PDA

View Full Version : Montana stage 2 fire restrictions

dropkick
2005-08-03, 02:57
Well, my county and the neighboring county just raised the fire danger to extreme and instituted stage 2 fire restrictions on USDA and any other government owned land.

The following acts are prohibited until further notice:

Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire or campfire anywhere in the described areas (includes developed recreation sites). This includes the use of sterno fuel and charcoal grills.

Smoking, except in buildings, vehicles, or while stopped in an area at least three (3) feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.

The following acts are prohibited from 1:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.:

Operating a internal combustion engine.

Operating motorized vehicles.

Welding or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame.

Using an explosive.

A patrol is required for two hours following cessation of all work as described above.

Ouch.... there go my plans.

Rage in a Cage
2005-08-03, 03:20
Well that sucks. I am glad we don't have to deal with that sort of thing here. Even though we have been threatened with the delay of hunting season a time or two due to fire risk.

SGT Rock
2005-08-03, 05:33
The following acts are prohibited from 1:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.:

Operating a internal combustion engine.

Operating motorized vehicles.

Welding or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame.

I assume this means off paved road. It seems there wouldn't be an issue with operating a vehicle on a road.

toyfj40
2005-08-03, 16:37
I found this WebSite recently and added it to my
favorite/quick-link list...

http://fire.boi.noaa.gov/

--toyfj40

dropkick
2005-08-04, 02:09
I assume this means off paved road. It seems there wouldn't be an issue with operating a vehicle on a road.

I think that established roads are o.k. though I don't get the time limits.
I have stayed at USDA campsites during stage 2's before, some of which were accessable only by dirt roads, and had no problems.
However, the rules have changed from the way they used to read, and I haven't tested it this year.

There wasn't the internal combustion engine ban before (for generators?), and the old vehicle rule only prohibited offroad use.

Offroad vehicle use is now prohibited year round.
I agree with this rule - except for vehicle use in some logging/and or management. (I support selective cut and burn area harvesting).

The copies of the new rules that have been released so far are very general and different versions I have read have slight differences. Possibly by district: fire/ranger/forest/state/county or changes due to law suits by the enviro-obstructionists, who knows??

I don't even know how they will look upon my alcohol stove - in one version I read it sounded like I wouldn't be able to use it (not to mention my Sierra - enclosed fire or not?? - my guess is banned).

Need to stop at the neighborhood ranger station.