger than many ships.

Anyhow, nice to hear some good news and a great story.

Seeker
2005-07-27, 17:33
i was in the NYARNG back in 1984-86. 1/101st CAV was the 42nd Division's DIVCAV squadron. i think they still are.

SGT Rock
2005-07-27, 19:54
I had visions of these gung-ho horses jumping out of airplanes in close formation. A little hard on the horses I should think, but no more unnatural than people doing it. :)

It is confusing sometimes how different terms get used in different branches and sub-branches of the various armed services of the world. Also how the number of people in a particular unit can change drastically depending on the time and place. Like a rifle section, or a tank regiment. It is also interesting how some countries like the U.S.A. and Britain have tank and even helicopter units which carry forward a rich tradition from cavalry units (or dragoons or hussars in U.K.), whereas in other countries like Germany and Russia tank units seem to have started a new tradition all their own. Submarines are another interesting example since they evolved from motor torpedo boats, even though they are bigger than many ships.

Anyhow, nice to hear some good news and a great story.

Well the US has a mixture of ways to designate units, some of the terms are sort of descended from our history as a British colony. Back in the day, the Regiment was the same as a British idea of a regiment. My home regiment, the 2d ACR, was originally formed as the 2d Regiment of Dragoons (note that the designation was not 2nd Dragoons, the order forming them said 2d, so traditionalists insist that 2d is used instead of 2nd). Units were sometimes designated based on how they were equipped (Like a British Royal Fusilier is really an infantryman that was equipped with a type of rifle that used a fusil instead of a flintlock, and a US Mounted Riflemen was a cavalryman that was equipped with a hunting rifle). If you go to the Regimental museum, everything is Dragoon this or that. The Dragoon, for those that don't know, was a soldier that rode into battle on a horse but fought dismounted as infantry. Just before the Civil War, the US Congress re-designated all the units to Cavalry and basically equipped them the same. So the 2d Regiment of Dragoons became 2nd Cavalry, the 3rd Regiment of Mounted Riflemen became 3rd Cavalry, etc.:ridinghor

During WWI and WWII a lot of units were created that had no history before that and those units often don't have a lot they can point back to. These sorts of units are often not continued, the US Army tries to keep the colors of the older units during peace time to preserve the linage. BTW, the 2d Dragoons was formed in 1836, and have never been deactivated (although there have been some re-flaggings) which makes them the longest continuously active Regiment in the Army. Note I didn't claim they were the oldest.

Another interesting Dragoon note: Recently, when they take tank units to Iraq and take them from their tanks, they have been calling these units Dragoons. Also, the new re-organized 2CR (the Armored has been taken out) which are the 2d Dragoons will be mostly infantry that ride into combat on the Strykers, so they will by definition still be Dragoons. :cool:

Just Jeff
2005-07-27, 23:04
Hehe...I go to a joint school right now, and I had a few Marines in my class today. I brought up this story..."I saw a video about the Marine from 3ID who got shot..."

"Uh...you sure?"

Yeah, I had a moment. I meant "this MEDIC from 3ID". Marines gave me a hard time for a few minutes...

Rock, you see the rest of the video? I only saw where he ran behind the HMMWV, not where he was actually treating the guy.

Scout
2005-07-28, 16:22
i couldn't believe it when i saw the video. Amazing and a GREAT ending!