PDA

View Full Version : HH Loose rain fly

parsond
2005-07-27, 11:45
Hey,

I'm getting ready to take my HH out for the first time and have been practicing with it's set up.

Once I get the thing set up it looks great...but when I get in the rain fly becomes loose and flaps in the smallest breeze.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Dan

peter_pan
2005-07-27, 15:10
Tarps tied to the trees and then tied down do not sag when you get in the hammock. Tie to the trees.

While we are on the subject, position the tarp for the height when you are in the hammock. Tie high on low threat nights. Tie 6-10 inches below the hammock point of attachment on the trees when you want security. Once you get in the hammock and it sags your tarp will be a nice 4-6 above which yields adequate ventilation to avoid condensation issues and is low, super coverage for a storm.

Pan

parsond
2005-07-27, 16:47
What if there are no trees to tie off the tarp too? Or is it an absolute requirement to hang in a spot where I can tie off the tarp cords to a tree?

Any advice?

Thanks again,
Dan (A.K.A. "Grub Steak" on the trail)

Just Jeff
2005-07-27, 16:59
What he means is...

Don't attach the tarp to the clips on the hammock support ropes. Tie the tarp directly to the same trees that you hung your hammock from. Then stake out the side guys just like normal.

On windy, rainy nights, the tarp should be tied several inches BELOW the tree huggers.

Or you could make a slingshot tarp tensioner...takes about 30 seconds for each end. Pan doesn't like these, though... :p

peter_pan
2005-07-27, 22:08
Just Jeff, et al.

Sling shot tensioner are ok...they just add an ounce....

Thanks for clarifying my tree reference....It been said so many times I almost expect to hear the chorus, all together...."TIE To The Trees".

( Then if you really want the most taut and beautiful tarp, use sling shot tensioners).

Pan

parsond
2005-07-28, 00:36
I get it...thanks guys. Why doesn't the Hennessy site recommend this?

Grub steak

CanoeCamper
2005-07-28, 01:04
:confused: Would some one please elaborate on the "slingshot" tensioner?

Just Jeff
2005-07-28, 02:16
Hennessey's marketing strategy seems to be having the most convenient and lightest hammock on the market. It's very convenient to have two less knots to tie, and you can save the weight of two more 9-12' cords.

The problem is that when you sit in the hammock, the points where the tarp attaches come closer together, which causes the tarp to sag. For some reason, this affects some people more than others...might be body weight. I never really had a problem with it, but now that I use the JRB 8x8 I think it's more convenient to be able to hang the tarp separately, anyway...even if it means tying two more knots (or lashings, actually).

A tarp tensioner is basically a piece of shock cord, sling shot, or surgical tubing, that you tie along the tarp guylines to take up slack. A few ways it can work:
1 - You can stretch it as far as it goes, so that it will take up the slack during the night, as the tarp stretches and sags due to moisture and temperature change.
2 - You can stretch it somewhere about halfway, so that the elastic will stretch to absorb the force of powerful wind gusts. This reduces some of the wind force the tarp suffers.
3 - You can put them on the HH tarp attachment, so that when you sit in the hammock and the supports move closer together, the tensioner will take up the slack and you'll still have a tight tarp.

I use mine the first way. When I've camped with a military issue poncho, I can cinch the sucker down so tight it'll never sag. But with sil I'm more careful, so to keep a tight pitch I like the slingshots.

There are lots of ways to make them...here's mine:
http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HomemadeGearTarpTensioner.html

parsond
2005-07-28, 10:26
This is very helpful...thanks!

What do you mean by "Tarp Guylines"?

Dan

youngblood
2005-07-28, 11:23
I get it...thanks guys. Why doesn't the Hennessy site recommend this?

Grub steakDon't know for sure, but suspect it is because his tarps are on the small side and a smaller tarp needs to be closer to get enough coverage. Remember, his attachment clips probably weigh about as much as light weight guyline.

Youngblood

Just Jeff
2005-07-28, 12:42
Guylines are the lines used to tie up your tarp. Just call it cord if you want...same thing.